“Love NOLA”

Ranked #15 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Vancouver, B.C.
“Love NOLA”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My husband and I just got back from a 5-day trip to New Orleans. We booked a flight + hotel package on travelocity.ca. We picked the Omni Royal Orleans because of it's great reviews on Tripadvisor and it's central location. We signed up for the free Omni membership so that we would get free WiFi, daily free breakfast beverages and points for airline. The hotel did not disappoint. It's on St. Louis St. & Royal. A very central yet quieter spot of the French Quarter. The staff was great, the room was clean, and we had a view of the high court across the street. The bathroom was a bit small though but the entire hotel was full of characteristics. We went up to their roof top pool one late afternoon and they had a great view of the city from up there. We didn't try their food services, but we heard their Rib Room is highly recommended. For breakfast, we went across the street to Pierre Maspero. It's a historical building, great decor and prices are very reasonable for the area. For dinner, we went to Oceana, Coop Place and the Red Fish Grill. We had the best fish dishes ever at the Red Fish Grill! Don't miss out on their blackened escolar, fried catfish and pre-order the double chocolate bread pudding.
For tours, we went with Cajun Encounters for their Swamp tour, it's the best in the city. And we took all three street cars to explore the rest of the city ourselves.
Taxis are plenty. Fixed charge from the airport to the hotel is $33 (+ tips) for 1 or 2 ppl., cheaper than the airport shuttle, which is $20pp each way.
Overall, great trip, great hotel. I wouldn't recommend picking any hotels located right on Bourbon or Canal as you get some odd characters hanging around outside the hotel at all hours. There are some boutique hotels we saw around Jefferson square are pretty quaint.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SasaMommy
OmniRoyalOrleans, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
Thank you for the wonderful response of your recent visit to the Omni Royal Orleans! We are very proud of our Select Guest program which offers perks such as complimentary morning beverage service, complimentary wifi, express check in and complimentary pressing just to name a few. We hope to see you again on your next visit to The Big Easy!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I have stayed here twice for work and I love the place! The second stay they didn't have the room ready on time but they sent us to the bar/restaurant on them where we got amazing service and a great cocktail. Enjoyed drinks poolside and the great staff. Planning to go back for my honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Mahopac, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2010

If you are looking to stay in the French Quarter but want the quiet of a Country Inn, this hotel is for you. The location is perfect. Step out of the hotel, walk half a block and you are on Royal Street. This is the daytime music street of New Orleans. The street is barricaded from cars and musicians play for tips. In the evening you only have to walk one block further to get to the loud but exciting Bourbon Street.
You can’t help but be impressed walking into the Omni. The lobby is elegant, the staff is very friendly and the rooms match the lobby décor. A delicious buffet breakfast is served in the dining room. It is expensive, but the omelet, fresh fruit and friendly staff are at least worth a one-day try. Most mornings we had room service. My husband cleverly signed us up for the Omni select guest program, which entitled us to free WIFI, and each of us 2 free beverages every morning. In addition, we added bagels & muffins to the order at a reasonable price. The breakfast always arrived on the specified time and an extra special treat was our choice of having it delivered in our room or just a knock to let us know breakfast had arrived. Two of the days there was a slight mix up in our order but the staff quickly and apologetically fixed the order.
The Omni is a large hotel – 7 floors – with each floor having many hallways but all are kept spotless. We stayed on the 7th floor –no balcony. I requested a quiet room since sleep is a priority – we are more daytime sightseers.
The pool on the roof is worth a visit and the bar there serves tasty “hurricanes” which is the drink of New Orleans. There is also a splendid view of the Mississippi River.
Our only complaint was with housekeeping. On arrival we found the room safe locked. We had to wait for security to come and unlock the safe and wait as we set up our own password. When we asked how to unlock the mini-bar, we were told since the key was not left for us, we needed to get it from the front desk. In addition, most times our room was not made up until the afternoon. Being out early in the morning we looked forward to coming back to a clean room and the chance to relax. Instead, one day we came back at 3 in the afternoon to find housekeeping making up the bed.
I am not sure if the housekeeping manager is in charge of room renovations, regardless, room renovations should not be done on floors where guests are staying. Each day we would walk through our floor hallway where maintenance people would be painting and noisily repairing rooms. Fortunately, we did not hear anything or smell paint in our room but we were concerned.
The Omni is an expensive hotel but you do get what you pay for. Friendly service, clean facilities and great location far out way the few problems we had. This would not deter us from staying there again. The concierge desk was also extremely helpful in suggesting different restaurants in the area – which there were plenty and the ones we went to serve delicious food. The Omni & New Orleans are a great place to visit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joy02748096
Southern California
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans May 9-14, and it was an excellent experience. The location of this hotel is amazing - it's just a short walk to anywhere you might want to go in the French Quarter, including: Jackson Square/Cabildo; Cafe du Monde; shopping on Royal, Chartres and Decatur; Emeril's Nola; K'Pauls; Bourbon Street; and much more. Napoleon House and Johnny's Po Boys, both famous destinations, are literally less than a block away. Antoine's Annex (new place, with pastries and coffee) is out the door and around the corner, and I went down for fresh, warmed chocolate croissants in the mornings when it opened.

As for the hotel itself, all the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping to the bell captains and doorman, were amazingly friendly and helpful, and went out of their way to give excellent service with a smile. The doorman remembered me each and every time I entered the hotel, and sometimes asked about places I'd been. What a lovely experience. Because I am a member of the Select Guest program, wireless internet was free, and I received complimentary beverages each morning, right on time. There was a small overbilling issue re the minibar, which was resolved immediately once brought to the front desk's attention. The pool and rooftop deck are amazing; room service was very good.

Best of all -- I had a premiere room with balcony overlooking Royal St, and a second line parade went by out of the blue at about 8:30 in the evening on one night of my stay. I felt so lucky, and so much a part of New Orleans at that moment. Every night, there were street performers singing and playing in the street below; I loved it, and kept the balcony doors open for it, tho if you are a light sleeper, you won't have fun. But in general, I really, really recommend the balcony rooms. You can't help but feel connected to the Quarter when you can step outside and see everything happening below.

I can't wait to go back to New Orleans, and when I do, I will be staying at this hotel again. And asking for the same room; I hope they will humor me, and let me have it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank metalligirl
OmniRoyalOrleans, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans. We are happy that you experienced the Royal O treatment during your stay here with us! It is our goal to show each guest our southern hospitality. Thank you for your support of the ORO and all the great compliments. We look forward to your next visit with us in the Crescent City!
Rockwall, Tx.
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Went to N.O. for bday trip. Unless we are in our motorhome, we always stay at the Onmi Royal Orleans. Love the Location (perfect! In the middle of everything, but quiet!) and the service is always accomodating and friendly. Make you want to return!! Glad to hear they are renevating the rooms. Will be beautiful, I'm sure.
We always try to get a room with a balcony so we can watch the street traffic below.
Always interesting!!!
The rooftop pool and covered bar area is a welcome refuge from Bourbon Street.
Great drinks!
Will probably visit again later this year.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans. We are happy to hear that you enjoy each stay with us, it is always a pleasure having our guests return! Thank you for the kind words about the service and accommodations. We appreciate your loyal patronage!
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I typically look for smaller, historic hotels to stay in when I'm in New Orleans, but I was travelling with my mom who prefers large, reliable chains, so I chose this as a compromise between the two and couldn't have been happier. Our room wasn't ready at check in time, but they made it up to us with complimentary drinks in their bar (fantastic view, excellent mojitos!) The room was huge, a suite, with plenty of antique elements to keep me happy and modern luxuries like refrigerators and fold-out couch for mom. There was a little kitchen room off the sitting area, which was fabulous since we tend to bring along nibbles and wine for late night conversation. I'd love to see a microwave added to the kitchen, or some other heating option just to round things out.
Love the little historical elements, the rooftop view and heated pool, the lovely common areas in the lobby, and the location. The room rates were excellent. The view from our room was a little bit lacking (was "courtyard view" but this time of year there was just a vacant space to look at. I'm guessing that they have plants and things other times of year since there were some planters pushed to the side, etc.) and the shower took an eternity to warm up, but it's an older hotel and the charm, to me, is well worth the small inconveniences.
One fun art-deco detail to check out while you're there: The glass mail slot that links all of the floors so you can watch outgoing mail sail past your floor down to the mail room. Anouther fun reason to send postcards while you're in town. These appear to have been very popular in hotels in the early 1900's. Look for them as you start down the hall to the guest rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ratgirlNC
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans. We are happy that both you and your mother enjoyed the accommodations. Thank you for the lovely description of hotel and its amenities, as well as your suggestions! We truly appreciate your patronage and hope that you stay with us again the next time you visit New Orleans.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I'll preface this by saying that typically I like to stay at smaller boutique-type hotels when I visit New Orleans. With that said, I loved this place. Location-wise, it's perfect. Close to everything you'd want to see and do in the Quarter.

The room was on the small side but it wasn't too small. We had a Deluxe room which according to the website is 125 sq feet. There was plenty of room to fit our stuff. The bed and pillows were comfortable.
The bathroom area was again small, but had large mirrors on two walls and adequate granite counter space. The shower was large and nice. Nice big towels.

The pool area is on the rooftop and has a good view of the Quarter and the Mississippi. The pool itself is large and there were quite a few comfortable lounge chairs. I haven't seen every pool at every hotel in the Quarter but I've seen a lot of them and this is by far the best.

Every staff member that we came in contact with was very friendly.

We were members of the select guest program (which is free) so we got free coffee delivered in the morning, as well as free wi-fi (regularly $10/day). I highly recommend joining if you plan to stay here.

I would sum it up by saying that although this hotel is part of a chain and is very large, it has a ton of New Orleans charm. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingDan76
OmniRoyalOrleans, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans! We are happy that you had a great stay and enjoyed the accommodations. Thank you for the great description of the ORO, its amenities and the compliments to the staff. We truly appreciate your business as well as your recommendation to stay here! Please come see us again the next time you are in New Orleans.