“Terrific place to stay!”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #72 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I just returned from 5 days in New Orleans and had a terrific stay at this hotel. Our room was very spacious (way larger than I was expecting!) and comfortable and had a wonderful view of the river. The hotel is in a great location - the French Quarter is right outside the door; lots of great stuff within easy walking distance. Pretty much everything in this hotel exceeded my expectations, but I have to mention the staff, because everyone, without exception, went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. This made staying in this hotel such a pleasant experience. I would definitely plan to stay here on future trips to NO.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Peromyscus
Write a ReviewReviews (3,649)

Reviewed June 29, 2006

This is a great place to stay in New Orleans. I have now been here three times for business meetings and they have delivered wonderful service. The rooms have been clean and quiet and provided an excellent place to stay. They do charge a lot for parking and Internet but most hotels like this do. The only negative I must voice is that in these post-Katrina times, the walk back to the hotel at night along Canal Street is a bit scary.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Historiana
A TripAdvisor Member
Greenville, SC
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My date and I stayed just returned from NOLA for jazz fest 2006. What a trip!! We stayed from Thursday through yesterday, 4 nights. Michael, the door guy, is super-friendly, a permanent fixture of this hotel, and a pleasure to see every time down that way. Earl Travis, an ex-cabbie and excellent bellhop who always strives to and did exceed every request we had, was a pleasure to greet each and every visit through the lobby. Whether it be finding us milk or dropping things off at our room on the 33rd floor for us (nice view after they met my earlier request for an upper floor), this guy was the best!!
We even needed an air compressor for a painting session and photo shoot of post-Katrina victims and he managed to get one brought up from the service area for our needs for a day. unbelievable....
The maids were very willing and quick to provide for extra anything and didn't want us to worry at any cost.
Car valets were extremely friendly for a daily removal, un/loading, and use of our vehicle (Ritchie Dupui). The lovely ladies at the inside Starbucks were super fun as well.
I sure didn't feel as though we were in a city heavily hurt from Katrina from our surroundings and it was due to the first class service received at every step of the way. In the past, I used to want to stay here only because of the friendliness of Michael every time he has ever grabbed me a cab for jazz fest pasts. I might not stay anywhere else if this is the way all customers are greeted on a daily basis. thanks guys, you made it so good...

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

I recently had to return to New Orleans for work and managed to make the trip coincide with Mardi Gras. I have always liked this Marriott property for it's great staff and superb location. I was a little worried though about the condition of the city and the hotel, and frankly how safe the area would be.

My fears were unfounded though. The hotel looked in great shape, concidering what the town had been through. My room was clean and comfortable. The staff was incredibly helpful as usual and really eager to please.

The security precautions were great too. The security staff was highly visible and positioned all through the lobby. There always seemed to be an abundance of police right outside on Canal Street as well.

Once Mardi Gras began in earnest, the front doors were closed off and everyone coming and going was funneled through the motor port entrance. Bracelets were issued to everyone staying here and you could not gain admittance to the hotel without it.

I have to say this was a great move by the hotel. No worries at all and it did certainly calm any fears.

Not that there needed to be any. I attended several parades this week and it was fun and peaceful. The local as well as the state police were everywhere and it made you feel safer than ever here.

If you are thinking about returning to The Big Easy I would definately say go and stay here. It was a great time and it is nice to see this beautiful city recovering.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank Chuck539
A TripAdvisor Member
Bristow, VA
Reviewed November 30, 2005

Good hotel - I would like to return there once New Orleans is up and running again like it was. I had a fabulous time there just before Mardi Gras 2005.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

We just returned from 5 nights at the New Orleans Marriott. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. There are 3 Marriotts in the New Orelans area and two are on Canal Street less than a block apart. Be sure you know which one you are considering. I requested a corner room and it was larger than the standard rooms but was still on the small side. The bathrooms are very small and there is no vanity or sink or dressing area outside of the actual bathroom. For our family of four, this was a real drawback. Also, the steam from the shower or tub made it almost impossible to dry your hair and there was no wall mirror in the actual hotel room itself. I found this to be very inconvenient.
The beds were wonderful-double sheeted, duvets rather than a bedspread-very nice. Housekeeping could have been better. The bathroom floor was not cleaned during our stay nor was the carpet vacumed.
Our experience witht the breakfast buffet was not good. We found the hot food cold and the buffet line was not kept very well. At $16.00 each, it should have been much better. To be fair, they were extremely busy and appeared to be just overwhelmed. We ordered appetizers from the Lobby bar one evening and they were very good.
The worst problem we had was with the elevators. 30 minute waits were not unusal. We missed a bus one evening because we couldn't get an elevator-we finally had to walk down from the 21st floor. It was a problem every day we were there and at all times of the day. It seemed like out of 8 elevators at the most 3 were working in the tower we stayed in.
Over all it wasn't a bad stay but the hotel is not quite up to par with other Marriotts we've stayed at. Don't expect a 4 star hotel experience, but it is a solid 3. Would we stay there again-probably. The location is great and the staff seemed eager to please.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank RiverCityLass
Reviewed August 4, 2005

I booked a room for a great rate on Priceline. After staying 5 nights at Hotel Monteleone my party and I went to Cajun country and needed a hotel to stay in New Orleans for one night again before our flight. The Mariott did not disappoint. I was just looking for a clean room but was surprised to find great workout facilities, a nice pool, a vibrant lobby, and a colorfully decorated room.

THe elevators are slow and I did only stay there one night. I could see a negative of the hotel being its enormous size. At capacity the hotel probably feels very crowded and the elevators were slow even in our one-night off season stay.

The location is good. You are not in the heart of the french quarter but at the edge of it on canal street. Canal street is a busy city street, not a great spot for a hotel entrance, but it's always bustling and as safe as any other big street in an urban center.

All in all, after two stays at the Hotel Monteleone, I would consider booking my next stay in New Orleans at the Mariott. It did not disappoint.

• Stayed: July 2005