New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #71 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas
“Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here during the Essence Festival and it was great! The hotel is located a few blocks from Bourbon Street so you're right in the center of all of the action. There was DJ at the hotel during the day, so all we had to do was go down stairs if we wanted. The staff was very nice and professional. Although the hotel was VERY crowded because of the event, the check in and check out went smoothly. Since, check out was approximately four hours before our plane departure, we were able to leave our bags while we ate and shopped for souvenirs. I'll definitely stay here for all of my New Orleans visits.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank njs00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for Essence Fest and the location was perfect! Breakfast everyday was awesome and the women making the omelettes were great! They had happy hour with a DJ in the lobby so it was the perfect pre-party location! We definitely be back when I visit

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Tamika M
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

When we travel to New Orleans, we usually try to stay away from large hotel chains, but this was very enjoyable! We slept well even though the beds were a little small. The location is great. The food in the lobby bar was really good. My only complaint is that it was pretty loud in the lobby, but there was a lot of traffic each time we came through, so I guess that is to be expected. If traveling with a large group, I would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm not sure where to start because I was so disappointed with this hotel. 3 stars is very generous, and I'm only giving it 3 stars because of service and the location (on Canal and a few short blocks from tourist attractions and French quarters) were very good.

I was in New Orleans over the July 4th weekend with my husband and two children, ages 5 and 16. We arrive at the hotel and walk into this beautiful lobby area. However, the rooms were SMALL and comparable to a Motel 6. The head boards were nailed to the wall. Seriously!! The bathrooms were so small that I could reach out and touch the bathroom door while using the bathroom. I was seriously expecting someone to jump out of the closet and inform me that I was being punked!

The hotel was extremely busy due to a music festival and we were prepared for that. What we were not prepared for was "Club Marriott" Full on club in the hotel lobby. Complete with DJ!!Try explaining half naked women and lewd dancing to a 5 year old. It appeared the hotel management had no interest in getting this under control.

The pool was nice and mostly quiet and the restaurant in the hotel was decent. The breakfast buffet was actually excellent. The concierge, valets and front desk staff were very attentive and helpful (they save this review from being "terrible")

I can't recommend this hotel...for the rates you can stay in a much nicer place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelinglady01
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Travelinglady01, I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Though our beautiful lobby is typically a hub of activity, as guests come and go, during the weekend of your stay the Essence Music Festival was taking place in the entire New Orleans market. My hope is that the increased traffic didn't interfere with your plans. We do our best to maintain a consistent level of service no matter how busy we are, however I want to assure you that we understand your concerns and appreciate your comments. All of our guests are important and we never want them to feel uncomfortable.

It sounds as though there were a few bright spots, including our service, restaurants, and pool area. Our breakfast buffet, which you mentioned, is a guest favorite. There's no better way to start your day than with a fresh, well-balanced meal. Hopefully your next stay is a bit more balanced as well. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions or concerns.

Robert Bray

Opelousas, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel always makes you feel important. The staff is very professional and kind. Great place to stay. Rooms are clean and the beds are to die for! Close walking distance to the French Quarter, French Market, Cafe Du Monde, WWII museum,and so much more. My business was a convention which they have hosted for at least 15 years. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby!

Room Tip: Rooms on the riverside give you a clear view of the river traffic. It's beautiful at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kori J, Resident Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear sbspeyer, I'm glad to hear you had a good time here at the New Orleans Marriott. Your first sentence says it all! Our guests are the most important part of the entire equation, and we'll move mountains to make sure they leave happy. Having a Starbucks conveniently located in the lobby certainly helps our cause.

We're so glad you've made a home away from home at our hotel; it's a position we don't take lightly. If there's one thing we've learned, it's that no two trips to New Orleans are ever the same. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything we can do to make your next stay that much more special.

Kori Johnson

Resident Manager
Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've recently retired and travel roughly 100 days a year. I stay @ several hotels throughout the US and abroad. I have never in my life witnessed such profound, diligent, and unique hospitality like that of the New Orleans Marriott. If you have an opportunity to stay, go and locate Paul (Starbucks) and Chris (Lobby). These two guys went way out of their way to make my stay one of the most memorable experiences to date. The only bad note I have is on the condition of the rooms. Needs serious updating, but I was told they will be investing in the rooms in the near future.

Room Tip: Go for the corner room. It's a modest upgrade, but awesome view of the city and river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mrpenningtonchris
Kori J, Resident Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear mrpenningtonchris, it was our pleasure to host a season traveler such as yourself. We know that with experience comes certain expectations, and it sounds like your stay here at the New Orleans Marriott delivered across the board. We appreciate the kind words you had for our staff—and in particular Paul and Chris. I'll be sure to let them know their efforts did not go unnoticed!

You heard right; we are always updating and modernizing the hotel, and you just might like what you find upon your next visit. We hope to see you back in New Orleans soon.

Kori Johnson

Resident Manager
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am Marriotts rewards member and we always chose to stay at the Marriott if we find a good location. This Marriott is located right on Canal street and steps away from the French quarter ( Royal street and bourbon street) , the WWII museum and the Superdome. The rooms were smaller for what we paid and parking was $ 35 a day! Although it was very convenient, there are nearby public parking which is cheaper. They have a good lounge area but gets crowded during the evening. If you flying into New Orleans, don't even think of renting a car. Parking is expensive and limited. Take a cab straight to the location. You don't have to worry about parking or driving in the narrow one way streets. Cabs are easily available to tour other parts of the city which are farther. Or you can always enjoy charm of riding on the street car. Nothing much to complain here, other than the fact that we were paying a price just for the location. I guess that's a fair deal in NOLA :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kori J, General Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Vinaya_Kini, thanks for your review. Here in New Orleans, it's all about location, and we're fortunate to have a great address. It's one of the biggest draws for our guests, and what they remember most after checking out. With a great location comes a commensurate parking rate, and though we do our best to price our facility and services fairly, we know it's not for everyone. You cited a number of great alternatives, including taxis and streetcars. We're always happy to arrange transportation for our guests; just say the word, and you'll be good to go. Of course, traveling on foot is sometimes the best option, and certainly the best way to discover the city's hidden gems.

Overall, it sounds like you had a great stay, and we'd love the chance to raise the bar with another visit. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help plan a trip.

Robert Bray