“Creole Cottage is just amazing”

Olivier House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Oliver House Hotel 4/18 to 4/23 2010. We stayed in Miss Anne's Creole Cottage. It was wonderful! Large bathroom with a tub big enough for two, additional seperate shower. It has it's own small kitchen and it's own courtyard. The courtyard was charming! The furnishings are older but all were in great shape in our room. We didn't have a car so I cannot comment on the parking situation.
The only bad thing I saw at this hotel was on our checkout we were waiting for our cab and I had to use the restroom. There is no lobby restroom so I was given a key to room 105. This room was not in very good shape it had water stains and torn wallpaper. But for our room 114 the cottage, I have no complaints every bit of our stay with the Oliver House was wonderful.
I would highly recommend the Creole cottage to anyone who wants a great room away from the rest of the hotel. It feels like your own little house.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Olivier House Hotel

Reviewed April 18, 2010

There are a lot better places to stay in the quarter. The two bedroom suite was terrible. The furniture was uncomfortable, worn and old. There was mold and an active breeze from outside throughout our stay...say no more. For the same amount of money, we moved to the W hotel and had a fine rest of the trip...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2010

This place was a nightmare. I've stayed in many guesthouses in th Quarter and understand that its not like staying at the W or something like that. The sofa had a board under the cushions and the bed that had been in it was gone. We had to go up a very small spiral staircase to th balcony for our bedroom. The mattress was very old and dirty, plus, no mattress pad and torn bedding, The rooms around us weren't locked, in fact slightly open, so anyone could go and stay in there. The pool was more like a cesspool, wouldn't even want to put your feet in it. There were electrical wires etc sitting in pools of water and the bathroom floor, which was carpeted was soaking wet, also the toilet area too. Wasn't sure if it was raw sewage or what. So, the maid bunched up a towel and put it by the toilet. This place would never ever pass a fire inspection, ever. These places are dangerous and one could easily be trapped in there with no way out.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank blondieMinnesota
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Very casual and friendly.

Reservations were a bit iffy. We paid, in advance, by check, and the check was evidently misplaced for a while. But everything was fine by the time we left for NOLA.

Michelle showed us to our room -- I think she's the head housekeeper, but she's really in charge of guest relations. Lovely woman who gave us our choice of rooms and checked in with us throughout our stay. She's a gem and whatever she's being paid, she deserves more.

The housekeeping itself was a bit iffy -- one day, no towels. They took the soiled ones and left nothing. Not a bit deal to us.

The front-desk staff are friendly, and Bobby, in particular, was very patient when my husband almost lost it over the car situation.

Ah. The car. Free parking has its price. It's the one thing the naysayers posting reviews are right about. We didn't mind handing over the car -- who's going to drive in the French Quarter? But the person who parked - -or moved -- our car left the lights on. Dead battery. We discovered it the night before departure and my husband was livid. But Bobby handled him -- and the car -- beautifully.

And another shout-out to Michelle: When she came by to say "good bye" and hugged my husband, I think a lot of the ill-will drained away from him.

I'm docking a star for the car situation -and for the fact that the elevator is perpetually broken. But we'll be back. And we'll even use the free parking.

If you are a neat freak who needs the sterile environment of a chain or the luxury of fancy hotel, don't stay here. But if you like charming and quaint -- and can put up with a little dinginess, this is it. The location is perfect, the people are lovely and atmosphere is cozy.

Just be sure to check on your car.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2010

For our first trip to NOLA, I'd say our overall experience at the Olivier Hotel was a positive one. The staff were friendly, helpful, and a good resource for suggestions on things to do around New Orleans. Our room was gorgeous, with a great classic feel for being in the French Quarter. We had a balcony that was great for getting a cool breeze, and sitting with coffee in the morning. The hotel has Free Parking, which is great for us since we drove in; this was also a perk, since the location was awesome, bc we didn't need to move the car our entire stay. Its half a block off Bourbon street which is convenient for the nightlife. Its location is somewhat centered in French Quarter, so it was an easy walk to everything during the day. Felt perfectly safe walking around at night

Unfortunately, all these pros came with some kind of concession. Although the room was wonderfully decorated and seemingly clean, we did find a couple roaches/roach traps right underneath our head board. The walls were so thin, we could hear our neighbors coming in and basically their whole conversation word for word. Although off Bourbon street, you could definitely still hear the street noise. Parking was free, but you have to leave your keys at the front desk and they move the car at their discretion. Although we did not have a problem, I can see others not being comfortable with that. Internet is spotty. Our room was never cleaned our entire stay.

Overall, we enjoyed the hotel, for the location the price was just right, but considering everything else.. i think we could have found another moderately priced hotel with better amenities.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank light_my_fire5
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This trip was my first to New Orleans, so I didn't have much to work with, information wise. I am from TN and have a 6 year old son, and my cousin met me from Houston with her 10 year old daughter. We found the hotel location was absolutely amazing, its best feature!! I had high hopes after reading prior reviews, and the hotel fell a bit short of them. all in all, I just got an unclean feelin from the hotel. Now, I am by no means a neat freak, but it just felt dirty.
We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, right off the courtyard which was nice. The pool, unfortunately was broken when we got there, which wasn't their fault, so that was a bummer for the kids. But I loved the fact that the hotel was so old, and seemed antique like, I just feel like it can be taken care of a bit better, cleanly wise. The staff was friendly enough as well. I would consider staying there again, and did not let this ruin my first trip to NOLA. All in all we and the kids had an absolute blast and think that everyone should come to enjoy this city at least once in their lives!! It was definitely worth it!!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2010

if you've ever seen the British tv show 'Fawlty Towers' it was based on this hotel..we stayed as part of a wedding party, the ceremony was held in the hotel, the staff were really helpful, the housekeeper is an absolute doll, the hotel overall is a little faded and a little worn but then so is the rest of the French Quarter, our room had a lovely balcony on toulouse next to Bourbon, which was fabulous for people watching although could be noisy, it seems to me that the hotel is just like a large b & b, family run as opposed to corporate, and really not all that different from family run hotels in France, you need a sense of adventure to stay here..much more fun than the extended stay..however, it is not suitable for those with disabilites, there are a lot of nooks and crannies and stairs to navigate..we didn't see the elevator. and there is no restaurant or bar although we had a great party both nights and brought drink into the hotel, I'd stay there again

• Stayed: December 2009