“Good location & a no hassle stay”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #73 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 11, 2009

To me, it was all about location here, not to mention the $65 a night room we got through priceline bidding. The hotel is on the edge of the French Quarter & near everything there & the trolley line. we had absolutely no problems, including the ones others mentionsed. The elevator system worked fine for us, but I could see where it might be a problem during very busy times or if it were not working properly. but it was. The room was a litttle small, but not the smallest I've ever seen (That was the Hudson Hotel in NYC). Overall, it was fine for the 2 of us. We had a king bed. If I had taken the room w/ 2 beds, I suspect it might have been larger. We were on the 14th floor. There was no problem w/ hot water or checking in or out. The room was clean. The maids were nice. It had a friendly bar. There are 2 outdoor pools (too cold for us to use). There were wi-fi hookups in the lounge & you could pay for the internet at the fed ex place in the lobby. $.40 a minute (I think). Didn't use fitness center. The only problem at all might be that there was no fridge in the room. That would have been nice. The concierge was pleasant & helpful, but I would use the visitors' center on (I think it was St. Ann St.). They were very helpful & open every day. I wouldn't eat there either. the prices were too high & you could do better. Cafe Fleur De Lis around the corner was good for breakfast. For lunch & dinner, a couple of good inexpensive places in the area were Acme Oyster House & Napoleon House(pretty French type courtyard)& Cafe Chartres(had a balcony).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chatnoir
Write a ReviewReviews (3,570)

Reviewed April 11, 2009

I did a name your own price for $90/night. The next day I called the hotel directly to confirm my reservation and requested a king bed then. I also called back to double check the day before arrival. When we arrived at the hotel, I was pleased to see such an elegant lobby. Check in was fast and we were in our room within 10 minutes. The room was small, but very clean. The Bath and Body amenities smelled so good, and were a nice touch. The bed was so, so good. It was plenty soft, with a nice down comfortor and a variety of pillows. In fact, both days we ended up back in that bed to nap before going out in the evenings. (And I am a picky person about pillows and bedding!) The hotel is at the edge of the Quarter, so it was a little walking to get down to the heart of things, but not a problem. As far as noise, the only thing that bothered me was the stupid "dinging" of the elevator. No street noise, no noise from other guests. I dont know why people complain about the elevator so much. It wasnt a big deal at all. Other reviews make it sound like rocket science to get to your floor. You walk up and type in your floor number and it tells you which of the 6 or so elevators to get on to. NOT HARD! And I found it no slower than any other elevator I've been on. Also, the bellhop was very friendly and took care of our bags after we checked out, while we did last minute shopping. Then he carried them out to the curb and hailed a taxi for us. He and all the staff we encountered were very pleasant. To sum up...I would certainly return to the Marriott again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BhamALtraveler
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for business for the second time in just under two years. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are about what you'd expect from a large Marriott, i.e., reasonably large, clean, and uninteresting. I had a great view of the river, so if you stay here, be sure to request an upper floor with a river view. The hotel has the annoying $14 internet access charge (although free for four hours a day in the lobby). The rate (just over $130) was too high given that friends attending the same meeting stayed in smaller properties within a block for well below $100 and had nicer rooms, service just as nice, and free internet access and breakfast. The elevator system in the hotel broke down under the strain of too many conference goers. It is a new system designed to "maximize efficiency" -- you punch in your floor, the system tells you which of seven elevators to board, but then there are no floor buttons in the car. At 10 am this morning, I waited more than 10 minutes for a car, didn't get one, and finally was forced to get on one going up just so I could go down. Very annoying.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank tkelly7
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I stayed at the New Orleans Marriott for one night last week. I can't say enough about the service and location. When I got to the hotel to check in, I was upgraded to a double corner room suite. It was absolutely gorgeous with a dining room table, living room, murphy bed and bathroom in one "room" and a king bed and bathroom in the other room. (I'm a gold elite member, but I've never had an upgrade like that before). The front desk was very helpful in suggesting things to do in the short time that we were there. The breakfast was really good and when my flight was delayed, they gave me a late check out for 2:30pm. They were extremely accommodating. I didn't have any problems at all with the elevators (they came quickly every time). I didn't have to wait long for my car with the valet parking, but agree that it's ridiculously priced at $36 per day. I guess when added on to the room price ($89 per night), it's not too bad, but it would be nice if it was complimentary for guests. When I go back to New Orleans, I'll definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Tara W
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Stayed two nights last week. Like someone else, we ended up with 2 doubles instead of a king that we requested. Frankly bed wasn't very comfortable for the two of us. Room was quiet enough. Elevators were slow. Room was clean enough- no complaints.
Internet access was free downstairs in the lobby, so I never paid for it- this is a major complaint of mine- paying for internet to a place charging $200/night when Motel 6 provides it for free.

Location was great- a few blocks from Acme Oyster.

If I was going for business again and had a reason to stay at this hotel I would be willing to- no great sacrifice, but I would check to make sure we got the beds we requested. But for myself, I would pick a cheaper hotel with character in the French Quarter.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JeffSF
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I had a conference in New Olreans the last week in March, but planned a few additional days to enjoy the city. This hotel is definitely not what you expect for $240! The night we arrived they did not have any one-bed rooms, as we had requested, so they put us in a room with two double beds (which seemed extra small). For starters, the room had been lazily cleaned....we found the last occupants boarding pass on the dresser, a bar of used soap in the shower, and the coffee had not been re-stocked. It was also near the elevators, which were SO INCREDIBLY loud. The elevators also took forever, as it seems they need to work the kinks out of their system (you enter your room # and are told which elevator to take).

The next morning they moved us to a corner room on the 39th floor. The views were amazing, however the windows were so dirty, inside and out, that you couldn't fully appreciate it. This room was nicer, however both rooms were very small. Nothing at all is soundproof in this hotel, as we could hear the service elevators 24 hours a day, and every single person in the hallway coming and going. To make matters worse, the air conditioner would not turn off and blew directly onto the bed.

The bathrooms were so small that one person could barely manuever, let alone two! The worst of it all is that there is no hot water. For our first couple of days the hot water came in spurts....it would be really hot, then switch to cold for a minute, then back to very hot, etc. But on our final morning there was absolutely no hot water at all.

The restaurant is overpriced and the food is not good at all.....worst I ate in my time in New Orleans. Wireless internet was $15 a day, and the business center was poor and overpriced as well. I heard another person at my conference say they charged him for use of the fitness center as well.

On a positive note, the hotel is in a very good location, just on the edge of the French Quarter and a couple of blocks to Bourbon Street. Additionally, the staff is extremely friendly, as we found to be the case with almost all New Orleans natives. If I were to do it over, I would stay in one of the quaint hotels in the Quarter. They all had so much character. Also, there are several other large chain hotels that are just as close to the action as the New Orleans Marriott, including the Sheridan and the JW Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank DenverGirl11
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Stayed here for three nights during a conference. First day/night was good. Staff was wonderfully friendly, from the valet to the concierge and everyone we encountered in between. Second day went alright, until I saw a mouse in the conference room. I alerted a staff member, who was exteremely apologetic. He in turn alerted someone else and she was also apologetic as they attempted to locate the mouse. They never found it, but they at least seemed to care. Third day, saw a mouse while waiting in the atrium outside the ballroom. This one was climbing the curtain. I alerted a banquet staff member who looked at me like she could care less. I asked if she could contact someone from maintenance and she said she would, but I never saw anyone come and I saw her a few minutes later setting tables in the ballroom. After that, I was more than ready to leave. I slept with the light on in my room those two nights out of fear and was more than ready to leave. Despite its convenient location, this is not a place I would choose to patron again.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business