“The Best Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Olivier House Hotel

You added Olivier House Hotel to your Saves list
Olivier House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   828 Toulouse St., New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #5 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“The Best Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Olivier House many times over the years but most recently was for 8 days over Halloween in October (a late review I know but...better late...). I have always had the greatest experiences while staying here, especially this last trip. All of my friends backed out for one reason or another; some had reasons out of their control, others, let's say are no longer friends. So, I am never one to miss returning to NOLA so I went solo. When I arrived Bobby was incredibly accommodating to my situation and helped me in every way possible. They always checked in with me on how I was doing. Bobby and Deborah and the entire staff have always went above and beyond to make me feel like I am a valued returning friend. I have stayed in most places in the quarter and this is the only one that I am committed to and refer all my friends to. That being said, my friends and I have personalities that match the style and funkiness of the Olivier House and it suits us perfectly. The rooms are large and are all different, the hotel itself is gorgeous and old New Orleans from and old world perspective. The location cannot be beat, center of the quarter, half-block off Bourbon St. and you can always walk Dauphine if you've had enough of Bourbon. There's a little market across the street so you can grab a cold one and hit the streets. It's close to everything including Deja Vu when you stumble back and need a late night snack! The pool and courtyards are beautiful and balcony rooms are wonderful to sit out on in the mornings and evenings. It has personality and character that sets it apart from most of the other places I've stayed.
If you require a brand new, ultra clean & shiny, cookie cutter hotel with a starbucks in it then I recommend you stay at one of the big hotel chains on Canal St.

To me, this is part of loving NOLA, a little run down but with true character including ghosts and music on every corner. I have stayed here during Halloweens, Mardi Gras' and various other times throughout the year and I will continue to do so. In fact, I'll be returning next month and I cannot wait.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank piratetrucker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Not unlike many places in the French Quarter you could walk right by Olivier House and not event know it was there let alone know what lies behind the non-descript front door. Olivier House contains a number of rooms types each with its own unique identity. Our group stayed in a loft room with a small kitchenette, bathroom and sleeper sofa on the lower floor along with a queen size bed in the loft. The room had a nice balcony overlooking the courtyard pool. Nothing fancy in terms of amenities but we hardly noticed.

Olivier House is less than a block to Bourbon Street and centrally located to all the French Quarter has to offer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
tulsa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My family and I stayed at Olivier house this past week. It was the best experience! We stayed in room 406. Our room faced the court yard and was very peaceful and quiet at night. The room was spotless and the staff was very accomodating. I have tons of pics to post but haven't downloaded them to my computer yet. This is an old hotel so don't expect Holiday Inn. It's not a plastic generic hotel. It's charming and quaint with an edge of eeriness. From our room you could see all of downtown and the French Quarter. What a visual delight. You look straight ahead and you see skyscrapers. You look down and you are suddenly in the 1800's in the French Quarter. I didn't use my car the entire time we stayed there and it was parked in their garage which costs only $10 per night. Other places charge $50. My car came back in the condition I left it in. I would stay there again and again.

Room Tip: Room 406 has two queen beds and a sitting area with flat screen tv and balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed three nights in room 207, just at the top of the main stair. Can't understand the advice from HumbleHomo: 'stay away from 207'. It was a very pleasant experience for us, with no problems of noise, etc. Maybe it had been recently renovated - other rooms on that level were undergoing renovation. 207 perhaps is included in the 'one-bedroom suites' category, at lower price level - the bedroom is on a mezzanine level, over a comfortable sitting area with microwave and coffeemaker. The bedroom is dark, but has a good king-size bed. Bedroom ceiling height is restricted - could be a problem if you are 6'6"+. (See photo.) The bathroom is small but adequate and clean. The little balcony overlooking the courtyard is very nice, even if cluttered with a pile of bricks! There was no phone - 'oh yeh, the cord was cut during renovations and hasn't been replaced yet.'
Friendly, helpful staff. The place is a little quircky, but we really enjoyed our stay and have no complaints. Nice quiet cafe and bar just across the street, a couple of small delis nearby. Bourbon street also nearby but not intrusive. (But it is an awful place from early evening on - worth walking a bit further afield for nicer bars and restaurants.)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Sp[rings, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Olivier House was built in 1838, if you want brand new this is not for you. This hotel is well maintainted and is the quintessential French Quarter hotel. It has 42 unquie rooms each one has it's own amenities and charm. We have stayed here three times and each time has been perfect! Our last trip was for our 15th anniversary. When I called to make the reservation I mentioned to them we would be celebrating our anniversary. We requested room 112, the same room we honeymooned in. After Mardi Gras the hotel began a extensive remodel of the room. When it become apparent to the staff the room would not be completed in time for our check in they had the contractors "pull" the room together for us. They worked on the room right up to when we checked in.I really appriecate that! They went to alot of trouble to honor my request. Their attention to custmer service sets them apart. We even had dive gear shipped to the hotel and picked it up when we arrived later. Now to address some of the other reviews: this hotel is located 1/2 block from Bourbon(need I say more?) I can imagane the street rooms can be noisey. Room 112 is located at the back of the courtyard so we have never had a problem with noise. Like I said each room is different and offers a different experience. As to ones safety as mentioned by Louise64London, I have never felt unsafe when walking (even by myself) in the blocks surrounding the hotel. When we where there last the mounted police used Toulouse as the resting place for their horses. We have stayed at other hotels in the French Quarter but this is our favorite. I have posted 10 pictures of room 112 I would have done more but thats the max.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gortz1
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had a very mixed experience staying here. On the positive side, I had a number of problems to do with my personal safety on the first night. The staff the next day were responsive and dealt with things without a fuss. They dealt with me very fairly. All credit. The staff generally were friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is delightful here. The rooms are very very mixed. Do not get the lobby room - it is not safe and noisy, and dark like a crypt. Other rooms are light and airy, however, things like an air conditioner for a different floor placed immediately outside my window made my room shudder from 7 am. This is just off Bourbon St which is either a great positive or a big down side - depending on your situation. Think carefully before staying in this area which is noisy with lots of gangs of young guys on frat / bachelor parties. The noise from nearby clubs goes for much of the night - great if you're in the club or want an easy stumble home! Great if you're with a gang who are here to party! Not so great if you're looking for something else. It's accessibility to the French Quarter is unbeatable, but there is much more to NO than the French Quarter. This place does attract the gangs of frat parties, and so think about whether you want that. The night staff did not manage security well. If you are a woman traveling alone, I would caution staying here (or anywhere in this neighborhood actually). I have really tried to be fair in this review. I think your experience here would depend very much on why you are visiting NO. I moved from this area to another district altogether and it suited me better. Would I stay here again? Jury is out. Not on my own.

Room Tip: DO NOT sleep in the room off the lobby. You will get no sleep. Furthermore, if you are a woman trave...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Louise64London
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Great, charming hotel in the heart of the action right off Bourbon Street.
Very friendly and helpful staff.
Unique rooms.
I would recommend this hotel again, and it would be at the top of the list for my next visit to New Orleans.

Room Tip: Balcony or terrace rooms are great.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends