“Outgoing, comfortable hotel!!”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #73 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I was here in June for 3 days for a conference. This hotel was very comfortable. As other reviews said, the beds here are extremely comfortable and plush. The rooms are a little bit old and could use more modern furniture and LCD TVs. But everything is very well kept and very clean -- not run down at all!

The hotel has two outdoor pools -- one is deeper and goes up to 8 ft. The fitness center is huge and well equipped with plenty of machines and LCD TVs. The location is decent -- I'm not a party person so I appreciated not being on Bourbon street. It's about 6 blocks from the Mississipi or about a 5-10 minute walk. I highly recommend requesting a river view on a high floor in the River Tower. We stayed on the 36th floor and had a super view of the river -- got to see barges and a cruise ship.

As for the conference, I can't say enough about the conference staff. I was very impressed at how they kept the refreshments area stocked and very clean for our breaks and for our lunch. Also, there is a FedEx-Kinko's in the hotel lobby in case you need any last minute printing.

I highly recommend this hotel if you're coming to New Orleans!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,610)

Reviewed June 16, 2010

I liked the Marriott. I was there for a conference and stayed on the 27th floor. I had a great view of the French Quarter. My bed was SO COMFORTABLE! I loved the down comforter and all of the pillows. The bathroom was great too.

Although you have to pay for WiFi in your room, it's FREE in the main lounge, so I usually brought my laptop there to check emails, etc. The terrace and roofttop pool on Floor 5 are huge and beautiful with plenty of elegant lawn chairs, a fire pit, and lots of other outdoor seating.

Location is great. Canal Street feels very safe because it's always bustling. The French Quarter is right next door, but so is the business district and waterfront. Overall, I highly recommend it.

One more thing--the Starbucks in the lobby closes at 6 p.m., so don't look there if you want a fairly cheap snack in the evenings!

Reviewed June 11, 2010

I read the reviews before staying here for a conference. They checked with me by email before I got there to see if I needed anything. Our room had a nice view of the river and was halfway up the hotel.
I noticed a lot of comments about the elevator system. It isn't difficult to figure out, and I didn't see people having a problem with it. Apparently, it is more energy efficient to have people select the floor and be assigned an elevator. This perhaps eveh more so since at times, there seemed to be very very few elevators running. I thought about how you would save energy on a bus route if you only ran one bus a day - but I guess it was only bad once or twice over the course of a week.

The room was kept clean, housekeeping did a good jobe. Yes, the rooms aren't huge, the bathroom isn't gigantic, and the water pressure isn't great.. They have an old analog TV set in the room. However, none of these were dealbreakers. The room was big enough, the bathroom was one person at a time, not a big deal. The bed was updated and very comfortable. That was very nice. We slept well.

The air conditioning worked but there was street noise, you get that in New Orleans. There are some noises that you wonder why they go over and over.

In the hotel, you will hear everything that goes on in the hallway. The maids talk a lot, and they yell over the vacuum cleaners. I think it would be easier on their vocal chords if the hotel got them megaphones. Certainly, no effort was made by them to be quiet and it never seems to occur to them that any guests would be sleeping in the morning. If you have a "do not disturb"sign on your door, they will still be talking loudly and banging on the door next to you.

The concierge lounge - I would rate it as "sort of reasonable". It was there, they had a small selection of beverages, and the breakfast was fine, but afternoon and evening was a crap shoot. I didn't see any wi fi internet in the concierge lounge.

The main lounge area is never quiet. People are using their laptops all day and night. You get 4 hours free if you are not in a room where you pay for internet, and can go on however long you want if you pay the $15 daily fee for internet.

I must warn anyone wanting to use the internet in the rooms that it is VERY slow. You will not find it worth $15 a day. I went even before the conference and it was still slow. Personally, I do not like it when the internet is that bad. I understaned that that several other hotels had slow internet too. New Orleans, you need to get faster internet in your hotels.

If this rating says I would not stay here again, it is solely because the internet was TOO slow and I couldn't switch hotels.

My wife ordered room service for supper and didn't eat most of it, she didn't like it. We didn't really have much other interaction with the hotel - didn't find it enticing to eat in their restaurants and didn't park there.

The bus between the airport and the hotels has your luggage go in the back so you can't see if someone else takes your luggage at a hotel on the way.

If you get in a cab, you are locked in until the driver lets you out, just like a common crimminal.

There is a 24 hour restaurant a block away "Daisy Duke's" and a CVS store a couple of blocks down the steet.

I am of the understanding that they are going to upgrade the internet in August but I think it neeeds to be done before it gets so slow.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

I went to NO for a long 3 day weekend, and got the Marriott for 69 dollars on priceline. the location was perfect, and the property is clean and run very well. the room(one king bed )was nice but quite small - however, i didn't spend much time in my room. it was a 2 block walk to harrahs casino, and right on canal street and the border of the french quarter...I walked everywhere. unlike others, i found street parking EVERYWHERE in NO(even the french quarter!) go to NO...use priceline = have a blast!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Stayed here for one night to tour Bourbon Street. Although this is an old property it is very well kept and the rooms were great. It is just a short walk to Bourbon Street and we felt safe with the walk. The Hotel was secure as was the parking although it was $31.00 which is half of what the room rate was with Priceline.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Having read some of the other reviews, we decided to stay at the Marriott mainly due to the great rates we were able to secure. We took our two sons on a short vacation to New Orleans and had a blast. Our room was on the 39th floor facing the river. The boys loved it. The room was just a typical hotel room. Some have complained that it was too small, but it was just typical to me. It had 2 beds, a night stand, an armoire, a desk, two side chairs and a table. We had plenty of room. We had no problems with the elevators or with noise. The water pressure wasn't great, but we managed to shower just fine. The bathroom is not very big, but most hotels built 20 - 30 years ago have small bathrooms. That's ok with me, because I don't plan to spend too much time in there. The location is perfect. We were right in the middle of everything.

We really don't have any complaints about our stay. We usually stay at one of the older hotels in the French Quarter (e.g. Royal Sonesta, Moneleone, etc.), but we chose the Marriott because of the rates. We would definitely stay here again. it doesn't have the ambiance, architecture and history of some of the older hotels, but it was a really good stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank southMSfamily
Reviewed June 7, 2010

New Orleans Marriott is a nice hotel. Nothing spectacular but the service was awesome and the rooms are extremely comfy. Check -in and out was a breeze, the conceirge was extremely helpful, and the price was great. What sold us was the location. This hotel is literally surrounded by everything. The French Quarter, the Casino, the river, streetcars, all less than a block away. Awesome for those who love the Bourbon street activity but wouldnt want to stay on it. We would definitely visit the Marriott again.
Tips: Take the St. Charles street car to the Garden District. $1.25 one-way and great way to get off the strip and see the beauty of rich New Orleans. Visit Audobon Park if you get a chance, simply beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple