“Just Right!”

Ranked #73 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, TX
“Just Right!”
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My best friend and I stayed at the New Orleans Marriot this weekend. It was great. The location is great you can get on all 3 trolleys within a block of the hotel. The french quarter is on one side of the hotel and Harrah's casino is a block down on the other side. We got our room for $89 through travelzoo though we enjoyed the room enough to pay full price. Though the special said King bed with no view we were given 2 queens with a view of Harrah's, the bridge and the Mississippi. Like other posters we agree the beds were AWESOME! The hotel has it's own parking garage so you just pull in and they park your car and unload your stuff, so easy. When we walked into the hotel two people were set up to direct you to check in. The lobby is very smart. The middle is a big lounge area with a bar at the end. People used that area for many things- some were working or using laptops, some were waiting or relaxing, some were snacking/drinking/talking. As far as our room size, I think the room size was average and the decor very tasteful. We ate the breakfast buffet in the hotel 5fifty5 restaurant. As lovers of breakfast we thougt it was very good but it would be pricey for a whole family. The concierge was nice and helpful and gave us dinner recommendations. We ate at Bourbon House which is just past Acme Oyster. She recommended Acme but the line was long so moved on and ate at Bourbon. The food was good and seafood especially the oysters tasted really fresh. You call the parking garage 5 minutes before you leave and they pull your car and have it waiting for you. And they put a ice cold bottle of water in the cup holder, nice touch. Oh, and the shampoo, etc was citrus and also a nice touch. I like to travel so when planning a getaway first I decide my budget and then the area I want to be in. Then look for hotels with comfy beds and great location. This hotel met all my travel criteria. For me this hotel's beds were equivalent to the Pan Pacific in SanFrancisco (and that says alot)! Happy Travels!!

• Liked — location and beds
  • Disliked — not enough desserts/not right desserts on the room service menu
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shoreline CT
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I just returned from a convention in New Orleans, and stayed at the 555 Canal Street Marriott. The hotel feels fresh and new, great wall art, very hip and crisp feeling decor.
The rooms were a bit on the small side for Marriott, but I was lucky to be given a corner room, that seemed larger than the other rooms.
One day I was somehow skipped for housekeeping service, but other than that, no complaints. I would stay there again, it is a great location for walking the city and the french quarter (canal street seems to divide the two districts). The hotel food was very good, at a reasonable price. I advise paying a bit more for the concierge lounge access. Breakfast, evening snacks and desserts served until 10PM.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank daisy20071960
Maryland
Reviewed August 9, 2008

After a night of partying or after a walking tour of the french quater, the bed in this place is FANTASTIC.

The rooms were small, but well worth it. The hotel is located within walking distance for everything. I recommend this hotel for long stays, short stays, over-night. We stayed in the river tower. We had a view of the mississippi river and Canal Street. Like I said the rooms are small, I wouldn't recomend more that two people to a room.

The lobby area was always lively, plus the drinks and the food in the lobby were tasty.

Although frowned upon by many reviewers and some people at the hotel, I love the elevaor and the concept that you get on the elevator that is not going to make frequent stops.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travel-n-Buppie
Picayune, Mississippi
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This hotel has a great lobby. The service is prompt and friendly and the food as good as in any New Orleans restaurant and reasonally priced, too. The portions are big enough for two. The lobby is a busy place and its bustle adds to its character instead of detracting from it. The front desk service was excellent and the clerk quickly responded to our request to remove an in-room internet charge from our bill. Checkout was quick and efficient. The bell staff will store luggage after checkout if your plans require you to stay at an event after the noon checkout. The elevators were easy to get used to and were fairly quick to arrive after summoned. My only negative comments concern the convention facilities: they lacked close restroom facilities and the hotel dance floor was dirty and sticky in spots, which was unfortunate as we were at a dance event.

• Liked — The lobby
  • Disliked — The room was small
  • Stayed June 2008
Louisiana
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed for one night on July 18th and I hated to leave this hotel! We got a great rate through Priceline-although I wouldn't mind paying regular rate to stay here again. The staff was very attentive-walking up to the registration lines to help guests, offering directions and quickly responding to all requests. The beds were very comfortable! The breakfast buffet was also quite good with lots of items-including eggs benedict! We're looking forward to our next visit to this great hotel!

• Liked — Amazing staff!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank snne
Dallas Area, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2008

We are Silver Elite members with Marriott Rewards. We have stayed at Marriotts around the country, and this surpasses all other Marriotts so far.

The valets and bell staff treated us like family and addresses us by name. We were here on a vacation in NOLA, we payed $107 for a room that the Marriott website said would have "no view". Oh did we get a surprise! We were on the 18th floor in the River Tower. When there is 41 floors in this Tower, your not very high up compared to above you. Floor 18 is a Marriott Rewards Elite Only Level (you must have elite status to stay on this floor). I have posted some pictures of our views and our room on here to. We loved the Marriott Revive Bedding! It has pillowtop comforters and duvets which are all very soft and plush.

Overall, this has been the best of our Marriott experiences so far.

• Liked — The room (Comfort, Views, etc.)
  • Disliked — Food is overpriced
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed July 15, 2008

The NO Marriott is located on Canal Street, between Decater and Royal (or close to Royal anyhow). I had never been to New Orleans before, so I didn't realize what a great location that really was. I didn't actually pick it--I was placed there after winning a bid on Priceline. Canal, as it turns out, divides "Uptown" from the French Quarter. It was so convenient for me to just walk out the door and be able to walk down the street to the FQ (Bourbon Street, all the antique shops, great music, dance, restaurants) as well as to go across the street to catch the street car (which took me into the Garden District). Turning left out the door, I was quickly able to get to the end of Canal Street, where you can take a free ferry to Algiers. The hotel was very clean, nice lobby for people watching, and staff was friendly and helpful in terms of helping me ( I was vacationing solo, so they provided excellent travel tips). My room was on the small side, but it was cute, and had a king bed. It was billed as a 4 star, but I'd say it was more of a 3 star type accommodation. I did not eat at the restaurant because there were so many places that had been recommended in the FQ, but they did have one. I also did not use the bar area, but it had tons of seating, and many others were chatting there. While I was there, there was a convention for the National Association for the Deaf, so people were signing all over the place--it was a VERY quiet week. The pool was nice, and it felt good to cool off in the afternoon after sight seeing in 104 humid weather. Because the pool is outdoors, and it is between towers (which block the sun), you only get direct tanning rays for a few hours in the afternoon as far as I could tell, but it was enough to turn me golden brown over the course of my 4 day stay. I would be very disappointed if I returned to the city and Priceline placed me anywhere but there. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed while they do their search that the Marriott NO comes up when I return to NO in the future, which I certainly plan to!

• Liked — location and cleanliness--classy appearance
  • Disliked — Because it was so large, it lacked the French Quarter "intimitate" appeal.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo