“What a beautiful gem of tranquility”
Review of Melrose Mansion

Melrose Mansion
Ranked #15 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent a long weekend in New Orleans and while I wanted to be close to Bourbon Street and the night scene, I didn't want to sleep right in the noise and mayhem. Melrose Mansion was the perfect place. It is just at the top end of bourbon street, within a tree lined street and a beautiful piece of serenity. The rooms are beautifully appointed and luxurious while not being over done. Comfortable beds and the stark white walls with the black wood flooring made it feel like a step back into the colonial past. The brunch is very much a continental style with cereal, yoghurt, fruit and pastries. The pool was lovely and the sound of running water was very peaceful before heading out into the mayhem of the french quarter. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and all in all, it was the perfect choice for a quiet night after the busy days of sightseeing, drinking and eating

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just returned from my very first weekend in NOLA. After doing some exploring around the town I can say this probably wasn't the best part of town in terms of action. Not a big deal though as Frenchmen street was just a couple blocks down the way and the action of Bourbon street was just a tad farther. Both 10 min walk max I would say....

We stayed in the lovely 1300 sq ft Executive Suite. It was not in the main house but in the building two doors down. I read that not all rooms were in the main house, but didn't realize you had to actually walk down the sidewalk and pass a private residence to get to the building. It was just as pictured online so I didn't really care that it wasn't in the main house. Great private balcony overlooking Esplanade St. from the living room and another separate balcony off the bedroom. I'm not sure if we were the only ones in our building but I never heard a soul all weekend. So either good soundproofing, or it was empty, not sure. The suite had everything you would need if staying long term Washer dryer as well as full kitchen! Beautiful plantation shutters, high ceilings, white walls with beautiful trim/woodwork and crown molding, ceiling fan in bedroom, 2 fireplaces, original hardwood floors (or at least it looked really old). The bathrooms are pretty spectacular with marble everywhere and a huge jacuzzi tub. I would like to note that if you have any knee issues or problems lifting your legs this bathtub will be an issue for you. I am 5'1 and it was pretty tricky to lift my leg up and over the strangely tall bathtub. Others mentioned the lack of hot water. I can see why they thought this. Turns out there is plenty of hot water, only thing is, you have to wait for an abnormal amount of time for the hot water to start dripping out. Literally somewhere along the lines of 5 minutes. So just be patient and you will get a steaming hot bath. Not a bad trade off to get to enjoy such a unique space.

We didn't get to enjoy the breakfast or evening wine receptions because we were too lazy to wake up and we were out and about in the evenings. We did take advantage of Buffas Bar and restaurant just next door for Sunday brunch and jazz. Highly recommend this! Great food and great music steps from your room!

My only negative was the lack of safety. None of the windows had locks. If anyone decided to get on our balcony they could simply lift the windows and hop right in to the room. I was pretty freaked out at night, but nothing I could do. I know some of these old historic buildings have rules about altering windows, but surely that doesn't mean you can't fix the locks.

All in all I suppose I would stay here again but I would inquire about the locks on the windows.

Room Tip: splurge and upgrade to the executive suite! You won't want to leave
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here before and came back to this off-the-beaten-path location because of the great service and friendly staff. About a 10 minute walk from the heart of Bourbon, Frenchmen and the French Market, and 15 minutes from Du Monde, the location is good if you don't mind walking a little.

If you're not a walker, cabs are easy to come by through the hotel or RTA is just a couple of blocks away on Rampart and a day pass is only $3.

This year, though, while the staff was always professional, only a few were friendly and acted as if they were happy to see you- specifically Jordan, Joanne and Mindy. We understand management has changed since our last visit and that change is reflecting poorly through the rest of the staff.

Other than the staff, we love the character of this boutique hotel; especially sitting poolside in the evening while enjoying a nice cigar.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I had originally booked this hotel to stay at on our return from a cruise. We checked in the hotel a little late but we were accomaded to the Newley open luxury suites and OMG!! This place was beyond amazing and it had your personal washer and dryer loved it!! I wanna return to stay again!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The initial thought was that the room we reserved wasn't in the main mansion but in a building two down. The room was huge, clean and comfortable. It was a little to far away from the heart of the French quarter for us and didn't have a court yard or a clean pool to relax by. All in all the room was a nice get away once we got back from a day of walking. In the future we would stay closer to the heart of the French Quarter.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeBgrafton
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This hotel was perfectly situated for our stay during Jazzfest. We could travel easily to the fairgrounds, the quarter, frenchmans, downtown, whereever. Staff was excellent, especially Devon. He was helpful,cheery,and quick to offer assistance. 10/10 would stay again

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This Victorian mansion will blow your mind, simply beautiful. The rooms are clean and spacious and the entire staff is friendly. This was my first visit to New Orleans and the location is ideal, just a 10 minute walk to the famous Bourbon Street. My stay here was fantastic and I plan to stay here again when I return to New Orleans. I highly recommend Melrose Mansion for those who are looking for a hotel that is extra special.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo