“Faded grandeur adds up to quirky lodgings”

Olivier House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We booked this hotel on-line as much for the location and price as for the promised historical atmosphere. We were not disappointed in any of these. When we arrived a bar down the street was extremely noisy and we commented while checking in that we hoped our room would be in the back.
It was not, but that was quickly changed (we arrived in on a Thursday just before the weekend). We stayed in room 203, a "suite" with the bedroom up in a loft created by cutting the high-ceilinged room horizontally in half.
The bathroom was downstairs, not convenient but okay with us. What resulted was a cosy living area downstairs with floor-to-ceiling doors that opened over the patio with the pool. It was lovely to open the doors and let the balmy spring air come in after a day of sightseeing - a true home away from home. The place appeared to be very clean, but the curtains looked very tired as did the sagging love seat and one never know how long the carpeting has been there. More disconcerting was the absence of a mattress cover on the aging bed. That was corrected immediately the following day when I complained about it. We found the staff at all times helpful and informative. The kitchen area in the room was convenient, the presence of dishwashing soap and a clean sponge thoughtful. The coffee maker came in handy and we were furnished with new coffee whenever we wanted it. The free internet worked at all times and the small desk was handy. The small fridge seemed kind of stuck under the counter (recent change in carpeting?) and was hard to open, but we managed. Some people have commented on the locks and perceived lack of security. Our door did lock, but some chain or other security feature on the inside might be reassuring. We found the FREE parking very convenient. The staff was very cooperative to have us take the car out for a daytrip out of town.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Olivier House Hotel

Reviewed March 17, 2009

I have stayed here at least a dozen times over the past 6 years and have seen or stayed in many rooms of the Olivier House. Each one is uniquely decorated, situated, and charming, and nothing like anything I've seen traveling anywhere else. It's like you're authentically transported in time to old New Orleans.. Accordingly, not absolutely everything about the room may be perfect, but whenever there has been a problem I have been offered a discount or another room; although to be honest, I have never found anything to be complaint-worthy and consider such quirks part of the appeal. For the record, there are no health hazards to the ordinary human here, unless you are OCD and have other personality disorders. The staff has always been extremely gracious to me and my friends and have remembered me each time I visit. But if you prefer sterile, bland, expensive personality-less rooms, and all you want to do is get drunk, watch TV and play video games, please, by all means, stay at your favorite chain hotel. You will not appreciate the charms of the Olivier House. But for those who are intrigued by visiting another world, this spot is a treasure and I hope it never changes.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2009

No coffee available or drinks as described. The room was musty, broken toilet seat , broken shower curtain, dripping taps, broken bed, loose skirting boards and an 8 inch hole below air-conditioning unit. Furniture and fittings a disgrace. Cost a fortune , GUTTED .

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank apple043
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Olivier House staff were awesome, extremely responsive, and very personable. If you're looking to party, it's in a great location - right off Bourbon. The hotel is historic...it's old. Consequently, it needs a great deal of attention and upkeep ,and that was a little lacking. The rooms are very spacious. Overall, it's a good place to stay for what you pay. Just remember...you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank vfromatod
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I have really mixed emotions about our stay. We LOVE independent establishments, but I'm not sure that I would stay at the Olivier House again. We rented the garden suite - a two story room with courtyard, fountain, trees, sitting room, full bath w/tub and kitchenette on the first floor and spiral staircase leading to a loft bedroom and full bath w/shower on the second floor. It sounded so funky and fun...but fell a little short. Some cons...the trees were over-grown (making it hard to enter the room), the fountain didn't work, the bath tub drain didn't close and the coffee maker was missing. Minor things. Some major things though...the lock was so flimsy (you could literally push the door open when locked) and the second story floor (especially around the vanity and shower) felt like it was going to cave in. BUT some pros...the location was great (so close to Bourbon, but you couldn't hear a thing!!), the courtyard was nice, the staff was helpful, and the parking was free (though there aren't in/out privileges). With a little TLC and a good cleaning - the room would have been awesome. But all in all - though I wanted to, I didn't love it. One great recommendation though...eat at Elizabeth's in the Bywater area. A FANTASTIC breakfast...our best meal of the weekend!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Suz-Q73
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I booked this hotel over the phone as New Orleans was experiencing high demand due to a medical conference. I believe the room allocated was a one bedroom suite. Upon entering the room there was a strong musty smell, I received an electric shock turning down the air conditioning and turning off a lamp in the bedroom, there was only 1 glass in the wet bar which was a dirty champagne glass, there were no clean glasses, coffee cups or coffee although the wet bar was equipped with a coffee maker. After requesting these basic articles be sent to my room, housekeeping arrived to inform me, I was to clean the dishes myself, even though there was no dishwashing liquid, plug or sponge either!

The toilet ran constantly, I stood in 3 inches of brown water in the shower, which the tiles were cracked and mouldy and when I sat down to watch the television in the lounge area a mouse ran across the room!!!

I went downstairs and voiced my issues to the manager, who immediately became defensive and chose to take my grievances as a personal attack rather than addressing the serious health and safety issues and then proceeded to tell me it would be preferrable that I check out the next day.

I have worked as a Director of Sales in the hospitality industry for 5 years and the travel industry for 20 years and would have been sacked on the spot if I spoke to my guests or clients in that manner. I was shown two other rooms to chose from after the rodent issue and neither of these rooms were any better. The door locks are extremely flimsy and most do not even offer a chain lock as added security once you are inside the room. I would strongly disuade people from staying at this hotel until these issues are addressed and basic safety measures are implemented, however based on the managers attitude, I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank Futuretravels
Reviewed November 7, 2008

We have been staying at this hotel for 17 years and will never stay anywhere else. If you are looking for a swanky, expensive and brand new place to stay then this is not for you. But If you are looking for the old school charm of the city this is the hotel for you. Friendly staff, great ambiance and right in the middle of the Quarter.

• Stayed: October 2008