“Be A Guest!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Spring, Texas
“Be A Guest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Never have I experienced such a welcoming from any hotel staff! They make you truly feel like a guest in their home. What a treat! This trip is a Christmas present for my husband and myself, so we had high hopes that we would have a special time here. From the time we drove in, every person has gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. We are thrilled with our room-a balcony room that has been recently renovated. It is lovely. Yes there is construction, but I can't take off stars for that-every hotel has to go through renovations at some time. We did online check-in(super easy), and signed up ahead of time as members of their select club. It was well worth it-free wi-fi, free coffee & paper every morning, etc. The Christmas decorations are gorgeous and the location superb. After this experience, I plan on booking my next trip staying at on Omni property.

Room Tip: The new balcony rooms look out across the state Supreme Court building, which is fairly quiet and a...
1 Thank Laura R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at the royal omni before. For location in the French quarter it's really tough to beat. The service is good and the folks here are quite helpful.

On the down side it IS an old hotel so the insulation/soundproofing isn't the greatest. In fact it's 1 am and I can hear the creaking of the bed a floor above me. Fortunately there's not much movement.

And why is it, when I'm paying $400 a night for a suite, that it bothers me so to know the hotel is charging me $34/day to park my car when there is a lot right next door that only charges $20? I hate being taken advantage of and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth... Weird, eh?

The bed is comfortable as is the suite. The check in was a breeze, the wait staff pleasant, all in all it's fine. Not fantastic, not bad.... Just okay. Damn parking.... ..... ;-)

5 Thank Jad16
Steel City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Friendly early checkin.. Rooms are very small (we had upgraded to Deluxe) but clean, very smoke-free and elegantly decorated. VERY comfortable bed and pillows. TINY bathroom. Excellent service at desk-- no issue giving us free WiFi and late checkout. Sadly, the gorgeous pool area was closed, although we were told we could swim down the street at another hotel--not convenient for spontaneous dip or sunbathing.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Although our room was quite small, it was tasteful, comfortable and spotless. It was exactly what we needed for a week in New Orleans, and we were very pleased.

On the Friday night it was a little noisy in the hallway outside of our room when a handful of people came home from Bourbon St, but I don't think that noise would be a problem in a larger suite.

The location of the hotel was perfect - everything in the French Quarter (and beyond) is within walking distance. We especially enjoyed the proximity to Bourbon St.

The service was fantastic - staff there are attentive, happy, and enthusiastic!

Wifi is very spotty (frustrating!), and they charge for local calls, but those are really our only complaints. Starbucks coffee in the lobby was handy, and delivered to your room in the morning (free, if you're an Omni card holder) on request.

This Omni is one of the good ones, and is excellent value for your dollar.

A solid 4-star!

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The location is conveniently located in the French Quarter but I felt a little unsafe walking off the main strip even for the short distance down the dark, dark narrow street to the entrance. The hotel may be grand but at the moment, it's hard to tell with all the construction. The entrance is very pretty although the bell station is in the door up a short flight of steps which leaves you with the odd choice when you arrive of leaving your bags unattended (and out of sight) which you go up to ask for help, or dragging them up the stairs yourself.

The service was fine although I didn't experience much of it. My room on the 7th floor was small and so, so dark, it was a bit depressing. The bathroom similarly was so small, I couldn't manage all my toiletries. There was only one set of 2 plugs that wasn't either in the bathroom or behind a heavy piece of furniture (the TV armoire, etc) so if you're like me with a phone/tablet/laptop, being a multi-plug. The a/c system was loud and the walls are so thin, you can here every hallway conversation which is unfortunate if you are trying to go to bed at 11pm or so (like me) in New Orleans.

The loyalty program here is interesting. It’s great that you get free turndown service and pressing (so nice for the business traveler!) with it but I find it odd that they toss in turndown service (which you get at even a mid-level hotel) as a “perk”. In any case, sign up before you arrive and register your future stay as it seems they can’t give you all the benefits if you sign up at or after check-in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank SDHopper
North Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We made our reservation on Priceline and got a deal, Thursday - Saturday stay for $109 per night. Normally, rooms at the Omni run around $179 per night, so this was a definite improvement. You are best to use their valet parking, which will run you $38.08 per night ($34 plus tax.) This is completely worth it because the Omni is in such a great location in the French Quarter you can walk everywhere!

If you are going to stay at the Omni, go ahead and sign up for their Select Guest program. It provides you with free wireless internet, paper in the morning and free morning beverages to your room. Of course, a week after making our reservations thru Priceline, I got an email from Select Guest services for $99 / night during our travel period. Opps! So definitely sign up for it now, even if you aren't planning on staying there for a while.

Everyone that works there was really nice! We checked in late Thursday to find the hotel was having its employee Christmas party in the main ballroom, they were in quite the party mode! A lovely young woman named Val checked us in and was incredibly sweet despite the fact that she had to work while everyone else was partying! And she was back the next morning, still with a beautiful smile on her face. A young woman in the guest shop even helped me out when I remarked about needing a handkerchief. She said "just a minute" and returned with a very nice cloth napkin for me. It was really sweet of her to go out of her way for such a small request! (I *did* leave the napkin in our room when we left. ha..ha..)

The room we got was small. I mean SMALL. It is the very first hotel room I've stayed in where two people couldn't walk around the room at the same time. Despite our request for a King, we were put into a Queen on the interior of the building. I figure this was due to booking through Priceline and wasn't a big deal to us. The courtyard was lovely to view and we were away from the construction that is still going on.

The construction going on was around the front of the hotel and made access in and out somewhat congested. Plus, the construction was very, very noisy. Luckily, our room was far away and we never heard it while trying to sleep.

Did I mention the room was small? Seriously! Like, living in a matchbox, small. Honestly, we didn't mind because our intent was to stay out on the French Quarter as much as possible. The room was just there for sleeping and showering, so small wasn't a problem. But if you plan on spending more time in your room than that, do NOT get an interior room. I saw, through a few open doors, that the rooms on the outside of the building were much larger!

The hotel was done up in beautiful Christmas decorations, sumptuous rugs covered the floor. The kind you just sink into because they are so thick. The hotel is very lavish and beautiful. To be surrounded by such beauty, also made the price very acceptable to our palate.

All in all I felt very spoiled by staying at the Omni Royal and I would definitely do it again. This time, however, I would make sure and reserve straight through the hotel so that we got a bigger room and king size bed.

Oh, and the best part? We were a few blocks from Cafe du Monde! I'm sure you know what we had for breakfast each morning.

Room Tip: Try to get an exterior room, but away from construction. Interior rooms are VERY small.
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We are select guest and Emily the loyalty ambassador does a wonderful job. She called the day before we arrived to check in if we need anything upon our arrival. Joking around I said your calling to upgrade me to a suite! She laughed and said let me see what I can do. She came back with a room upgrade to a king premium that had a great view. Thank you Emilu for all you did. Hotel is in the middle of the French market and close to al the fun things if NOLA. Have stayed many times in NOLA and this was one of the best!