“Loved the Omni...Odd Parking and Bell Services”
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans
Ranked #20 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 3, 2007

This hotel has most everything. It’s historic (has a Led Zeppelin song written about it), romantic, physically nice, and is in the best possible location in the French Quarter (within two blocks of Jackson Square, Court of two Sisters, and the most essential areas of Bourbon Street and the Royal Street antique shops – three blocks from Café Du’ Monde and Jax Brewery). The rooms feel great, and the balcony views (as in our room) are terrific for a great street side feel, and for people watching. The lobby was well appointed but not large (not surprising for a 5 star old city hotel). The experience was pretty great for the most part, as we walked to Charters House Cafe and Pat O’Brien’s, stared out the balcony, looked at antique shops, went to the CDM gift shop, and breakfasted at the Court of Two Sisters, with easy walks (sober and otherwise).

The issues we had with the hotel, which in no way spoiled the experience had to do with service. Firstly, the valet parking was both expensive and seemed completely disconnected from the hotel. When dropping off the car, the lobby is not the easiest to get to and requires a trip down a lengthy ramp, and either up a flight of stairs or through the elevator. The bell service was not present in the parking pull area and, though I’m sure the attendant would have called one had I asked, never inquired whether we wanted a bellhop.

Second, the maids knocked early, and then opened the door which was latched. This was followed by repeated attempts to get into the room every half hour till we got up (I got up at the final knock, and was greeted by a hotel administrator who wanted to know if we had any room service implements in the room because they needed them… I found this odd and a bit irritating).

Otherwise this was a great great experience. The online price we found was incredibly reasonable, and we upgraded to a balcony room for little more. The night was magical (my wife and I spent our first married night in this hotel), and, despite a few wrinkles in the service, would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone.

4.5 stars

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NevadaGal

Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed at the Omni for 5 nights (2 rooms) over New Years. Reviews I had read were mixed but their price was the best for a 4 star. Forget all of those mediocre reviews, the hotel was incredible, the service from the doorman and bellman to the front desk, housekeeping, all were attentive and always available. The rooms were a good size with great views, great bathrooms, incredible showers, furnishings were beautiful. I am very, very picky and I have no complaints, this hotel is nearly a 5 star in my opinion, can't wait to go back and by the way try their bar Touche, what a great place.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 20, 2006

I had a wonderful stay at the Omni! The location is EXCELLENT, minutes away from everything in the Quarter, and the staff was AWESOME, so welcoming and helpful. My standard room was good size, but the bathroom was very small and awkward. This really didn't bother me, however, 'cause I was just happy to be back in NOLA and absolutely loved everything else about the hotel. It was gorgeously decorated for Christmas and very luxurious. It is big enough to have privacy, but small enough to have a friendly feel and get to know the staff. We ate in the Rib Room and the food was delicious. The little bar Touche around the corner is also a relaxing place to go for a drink or two at the end of the night and a great place to meet locals and hear Quarter tales. I would definetely recommend the "Royal O" to anyone planning to visit the city.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank IrshIz
Reviewed December 18, 2006

We just visited NO this past weekend and was very satisfied with the Omni Royal Orleans. Unlike past reviews, there were numerous doormen to greet guests, take luggage, direct guests to elevators etc. Check-in was a breeze and we were assigned a King Bedded room with a courtyard view. Our room wasn't overly small and it boasted a massive jetted tub with nice showerhead all in one. I don't know what room type it was but it met all of our needs. All of the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and, as with all the locals we ran into, were very thankful to have tourism back to NO. I have to admit that the tourist areas of the city including the French Quarter look even better than they did before. I am a travel agent and would not hesitate to send my clients to New Orleans for a leisure or business purposes.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 30, 2006

Several years ago I had a drink on the roof of the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel and vowed to return as a guest. The opportunity arose during Thanksgiving week 2006, and I ernestly looked forward to my stay. As a member of the Omni hotel's club, I expected even better service than usual.
The initial let down happened as soon as I arrived as there was no door man to greet me or to help with my luggage. The front desk informed me that the roof top pool, bar, and health club were closed for renovations, but I could work out at The Monteleone Hotel three blocks down the street. Thanks a lot! Couldn't I be informed of the health clubs closing before I arrived? I went to my room on the 6th floor and was somewhat taken a back. I had been upgraded, but this room was small, dark, dingy and the bedspread had a large hole in it. I was just about to switch hotels when I realized I would be late for a luncheon meeting. This would be a room I would have to endure. On the positive side, the towels were plentiful and thick. The shower had excellent pressure and I was located in the heart of the Quarter, but away from the tumult of Bourbon Street.
I did work out at the Monteleone Hotel and was surprised at how nice it was. The doorman greeted me each morning with a big hello and the Carrousel Bar was fun. I checked out the rooms at the Monteleone, and they were much nicer than what I was forced to experience at the Omni Royal Orleans. The next time I am in New Orleans, the Hotel Monteleone will be my choice.
New Orleans has not recovered from the devastation caused by Hurricaine Katrina and the ineptitude of the federal, state, and city agencies that let the people of this special city down. Travelers need to return to the "Crescent City" and spend some money to help the city get back on its feet. The Quarter and the Marigny are in fine shape, and the food and music still resonate with the "soul" and "heart" of N'Awlins.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank Philip G
Reviewed November 27, 2006

I just returned from New Orleans and stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans over the Thanksgiving weekend. The location was excellent and within walking distance to everything in the French Quarter and Harrahs. The first thing I noticed when driving up to the Omni was that it looked freshly painted. The lobby was very impressive with Christmas decorations, and the staff throughout the hotel were very helpful and friendly. The valet parkers were extremely nice as was the bell hop. Kudos to great service at the Omni!

I arrived around 1:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving, and my room was ready to check-in (view of Louisiana Supreme Court Bldg. on St. Louis St.). That was a big plus for me. I made my reservation through the hotel website and signed up for Omni Select Guest membership. I requested express check-in, king size bed, extra pillows, blankets, high floor room, quiet room, etc., not close to elevators, and I received everything I asked for. We had turndown service every night and received a USA Today newspaper every morning at our door. There is also complimentary morning beverages. I highly recommend signing up for Select Guest membership because, from the previous reviews, it seems to make a difference.

Our room was very spacious, clean, and nicely decorated on the 6th floor. The only downside to this room was the bathroom that was a little on the small size. It was not a problem though. There was a marble vanity with a magnified mirror. The tile and bathtub were older but there was a new massage showerhead that worked beautifully with strong water pressure and always hot. The bedspread was probably a little older but seemed clean. The mattress was firm which my husband loved, and we had plenty of pillows. There was a digital thermostat in the room which made it very easy to adjust the temperature, and it cooled off or warmed up quickly after adjusting. It was very quiet on our floor until Friday night when the weekend crowd arrived for the Bayou Classic (Grambling v. SU). Even then, I did not hear anyone in the rooms next to us. The noise came from the hallway. I have visited New Orleans many times, and noise is inevitable at one time or another during the weekend. It would not prevent me from staying at the Omni Royal again.

There is a rooftop pool, fitness room, observation deck, but it is closed until December 4 for renovation. The Hotel Monteleone's pool and fitness center is available if you show your hotel key. I was disappointed that we could not use these amenities and see the view.

If you have always loved New Orleans, I would recommend returning. The French Quarter is up and running with the old icons like Cafe Du Monde, Cafe Maspero, Court of Two Sisters, Nolas, Brennans, Mothers--the list goes on and on. There were a few places not open, but it looks like it won't be long when everything will be back to normal. There are a lot of renovations going on which is great for New Orleans. Harrahs was in full swing. The Riverwalk had most of their restaurants and shops open. The French Market was about half open, but my favorite praline store was closed (very disappointed with that). The fortune tellers are there along with the artists as well as the horse and carriage rides. Bourbon Street was as busy as ever (some things never change). The St. Charles Streetcar is not running because they are replacing the wires. I do not know when it will be running. The city buses are running so that is always an option.

Please visit New Orleans and the Omni Royal. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CS&EDP
Reviewed November 26, 2006

If you're familiar with Omnis, you know they are known for great service and clean rooms. This hotel is not like any other Omni I've been to. The rooms are tiny, the bed cover was one of those multi colored generic ones to hide all the stains I assume, and the bathroom shower curtain was very dirty. The toilet flushes like one of those industrial ones...extremely loud. I've never seen a toilet flush like that inside a residential building. The pool is nice but unfortunately was under construction when we were here. They allowed their guests to use a pool at a nearby hotel, the Monteleone, which is one of the best hotels in NO. Oh, and the concierge doesn't exist. We were here for 5 nights and every day, there was a different excuse as to why he is not here...lunch break, he's off for the night, didn't come in, etc. Very unhelpful. And the parking charges are ridiculous. If you rent a car, you can park on the street beginning at 6pm Friday all the way til 8 am Monday morning if it's a metered spot without paying. Other than that, there really isn't much to do in NO. The Creole food got old quickly. We opted for places like the Hard Rock after the initial bad experience with the food here. If you plan on coming to NO, 3 days is more than enough. There really is not much going on here. It's not the best area to be walking around at night, especially if you're female. So to sum it up, there are much better places in which to stay in NO. Better yet, avoid it all together.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple