“Loved the Omni Royal!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Bay Area, California
“Loved the Omni Royal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

Stayed at the Omni February 2007. Very nice hotel and a 5 minute walk to Bourbon Street. Close enough to Bourbon St. to walk safely, but far enough that its nice and quiet when you want to rest. Got a nice discount as well from an entertainment book we had purchased previously that included hotel discounts. We'll definitely stay at the Omni Royal Orleans again!

• Liked — Its close, safe walking distance to Bourbon Street
  • Disliked — Rooms were a bit small
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

I was at a convention in New Orleans. I loved the Omni hotel in Orlando, and was hoping for a similar experience, but I didn’t get it.

PROS:
Great location in the French Quarter. Friendly service throughout the hotel. I needed to get to the convention center for a 7 AM meeting, but the Rib Room didn’t open for breakfast until 6:30. The matre’d was so kind, he took me in at 6:15 and totally took care of me. Even brought the eggs on their way to the buffet to my table so I didn’t have to get up to go back to the buffet. The breakfast buffet was standard---but the croissants were disappointing and dry. I would recommend Fleur de Lis for breakfast up near the W hotel---it’s close by. It seems hard to find anyplace but hotels for breakfast before 8 AM.

All my requirements for my room were met: two beds, non smoking, no adjoining door. I asked for a quiet room, and was on the 3rd floor. It was quiet, except that at 4 or 5 AM each morning someone with a cart full of what sounded liked glasses would walk down the hall.

The rooftop pool, balcony, and workout room looked quite nice.

CONS:
The bathroom was very small (only one person could fit in it, unless someone was in the shower). Had some mold in the shower, the curtain had stains on it, and the toilet was an industrial one (flush with your foot).

The floor on the rug had two huge stains on it---looked like they tried to get them out and that in doing so left bigger marks.

The bed was OK in terms of comfort---not the heavenly bed like at other chains. The sheets were thin, had holes/rips, and stains. Pillows were flat and the comforter was old and pilly and had stains on the underside. Also, when I looked under the sheet, there was a mattress pad that was a complete wreck with hair, stains, and what looked like crumbs. I put a towel down and slept on that. There’s just no way to get around a yucky bed.

I am part of their Select Guest program, so the night before I ordered my complimentary coffee to be delivered between 7 and 7:15. It arrived at exactly 7:30. :-(

Think I'll try someplace else when I'm in NOLA again.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Goldrusswoman
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2007

First, I'll start off by saying I understand that we stayed at the hotel at one of the craziest times of the year (Mardi Gras) so I will be fair in my review. The location is great and I have to say the front desk checked me in quickly but when we got up to our room I was very disappointed with the size. I have never stayed in such a small room before and barely had room for two people and two suit cases! When I called to make the reservation I asked if we could possibly get a room with a view and was told they could get me something, well they did and I had a beautiful view of a brick wall. The comforter on the bed was old and ripped and the cleaning people kept forgetting to leave us towels after they cleaned. Also be warned that they charge $30 a day for parking in the hotel lot. For $250 a night we were VERY disappointed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank chris1205
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

My husband had to attend a seminar in New Orleans and, lucky for us, the meetings were held in the Omni, allowing us to book a room at discounted rates. I made our reservations directly with the hotel and the reservationist was very efficient and helpful. We were able to get a balcony room. The hotel itself is lovely. Check in was a breeze and I found the staff to be extremely accommodating and friendly. The room is not large, but it was nicely appointed and clean. Other reviewers have commented on the small size of the bathroom but we thought it was fine. The maid service was also exemplary; our requests were always accommodated. As mentioned in previous reviews, the location is excellent, easy walking distance of fantastic restaurants, Jackson Square, the casino, etc. We ate breakfast in the Rib Room the last morning and our server was fantastic. The buffet breakfast was good and, when my husband only ate some cereal, fruit and bacon, he was only charged for the cereal. Overall we had a fantastic stay and will definitely return to the Omni on our next trip to New Orleans. One final comment . . . we returned to Arnaud's which was our favorite meal the last time we were in New Orleans. While the food was still excellent, the service left a lot to be desired. They did, however, try to make amends by giving us our dessert and drinks on the house. I guess the effects of Katrina are still impacting their ability to find adequate staff. We would still give them another try. Our other dinner was at K Paul's which was fantastic, complete with a Dixie band that strolled through the restaurant and even to the kitchen. I love New Olreans and we will definitely return.

• Liked — The Staff, Balcony and Location
  • Disliked — Slow elevators (to be expected in an older building, I think)
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2007

"One day, I'm going to stay at THAT hotel," I told myself on each of my earlier trips to New Orleans. The Onmi Royal Orleans had been on my wish list for a long time and I finally got to stay there last July (06). It was almost everything I had hoped for. The location is truly wonderful: 2 blocks from Jackson Square, and within a block or two of many of the best restaurants in the Quarter.

The Napoleon House, across street, has the most wonderful Muffalettas, and you can have a nice lunch for pretty cheap. Brennan's, K Pal's, NOLA, and Antoine's are all within a block of this wonderful hotel. And when the torrential rains come, as they tend to do in New Orleans, it is nice to be so close to great food.

The room was nice. It wasn't big, but it was clean and nicely appointed. The rooftop pool is lovely and the bar up there is a nice place to be as the sun sets. The staff was so, so helpful. The conceirge was there when I needed one, and he was very helpful in arranging a couple of tours.

Breakfast was wonderful at the Rib Room downstairs and the wait staff was also very accommodating. I meant to eat lunch there at least once. It is the regular lunch place for judges and politcos (with the court house across the street). But I never ended up being at the hotel at lunch time. I did see the mayor, Ray Nagin, having breakfast there one morning. It was interesting watching some locals come up to kiss his ring (figuratively, of course).

I hope I get to stay at the Omni Royal Orleans again. I would highly recommend it to those who go to New Orleans because they love the history and the culture.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank snorkeledmolokini
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

This hotel has most everything. It’s historic (has a Led Zeppelin song written about it), romantic, physically nice, and is in the best possible location in the French Quarter (within two blocks of Jackson Square, Court of two Sisters, and the most essential areas of Bourbon Street and the Royal Street antique shops – three blocks from Café Du’ Monde and Jax Brewery). The rooms feel great, and the balcony views (as in our room) are terrific for a great street side feel, and for people watching. The lobby was well appointed but not large (not surprising for a 5 star old city hotel). The experience was pretty great for the most part, as we walked to Charters House Cafe and Pat O’Brien’s, stared out the balcony, looked at antique shops, went to the CDM gift shop, and breakfasted at the Court of Two Sisters, with easy walks (sober and otherwise).

The issues we had with the hotel, which in no way spoiled the experience had to do with service. Firstly, the valet parking was both expensive and seemed completely disconnected from the hotel. When dropping off the car, the lobby is not the easiest to get to and requires a trip down a lengthy ramp, and either up a flight of stairs or through the elevator. The bell service was not present in the parking pull area and, though I’m sure the attendant would have called one had I asked, never inquired whether we wanted a bellhop.

Second, the maids knocked early, and then opened the door which was latched. This was followed by repeated attempts to get into the room every half hour till we got up (I got up at the final knock, and was greeted by a hotel administrator who wanted to know if we had any room service implements in the room because they needed them… I found this odd and a bit irritating).

Otherwise this was a great great experience. The online price we found was incredibly reasonable, and we upgraded to a balcony room for little more. The night was magical (my wife and I spent our first married night in this hotel), and, despite a few wrinkles in the service, would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone.

4.5 stars

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — The disconnect between parking and bell service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NevadaGal
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed at the Omni for 5 nights (2 rooms) over New Years. Reviews I had read were mixed but their price was the best for a 4 star. Forget all of those mediocre reviews, the hotel was incredible, the service from the doorman and bellman to the front desk, housekeeping, all were attentive and always available. The rooms were a good size with great views, great bathrooms, incredible showers, furnishings were beautiful. I am very, very picky and I have no complaints, this hotel is nearly a 5 star in my opinion, can't wait to go back and by the way try their bar Touche, what a great place.

• Liked — everything was incredible, check out the rooftop pool and gym
  • Disliked — nothing, no complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — book in advance for best rate
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)