“Cool funky ”

Ranked #15 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton rouge
“Cool funky ”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in bridal suite. Was kinda strange and funky. The balcony was gorgeous. We love the small, not perfect vibe. If I wanted cookie cutter, i would travel to middle Kansas. We are in Nola, people! Be weird. Staff couldn't have been nicer. The lounge?common room had a small tour come in .. But we ended up getting history and enjoyed her tour. Price was great. Yeah... It is a bit like a prom dress at 3am... A little worn out but beautiful and makes you smile when you think on it after. Big love

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Travelustyla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Olivier House a number of times over the past couple of years, most recently in August of 2013. The staff is always helpful and friendly and we like the character of the old place. You cannot beat the location within the French Quarter, just one block north of Bourbon Street.

As stated, the hotel is quite old, and the rooms may not have the most state-of-the-art hotel amenities that you might find at the national hotels downtown. If you want a reasonably priced room in a quirky historic building, this is the place!

Room Tip: Interior rooms and those with balconies overlooking the pool/courtyard area are much quieter. Aside...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel because it is quaint and has the french quarter charm that I was looking for. I will never stay at another place in New Orleans. The location is half a block from Bourbon Street but far enough away that you're not bothered by the hustle and bustle. Dustin and Bobby were really nice and accomodating

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Suzanne0226
Pensacola Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We highly recommend Olivier House for staying in the French Quarter. It is so close and convenient to everything but being one block from Bourbon Street gives you some peace and quiet when needed. The staff is so gracious and helpful. We stayed mid week so we were given a tour upon our arrival and allowed to pick the room that best suited us. The rooms are very large with unique decor. Overall feel is an eclectic decor with Old Orleans flare. Very economical too.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 214 with a shared balcony but had no other visitors on this side of the building so w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tisha C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

A quirky little place, recommended to us by friends who used to live in New Orleans and which we will now recommend to all our friends. Close enough to walk to almost everything but quiet enough that we coukd enjoy the balcony overlooking the courtyard. We stayed in two rooms, each charmingly decorated. Morning coffee in the ground floor courtyard was peaceful, the coffee was good, and the selection of teas was admirable. The staff was incredibly helpful in identifying places to eat and things to do. Their love of their city and its wide-ranging charms was evident. We'll be back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbara O
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This has become the only place I stay when I visit NOLA. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. It's in a quiet area of the French Quarter and is only a couple of blocks from Bourbon St. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a place to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lolly58
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I hesitate to write a review....as I don't want this place overrun :)

I go to New Orleans 2 to 5 times a year and have for many years. I've literally stayed at most every hotel in the Quarter. Those days are over as I will never stay anywhere else but the Olivier House now.

The location is perfect. I prefer to stay "above" Bourbon Street rather than on Bourbon or "below" on Royal, Chartres or Decatur. It's quieter and more quaint. It's also close to several of my favorite watering holes.

The Olivier is more of a large Bed & Breakfast than a hotel. It's a beautiful old mansion full of maze-like hallways and stairways. There's a lovely sitting room with a fireplace. Full of antiques and charm. A beautiful courtyard.

The rooms are all different. I was in a two floor room with the bedroom in a loft the first time I stayed. It had a great balcony overlooking the courtyard. The second stay I was in a standard room on the fourth floor that was just as lovely.

The staff are absolutely the best. I mean the best. Even arriving home well after 5 AM, after some heavy partying, I was greeted cheerfully and with a sly grin by the gentleman keeping the overnight vigil. No judgement, no raised eyebrows. I really can't say enough about everyone there I encountered. Just tops, really.

It's not hyperbole to say this is the best place I've ever had the pleasure to stay in while in New Orleans.

And to add even more praise. The rates are quite fair.

Room Tip: Not a bad room to be had.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo