“Great location, value, service, style.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans
Ranked #10 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Raleigh, NC
“Great location, value, service, style.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I typically look for smaller, historic hotels to stay in when I'm in New Orleans, but I was travelling with my mom who prefers large, reliable chains, so I chose this as a compromise between the two and couldn't have been happier. Our room wasn't ready at check in time, but they made it up to us with complimentary drinks in their bar (fantastic view, excellent mojitos!) The room was huge, a suite, with plenty of antique elements to keep me happy and modern luxuries like refrigerators and fold-out couch for mom. There was a little kitchen room off the sitting area, which was fabulous since we tend to bring along nibbles and wine for late night conversation. I'd love to see a microwave added to the kitchen, or some other heating option just to round things out.
Love the little historical elements, the rooftop view and heated pool, the lovely common areas in the lobby, and the location. The room rates were excellent. The view from our room was a little bit lacking (was "courtyard view" but this time of year there was just a vacant space to look at. I'm guessing that they have plants and things other times of year since there were some planters pushed to the side, etc.) and the shower took an eternity to warm up, but it's an older hotel and the charm, to me, is well worth the small inconveniences.
One fun art-deco detail to check out while you're there: The glass mail slot that links all of the floors so you can watch outgoing mail sail past your floor down to the mail room. Anouther fun reason to send postcards while you're in town. These appear to have been very popular in hotels in the early 1900's. Look for them as you start down the hall to the guest rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ratgirlNC
OmniRoyalOrleans, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans. We are happy that both you and your mother enjoyed the accommodations. Thank you for the lovely description of hotel and its amenities, as well as your suggestions! We truly appreciate your patronage and hope that you stay with us again the next time you visit New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I'll preface this by saying that typically I like to stay at smaller boutique-type hotels when I visit New Orleans. With that said, I loved this place. Location-wise, it's perfect. Close to everything you'd want to see and do in the Quarter.

The room was on the small side but it wasn't too small. We had a Deluxe room which according to the website is 125 sq feet. There was plenty of room to fit our stuff. The bed and pillows were comfortable.
The bathroom area was again small, but had large mirrors on two walls and adequate granite counter space. The shower was large and nice. Nice big towels.

The pool area is on the rooftop and has a good view of the Quarter and the Mississippi. The pool itself is large and there were quite a few comfortable lounge chairs. I haven't seen every pool at every hotel in the Quarter but I've seen a lot of them and this is by far the best.

Every staff member that we came in contact with was very friendly.

We were members of the select guest program (which is free) so we got free coffee delivered in the morning, as well as free wi-fi (regularly $10/day). I highly recommend joining if you plan to stay here.

I would sum it up by saying that although this hotel is part of a chain and is very large, it has a ton of New Orleans charm. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingDan76
OmniRoyalOrleans, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans! We are happy that you had a great stay and enjoyed the accommodations. Thank you for the great description of the ORO, its amenities and the compliments to the staff. We truly appreciate your business as well as your recommendation to stay here! Please come see us again the next time you are in New Orleans.
Fayetteville, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband and I went to New Orleans one year ago to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, and chose the Omni Royal Orleans, thinking it would be an elegant spot to celebrate - I mentioned the occasion when I made the reservation, and he promised we would get special attention...so we were disappointed when there was no acknowledgement of it whatsoever (I can't help it - I was hoping for an upgrade, maybe some champagne...or at least a "Happy Anniversary" from the desk clerk...it's the Omni after all). And in addition, I had asked for the sofa bed to be made up and that had not been done...when we discovered it had no linens it was midnight and it was nearly 1AM before housekeeping got there. In short, the hotel was lovely but we happened to experience a couple of problems. I expressed this in my Tripadvisor review, and also in an Omni review, and much to my surprise I was contacted by the manager, who graciously offered to make up for forgetting our anniversary by treating us to a free accomodation in a suite, complete with strawberries and champagne! It was an offer too generous to refuse, so this year we returned to New Orleans to celebrate our 31st anniversary at the Omni. The room they provided us was simply beautiful. Two separated rooms and two full baths, on a corner. It was perfection. And we returned from our walk to discover champagne and strawberries chilled and waiting, with a lovely note from the manager. This time our stay was simply marvelous. The staff was surperb, the room so nice I didn't want to leave....so we did stay longer at our own expense, and also tried The Rib Room downstairs - and it turned out to be simply outstanding - I highly recommend it - food was far better than Antoine's. I had an appetizer that I am still dreaming about - fried oysters on a cornbread (I think) waffle with some sort of sauce and a sweet reduction around the edge...oh my gosh...if they still have it on the menu, order it. And my entree, the seafood combination, or medley, was just as delicious. So after two anniversaries spent at the Omni Royal Orleans, I can report that it is in the best possible location in the French Quarter, is perfectly appointed (the regular rooms are small, but managable and elegant - the one bedroom suites are large - bathrooms are not quite a wow but very, very nicely appointed and spotless), the staff is wonderful throughout, the nice doorman spoke to us every time we went in or out, the rooftop deck is heavenly and was never too crowded to enjoy - with access to the roof, you don't really need a balcony off your room.......we love this hotel.....and we are now planning to be there on our 32nd anniversary as well. Thank you Omni Royal Orleans for making our 31st one very special!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tbevis
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Great location, wonderful staff, smart and clean - stay here!

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the 5 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind words and recommendation, we truly appreciate your business – thank you for choosing the ORO!
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Rooms are comfy with great bed & pillows... we had a king bed & the room seemed bigger than most. All amenities provided: coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, etc... Counterspace in bathroom was minimal, but not a problem. What else would you expect from such an old historic hotel? Rooms were very quiet, but some noise came in from the hallway - not through the walls. Maid service was fine - but never refilled coffee supplies. I didn't know about the complimentary morning beverages (later heard there was about a 1 hour wait for coffee delivery), so I just went down to get coffee at the little coffeeshop in the lobby. This is also the gift shop, which is not open very much. We did need some aspirin when it was closed, but the front desk went in & got it for us & charged it to our room. There was a charge for $ 50 from the Rib Room restaurant on our bill which wasn't ours - but was removed when I asked about it. So check your bill. I didn't use the minibar, but just bought soft drinks and water from store on the corner. Much cheaper I imagine, as the bottled mineral water in the room was $ 7 and a small soft drink at the rooftop bar was $ 4. Cost of the hotel was very reasonable for its location right in the heart of the French Quarter - about $160/night. Also gave us coupons for free beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumonds. The doorman Marty was absolutely the best - very helpful and friendly at all times. Overall very few problems and very helpful front desk.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for the 4 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans! We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. We do apologize that you were not made aware of the complimentary morning beverages that come with being a select guest. Hopefully that will be resolved the next time you visit us, we do appreciate your business! We will be sure to let Marty and the front desk know that you mentioned the helpful and friendly service you received from them.
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I stayed here for two nights during Jazzfest. I normally stay at La Pavilion, but booked two nights around three-four weeks prior for the Omni in the Quarter. Definitely liked the front desk staff, doormen/bellmen, and housekeeping. The room was older but well furnished, and small but efficient with a Queen. It's probably due for an update/renovation in the next 18 months. Rate was $300 during Jazzfest, just 50 less than top rate- but the hotel was sold out, I'm sure it would have been fully sold at full rate. Tried the Rib Room in the lower floor, a well designed, classic restaurant featuring good quality food with reasonable prices.

My complaints are reasonable: there was loud noise during sleeping hours in the adjacent walls from HVAC (mine was OFF) and water running in other rooms. When leaving the hotel in the morning, there were three housekeeping carts/crews working the floor but my room was untouched three hours later, which seemed VERY strange. I'm shocked at the NYC priced parking ($30/night) and internet charge ($10/day) which really irks me at nice hotels, and the bravado at loudly featuring Starbucks coffee (really, we can't do any better than this 7-11 streetcorner brand?)

Let's talk location: Royal Street, loads of galleries, close to the waterfront & Jackson Swuare, one block to Bourbon, and adjacent to Brennan's Emeril's NOLA restaurant, Paul Prudhomme's K-Paul restaurant, Maspero's Restaurant, and the esteemed Napoleon House bar. Short walk to Galatoire's or the Old Absythe House. Location in a word? IDEAL.

In summary, none of the touches of a five-star resort are here, but $300/night in the Quarter, a block from Bourbon, the location is surely deal, the staff and amenities are good. It's a fair value, good location, and a solid bet for a NOLA hotel. I would, and will, stay here again, as well as La Pavillion, Hotel Monteleon, or the W. A solid Omni Hotel experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 Thank YaleDad
OmniRoyalOrleans, Manager at Omni Royal Orleans, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Thank you for your review and for the nice location description of the Omni Royal Orleans. We are happy to hear that you liked the staff, it is our goal to treat every guest with the Royal O experience. We are planning a renovation later this year to improve our guest rooms, as well as other improvements. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again so you may experience the improvements. We truly appreciate your business!
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

We had a wonderful time in New Orleans staying at this hotel, because of its location, and the nice pool, lounge and gym on the roof. If you require a top-notch room, however, this isn't the place for you. For the money you're paying, you'd expect a bigger bed, better cable options, better pay movie options, free wifi and a larger room, with a better smell. (Had that cheap carpet smell, lots of cleaning products smell.) But we didn't spend much time in the room, anyway. When we weren't out enjoying the city, we'd hit the pool or gym. Fabulous view of the quarter and river from the roof.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your 4 star review of the Omni Royal Orleans! We are happy that you enjoyed the rooftop pool and fitness center. We are planning a renovation for later this year and we would love the opportunity to show you the improvements should you choose to stay at the ORO during your next New Orleans visit. We truly appreciate your business!