“Great Hotel with Excellent Location”
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans
Ranked #21 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We spent 2 nights at the Omni Royal Orleans to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. The hotel is top-notch and the service impeccable from the first time you step foot until you depart. Valet is extremely helpful, check-in was a breeze (we pre-checked in so our keys were waiting). We requested a street view on a high floor and received a beautful corner room with a view of Royal Street on the top floor (7th). Although we didn't spend time at the rooftop pool and bar, the view is incredible and would be very relaxing had we had more time. Regardless, head up there to take the view in and snap some pictures. Some prior reviews complained about the cost of parking, but we found it to be about average compared to other local hotels.

This hotel is literally steps away from all of the action in the French Quarter, but is sheltered from some of the noise and filth of Bourbon Street. I can't think of a better location to stay at in the French Quarter. We would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone interested in a nice hotel in the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Request a street view. We overlooked Royal Street on the 7th Floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kskrillz
Write a ReviewReviews (4,925)

Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans for a week from September 24 to October 1. It was our first time in New Orleans so I had done a lot of research about the best place to be in the French Quarter, finally settling on the Royal Orleans. I was exceptionally happy with my choice. While wandering around, I did check out many of the other possible hotels I could have picked, and found none that I thought might have been better.
What a great hotel the Royal Orleans is. The decor is fabulous - lots of crystal chandeliers, mirrors and marble. The room was utilitarian, although a little dark since the only sources of light were the lamps. More importantly, the bed was comfortable. Also, because the drapes were heavy, we had no trouble darkening the room in the mornings, and thus were able to get a good night's sleep every night.
The staff were generally very helpful and friendly - although the service in the front bar was very slow when we tried to have a pre-dinner drink there, even though there were only a handful of other patrons.
I used TripAdviser ratings to make my decision - thanks to the comments and ratings by previous reviewers - so thought it only fair to review the hotel too.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rzazzle
Reviewed October 2, 2011

we stayed for 6 nights in the rooms 235 and 231 which opened onto the terrace on the second floor, great hotel , in the perfect area, within easy reach of all the places to go .
staff very friendly , and most helpful
the terrace was a bonus , where you can sit and enjoy a drink or two.
the weather was very hot, and in the afternoon the roof top swimming pool and bar was very welcoming as it had a wonderful breeze. will certainly return again.

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank dolly1london
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans from Sept. 20-23. It was our first time staying in the French Quarter, and the first time at an Omni hotel. This hotel's location was perfect for everything we wanted to do and see. We got an upgrade to a corner bedroom suite, which was definitely better than we expected and with two balconies (one on each street-Royal and St. Louis), we had plenty of fun people watching. A highlight was the musicians playing on the corner every day. One night we fell asleep to someone playing a harmonica.

The bed was easily the softest, most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in. I'd go back to any Omni hotel just for the bed. The shower was awesome too. The front desk/bell staff were always extremely friendly when we had any questions. We wandered up to the rooftop just once, but it looked like a great area, and the views from the top were pretty cool.

Room Tip: Join their select club for free coffee/juice in the morning.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank whatmeow
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My partner and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Omni Royal Orleans. I was there for my national conference, and decided to stay here based largely on rate considerations and the high marks given here on tripadvisor.com (especially when compared to the Ritz Carleton). I booked the Penthouse Suite so I also could host a reception with 60-70 colleagues and clients.

The Omni Royal Orleans easily lived up to its high marks here for both service and accommodations. We have stayed at many luxury properties such as Aman, Four Seasons, Ritz Carleton, Mandarin Oriental, and Peninsula, and this Omni absolutely lived up to their levels of service. Everyone was happy to help, from the valets, front desk staff, the sales department, and in-room dining. Service was pretty much flawless, actually--something I rarely see even at the best hotels. Special kudos go out to Julie Yates in Sales/Catering, who was absolutely happy to assist me in any way possible. She even worked with her counterpart at the Omni Royal Crescent when I thought that might be my best bet, and they both agreed that the Royal Orleans would serve me best for my reception in the Penthouse Suite. The whole Omni group in New Orleans was like a family, and most everyone we met had worked at the property for 15-20+ years. And it showed gloriously.

The hotel itself definitely showcases New Orleans in its decor from the lobby and restaurant to the Penthouse Suite. It was very well located--just 2 blocks from Bourbon Street and 3 blocks from Jackson Square. It was also a reasonably short 15-20 minute cab ride for us to reach the convention center area, the Garden District to see Tulane/Loyola Universities, etc. We never noticed too much noise even from in front of the hotel, an amazing quality when you are only 2 blocks from Bourbon Street.

The Penthouse was lovely--a large living/dining room with a full length covered outdoor balcony area with a pleasant view of the city/river, plus a full bar area, and down a long corridor was a separate bath and then the master bedroom. There was the opportunity to connect up to 2 adjoining queen bedrooms, but we never needed them. The master bedroom was in and of itself a very nice spacious room, well designed with 2 walk-in closets and a roomy master bathroom with soaking tub and separate walk in shower, as well as a lovely view over the French Quarter and the city/river. Air conditioning, always a critical element for me, worked VERY well--both in the Penthouse as well as throughout the hotel as a whole. With temps running in the 80s, that was a welcome relief.

My only real criticism of the Penthouse is that it didn't feed as separate as someone else might prefer--as the walkway to reach it was necessary to reach the rooftop pool and bar deck, as well. That being said, I was never disturbed at all by passers-by. Certainly, the master bedroom was set back plenty far away from the outdoor walkway so that would never be an issue, fortunately. A minor point for anyone wanting something a little more set back/out of the way, but nothing that in any way bothered us for our purposes. I also found the shower in the master bath to be slightly annoying as the shower head was over the seat, making for a slightly awkward stretch at time. Otherwise, perfection.

My reception was easily hosted and accommodated by the hotel. Julie Yates and her team bent over backwards to make sure we were happy, and the event went off without a hitch. With the typical flow of people coming/going, the Suite easily accommodated our estimated 75+ guests (more people came than anticipated)--a big surprise for me, actually.

I did have drinks once at the Ritz Carleton, and it is a lovely property--though its combination of 3 separate hotels linked together in hopes of pretending to be a single property was seriously annoying. I preferred the Omni's location, to be sure, and the rate comparison (though closer than I had guessed) still made me feel the Penthouse at the Omni was a fantastic deal compared to a smaller suite at the Ritz Carleton. Certainly, the service at the Omni was easily comparable to that of the Ritz. If you are staying in a regular room at the Omni, it is absolutely a deal in that regard.

All in all, I must say the Omni Royal Orleans really impressed us both--and again, we travel all over the world and stay at lots of amazing properties. We will absolutely stay again at the Omni Royal Orleans whenever our travels bring us back--and with New Orleans food as good as it was on this trip, that won't be long!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Bill R
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Now this is hard for me to write, because New Orleans is my absolute favorite city in the whole world and it's hard to write anything negative about it. I stayed here in March and my first impression of the hotel was that it was in a great location (right on artsy Royal Street.) The architecture on the outside and in the inside lobby area is just stunning. BUT, the rooms themselves are just plain average and the bathroom was tiny. Also, the garage (under the hotel, where we had our car valeted) had an awful, musty stench. The smell was just dreadful. Lastly, the customer service was very average. The front desk attendant was very friendly, but everyone else just didn't seem to be very happy to be there.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a balcony! Lots of good people watching and interesting sounds throughout the day a...
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank MariaLuvsNOLA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

With it's famous Rib Room restaurant attached at the hip, the Omni Orleans offers more than just a place to stay. I'm told even locals like to stay here when it is part of a "Business Meeting Experience". I only live about 1 hour drive from NOLA but I decided to stay at the hotel rather make the drive last week.

It had been years since I last stayed at the Omni & while I have aged, the Omni has freshened up. Everything was clean & lovely & comparatively quiet - w/only a minimum of French Quarter noise. I was really tired from a rough week & the bed - Wow! I overslept & was late to my 1st meeting because I slept 10 HOURS. Wonderful bed, couldn't wait to get back in it for a 2nd night. You will love it - trust Trip Advisor on this one.

Room Tip: I asked to be away from the elevator & I was.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business