“Great way to do Mardi Gras!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Orleans Marriott

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington, DC
“Great way to do Mardi Gras!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed here for Mardi Gras {Friday through Fat Tuesday}. Almost every parade passed in front of the hotel so no hassle getting a good view of floats and no problem catching beads. We requested a room on a high floor away from elevator and got a room on the 32nd floor way away from the elevator. The room was a comfortable size with two Queen beds. Bathroom was relatively small but posed no issue for us. Mardi Gras has to be busiest time but we had great service from valet parking to front desk to security to cleaning staff. Evryone was always helpful. Hotel location was sweet. The front is on Canal and the parking area entrance takes you to the French Quarter. Across the street from hotel is a really god restaurant/bar called Daisy Dukes. It's the kind of place they call you 'hun. We had to prepay upfront but I think all downtown hotels had that policy in effect during Carnival. We were pleased with service, location and value. Bummed that you had to pay for internet but we had iPad and iPhones so no issue.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank IntrepidTraveller99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

The service here is EXCELLENT! - valets, front desk, housekeeping, room service, security, bar - you name it...GREAT! I also love the lobby and bar of this hotel- kind of like Vegas meets NOLA. The flavored water in the lobby is also YUMMY! We had watermelon one day and orange basil another. We didn't swim, but the pools looked nice and it was neat to watch them change colors from our room. Rooms are also super quiet since you're so high up. There was a lot of security in the hotel- which made me feel better as there were a lot of extra scammers and pan handlers in town for the start of Mardi Gras. The elevator system takes some getting used to, but it's pretty neat how it pre-assigns your elevator based on your destination floor. The fitness facilities were also very impressive and had a nice view. My only real complaint was the humidity level in our room. It was so humid we had to keep temps low. It was so humid that my clothes were damp when I opened my suitcase after checking out. The rooms are also configured a bit awkwardly- I think they are just trying to fit too much in there. Either way- I'd return!

1 Thank HouCuseChickie
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. The meeting rooms were good and comfortable. The hotel bar was a great place to watch people, and had reasonably priced food. Service was very good. My room was pretty standard for a Marriott-- meaning it was comfortable and well appointed, but nothing spectacular. The hotel is a bit old, and while the room had been updated, it was easy to see it was not new. But, that said I had a nice stay, in a nice local, with helpful service and no problems.

1 Thank travelingmom35805
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

The service at this hotel was GREAT! The room wasn't really big but was very cozy. The bed is fantastic. It sleeps very well. There is always someone there to assist with whatever you need. This will be the hotel of choice when we visit again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MzPretti
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

I book a room on-line for a last minute seminar. I pay full rate and ask for a High Floor room. I arrive and am on the 7th floor and RIGHT NEXT TO THE ELEVATOR BANK. I take a nap -- can't sleep and go down to the front desk and ask if they are fully booked (thinking I got the best available -- albeit a crappy room). The clerk says "well, you must have asked for a King Bed room and this was the only one we had." No, I booked a twin queen bed room. Frustrated. she then gets the manager and while he was outwardly polite, he had a screw you attitude. To his credit, he did ask to move me. I said no.. too much hassle. I then told him (what an innkeeper should already know ) "put your "guests" in the BEST AVAILABLE (within same price range) ROOM in the first place." I said that is like a restaraunt serving a patron spoiled food, and when patron complains, saying "well, we would happy to bring you another plate food, but this time it won't be spoiled." After refusing the move, it did get worse, the bathroom intermittantly smelled of sewer gas, and the food in the restaraunt during lunch the next day was cold. Never again at the Marriot Canal St. (although I stay at other fine Marriotts elsewhere).

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Non-NativeHoustonian
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

We stayed in the New Orleans Marriott this past week for our our anniversary. We requested a room on a high floor to get away from the street noise. They put us on the 40th floor and we were very pleased with the room overall. Our room was around the corner and three doors down from the elevators, which seemed like a good distance. However, at night, when trying to sleep, it sounded similar to cars driving over a bridge all night long. Sort of a ka-thunk-hiss sporadically all night long. I'm no typically a light sleeper, but that noise at three or five on theosophy did wake menup more than a few times. I'm glad to be back home so I can catch up on my sleep.

If you stay at the New Orleans Marriott, stay as far as you can from the elevators or buy some ear plugs.

• Stayed February 2011
Greenwood, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

We checked in last thursday and were given a double room-although I had asked for a king. The view was of French Quarter rooftops, and the ceiling was so low. Really low in the tiny, tiny bathroom. Both of us couldn't stand in front of the sink at the same time. I guess the reason I was so disappointed was it was so ordinary. After staying in other more "New Orleans" type rooms, it was just boring.

They had these mattress toppers on the beds, and they would slide off the bed during the night. Next morning when I took a shower-it was barely a trickle. I have long hair, and to get the soap out, I had to get down on my hands & knees to use the bathtub faucet just to rinse my hair.

Nest morning I went down to request a different room and Matthew was very nice about it. He gave me 2 keys in the other tower to check out 2 other rooms. The first one was a huge suite with a king sized Murphy bed that pulled down out of the wall. It was a corner room and it had 2 walls of floor to ceiling windows that looked out over the Mississippe River. It also had a dining table that seated 12, and since I wasn't hosting a dinner party, I passed on this one. It was a $100 upgrade.

The other one was a king room about twice the size of the one we had. The tub & potty had a separate room, and there were 2 closets, a couch, 2 chairs, and the mattress looked new. This one was a $50 upgrade.

I took the keys back and headed up to talk S into it. He said I was crazy to pay more when we had a free room courtesy of Harrah's. We had been debating over where we would watch the super bowl-he wanted to watch it in our room, and I wanted to find a fun bar. So I told him I would watch it in the better room. I won-we got it for our last night-Super Sunday. All of the rooms had nice 42" flat screens.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple