“New Orleans”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #72 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel was in a very good location - right next to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. East to get to and in the middle of everything. Close to public transportation for touring around the city. I was disappointed in our room, though. It was more the quality of a two star hotel. It was acceptable, but not what I expected for this kind of hotel. The common areas were nice, plenty of assistance, clean and visible security. The parking (required valet) was very expensive. It was OK, but I would choose another hotel if I were returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cynthia s

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I am a Marriott Rewards member and so have stayed at a fair amount of Marriott properties. My last stay at a Residence Inn in Asheville, NC was a bit to be desired, but the New Orleans Marriott restored my faith in the Marriott brand. From the minute my taxi dropped me off, the bell hop was very helpful and very friendly. When I registered, the front desk was very polite and energetic. I went to my room and found it pleasant and clean. It did not have a great view and for over $300 a night, I hoped it was better, but the conference priced rooms were all sold out. Still it was very nice and even had a small fridge, desk, and a chair in addition to the king-sized bed. The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. Everything was very well-appointed and modern. When my colleagues and I asked the concierge about where a good coffee shop was that wasn't Cafe Du Monde, he gave us one right away. He was always very upbeat, helpful and old-school gentleman, a real delight. and refreshing. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and had the buffet. It had a beignet station, which I thought was a great local tie-in. Unlike so many buffets, this one had a lot of fresh produce, omelettes made to order, great bakery items, and much more. The waitress was great about making sure we had plenty of hot coffee too. It was very pleasant and a nice respite. The hotel is very near so many things, it was easy to get around. It's in a safe part of town and the trolley runs by it. The casino is not far, if you want to go there. I'm not a big fan of it. I was there a few years ago and the lack of natural light and loud noise gave me a headache. I decided I really don't like casinos. I much prefer to be outside strolling in Jackson Square and looking at the art work by local artists, or on the trolley touring the Garden District. There was a great breeze blowing one day when we went to the river. Just watching the steam boats with their paddles was very tranquil and relaxing. There are great antique shops down Royal, I think that was the street. I'm not much of a Bourbon Street fan...too many drunk people and seediness for my taste. When you have a teenage girl and pass by a place called Barely Legal...well, your stomach kind of does flips when you think there's probably someone's daughter in there who is there because she doesn't think she has a choice...in fact, that's how I felt about most of Bourbon Street. When I was younger, I think I focused more on the great frozen daiquiris you could walk around with and how cool it was that you could drink Absinthe at Absinthe House and pretend that you and Hemingway had a bond. But I digress...the hotel is great...located conveniently to all the sights, clean and well-appointed rooms with excellent restaurants and wonderful customer service. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a river view and a higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear FloridaWriter, thanks for your kind words. It's wonderful to know that a stay here at the New Orleans Marriott restored your faith in the brand. Whether it's a guest's first or fifth visit, we always strive to provide an exceptional experience rooted in local flavor and character. We believe that any great experience begins with top-notch service, and that's why we staff only the most qualified and knowledgeable hospitality professionals. From check-in to checkout, it's our hope that your stay is filled with pleasant encounters, unexpected delights, and plenty of rest and relaxation.

You mentioned that you like walking around town. Our central location makes it easy to simply get out and go. You can go wherever the wind takes you, or, for a more structured adventure, we are always willing to recommend a few of our favorite destinations. And with the classic New Orleans streetcars passing right by our hotel, you can travel more swiftly without sacrificing scenery.

We'd love to host you again soon, so if there's anything we can do to help plan a visit, just let us know.

Robert Bray

New Orleans Marriott

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed at this property last weekend during a time the hotel was completely booked for the LSU-UF game. Despite the full capacity everything was smooth. The property is in a great location for all French Quarter or nearby needs. Just two blocks from Bourbon Street and Harrah's Casino. The property is somewhat older but the rooms are modern and well maintained. I was on the 30th floor and no noise or other issues. The elevators are very efficient as they use the same technology that they use at the NY Marriott Marque property whereby you key in your floor number and it tells you which car to ride for a speedy trip to your floor. Certainly would stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Big hotel high floors can provide nice views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was a planned weekend getaway for DH and I. This was my first stay here and my DH second. We did valet parking because we planned to walk the city. Valet was $30+ a day. But please be advised. There really is NO free parking anywhere in the city.

Check in was a breeze. DH is an Elite Gold Marriott Member, so we walked up were greeted and told they were expecting us and were handed our room keys at 10:30 in the morning. Room was ready, no waiting.

We were on the 30th floor. The room was clean, a little aged, and had a great view of Canal street. Comfortable bed and all the necessities.

The hotel is in great proximity to everything. The French Quarter, Bourbon Street, Harrah's Casino, The Riverfront, and there is a trolley pick-up station right in front of the hotel. CVS is also located on the corner of Canal and Bourbon. Everything is right there!

This hotel's lobby is always hopping! There is a large lobby bar with a large sitting area. This was the weekend of the LSU vs. FSU game and there was a projection screen viewing of the game in addition to all of the TVs in the lobby. Very friendly and fun vibe. There is also the "5fifty5" restaurant, a Starbucks and a hotel shop in the lobby. (We did enjoy a club sandwich and cheese burger from the 5fifty5 restaurant.)

Overall this was a great stay. Would I visit this hotel again?....YES!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting last week. The rooms were nicely updated, clean and I had a great river view. For the meeting, the staff was prompt, food was of good quality and service was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel if you are planning a business meeting.

I did not use workout facilities as I took the opportunity of 70 degree weather to run outside. The pool area appeared as if it is shaded much of the day. No hot tub or spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wasn't crazy about New Orleans, but our hotel was wonderful. I've never had such great service. If you asked a question about weather, venues, or directions from anyone from the bell boy, desk worker or bartender, you got like everything you would ever want to know. They almost walked you there. Our room and hotel in general was very very clean and you couldn't have asked for a better experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The room was clean, the hotel was quiet, and its in a good location. Just a few minute walk from the French Quarter. The hotel is older but I guess that is to be expected since it is an old city. The bathroom seemed small and I wish there would have been a fan/vent in the bathroom.