“This hotel is one of my favorite haunts.”

Olivier House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Windsor, Canada
“This hotel is one of my favorite haunts.”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This delightful hotel is situated right off the corner of Bourbon Street on Toulouse in the French Quarter. If you enjoy historic charm, then look no further then the Olivier House. The Olivier House Hotel is one of a number of hotels that are named on the French Quarter Haunted List; apparently it is haunted by a spirit named Elizabeth but I have never seen any evidence of that. My son and I stayed here when we were building homes for Habitat during the Katrina Relief Effort and it continues to be one of my favorite stopovers.
The original section of this mid eighteenth century Creole home is still intact; from the beautiful wool carpets that grace the huge hallway entrance and the adjoining parlor, to the ornate wall hangings and original light fixtures; it is no surprise that the Oliver House is most preferred among theater people. If you choose to bypass the eye catching wooden stairwell to take the elevator to get to your room, there is a hidden door under the arched staircase; you’ll have to duck to open it but it’s worth the short jaunt. The door will open onto to a beautiful court yard containing a miniature swimming pool that is surrounded by lush plants and trees. Take a short walk on the patio cobble stones in the opposite direction, turn left and ten feet away you’ll discover a minuscule elevator. If you suffer from claustrophobia I suggest you take the stairwell to your room; the elevator is approximately 4’ x 2’ and if you’re toting luggage it can be a real feat getting in and closing the door. The creaks and groans of the antique machinery may make one squeamish but I think it adds the ambiance of this popular hotel. The staff is very friendly and polite. I highly recommend that you reserve your room well in advance and specifically request a room that has a balcony facing Toulouse Street.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies facing Toulouse Street allow you to sit outside and enjoy the music and sounds...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joanne B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
Mountains, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed in room 303 for four nights recently and were very happy. The room had a balcony overlooking the courtyard pool area, a nicely renovated bathroom and an ornate iron bed against the backdrop of an ancient looking brick wall. It was well furnished, clean, roomy and comfortable - and surprisingly very quiet for it's close to Bourbon Street location.
This is an older property that has it's quirks (a very small elevator that my husband got stuck in for a short time and spotty maid service) but the people that work there could not be nicer or more helpful and the whole place reeks of old-style French Quarter charm. The decor is beautiful in a shabby chic sort of way and I loved that all of the rooms are uniquely furnished and configured.
We also loved the convenience of being so close to everything the quarter has to offer - we didn't bring a car and were able to easily walk to every restaurant and sight we wanted to see.

Thank you Olivier House for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingfun1963
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Wonderful place, enjoyed our stay. Remembered the place fondly from 1984, now have two great memories.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank davidhill1965
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Overall my experience at the Olivier House was pleasant. But, wow was my room tacky, unmaintained, musty smelling(even the pillows) and dirty linens left in the bathroom by housekeeping. All of the wallpaper was literally hanging off the wall and the carpets were filthy. The room I was in was a suite. Basically Bed upstairs and everything else downstairs. Sounds cool but a day into my stay I found it inconvenient running up and down the stairs, mainly to the bathroom.

I want to make sure you all understand that the staff was amazing and very helpful! Any issue I had they did their best to resolve as quickly as possible!
The location was perfect. Half a block off Bourbon St. so, just far enough off to be quiet and just a one minute walk to the center of all the action.

I would consider staying here again as long as I was guaranteed that I would not be put back in room 207!

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are not that quiet. Stay away from room 207
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HumbleHomo
Glenwood Springs
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Stayed here two nights, on both ends of our trip to LA, two different rooms. The wallpaper was peeling but hey, they stapled it back on, cool! Very few lights in the rooms, tough to see at certain times of day. Tons of pillows on bed but would rather have some lights. The room at top of first flight of stairs was the more dissapointing of the two. The lobby was charming and whole building interestingly as most are in New Orleans but after getting home and checking prices again, we could have done better in equally interesting places. No, it's not four star as one supportive reviewer said but what's the excuse to not pull down the peeling wallpaper or have more than one lamp in a room? Our fourth trip to New Orleans and we thought we'd stay a new place but we won't stay there again. The staff was inconsistent, male staff was more helpful than the female staff, need to try a little harder. On the plus side, it was quiet enough and well located.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Alabama
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is not a four star hotel. This is authentic French Quarter. You can feel the history and almost see the ghosts. We will, without any doubt, be back. We had friends traveling with us who stayed across the street at a much more expensive hotel. They were very disappointed and spent most of their time in our awesome third floor room with a balcony. I loved the Olivier House!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Willa_the_Wanderer
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Woof! My name is Montana and I travel to all the best hotels with my mother. The Olivier House made my stay a 5 Paw experience they treated me like a princess which I am! Bobbie one of the owners made my first trip to Nawlins the best experience ever I'm a senior puppy and will never forget the great staff and how they fussed over me. All u pups out there bring ur owners to the Olivier house it's one of nawlins finest. See u guys next year

• Stayed December 2011