“Comfortable but necessary amenities cost extra”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #73 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed a quick one night stay here while in New Orleans for a conference and some sightseeing. The room was clean and comfortable, aa well as quiet. Some basic amenities were not included in the rate at this hotel: I paid $39 for valet only parking, skipped the ~$15 wifi (free in lobby only), and found no coffee provided in room. However, on the pay model, a Starbucks is conveniently located in lobby. Likewise, no free business center, but a FedEx business center located in lobby (pay per minute computers).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,610)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were on a 1.5 month road trip across the U.S. and so we wanted our 3 night stay in New Orleans to be comfortable from our long road trip. We've stayed at many hotels in the Marriott chain before and we are hardly ever disspointed. I found the best rate at the time (end of July) for this hotel on the Marriott website: $129 per night. Of course that wasn't gonig to include Internet or parking. Usually in a big city parking is never free. I knew if I really needed to access Internet on my laptop I could go to the hotel lobby and get free access. This was my second trip to New Orleans so I knew I wanted to be walking distance to French Quarter, but not inside FQ.
This location was right on Canal street which made it even better because the walk to the nearby casino was short.

Two things happened when we arrived that had never happened to us before when we've traveled. 1) We arrived at hotel expecting to park ourselves onsite so we could unload all our stuff. We were told that we absolutely could not self park and that we had to quickly exit the car so the valet could take car and park. There was a long line of cars behind us and we felt very rushed in trying to unload our things while the valet supervisor stood over us. Then I found out that our car may not be parked onsite, but may be stored off property someone where a few blocks away. I did not like this. Once we loaded up a luggage trolley with all our things, we were told we couldn't move the trolley ourselves, a porter had to do it, hotel policy. So now we had to fish around for a tip and found we hadn't planned on using hotel help so we hadn't prepared to have small bills on us. Very uncomfortable. As the porter escorted us into the hotel lobby he pointed for us to go to registration and that our luggage would be left in an area of the lobby and brought up later to our room. I looked over and noticed that the area my luggage would be left was unattended and unsecured by any hotel staff that I could see. Again I did not like this. We had valuables in our luggage. My experience with the hotel clerk who checked us in was also uncomfortable. The young man was rude and sarcastic. I had never had that kind of service from a Marriott or other high end hotel like this. We ended up again having to scramble for tip money because yet again another person brought up our luggage to our room. Overall initially I felt like the policies of the hotel made it so that a guest checking in had to be helped by serveral hotel staff that placed the guest in a position of having to tip left and right. Aside from the front desk clerk all the other hotel staff were very friendly.

Once we arrived at our room, we found the usual attention to detaild and comfort of Marriotts that we have come to expect. We had a great view of the canal and city scape. Overall our 3 nights at the hotel were great and the hotel location was perfect. I will defintely stay here again, but be prepared with small bills to tip since I know what to expect at check-in next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as there is a lot of street noise and ask for a canal facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisaviva
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is a little expensive, but it´s very nice, clean, safe and confortable.
The bad point is that they don´t have free internet acess in the apartaments and they dont offer breackfast.
The localization is excellent (french quarter) and the restaurant is amazing (excellent meals for 20 USD).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I really like this hotel. I have stayed here with my family, for business and this quick trip was with my husband. River view tower rooms offer the best views. True, decor is a bit outdated in the rooms, but doesn't bother me. Pool area is nice..Heated too. Staff were great..always willing to answer a question/make suggestions. It's a great location..right on Canal Street..and French Quarter is located right behind the hotel! Walking distance to many exceptional restaurants and the Casino.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river(river tower) Even-numbered rooms are what you want on a high floor away...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great Location
I was at the Marriot for a 6 day convention. The hotel was in close proximity to everything, and the surrounding restaurants were great. The rooms were a little small but comfortable, and the staff was GREAT!; so willing to help with whatever was needed!!! Especially the staff that helped served at our banquet gala.

The only downside to the hotel was it was EXTREAMLY COLD in the building; so cold I had to have a jacket or long sleeves to be comfortable. Then, if when I wanted to go outside, I was either stuck having to carry my jacket, or forced to take my jacket to the room. I have been in many cities and countries that have hot / humid heat, but I never experienced the drastic tempter difference transitioning from build to outdoors as I did in the Marriot Hotel (Canal Street). It would be great if they could regulate their cooling system to a more comfortable tempter.

Room Tip: If your traveling during the warm to hot time of the year, bring a jack or sweater if you plan to sp...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank shalaura
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed recently @ the Marriott on Canal St. Beautiful, well appointed lobby, with an excellent design conducive to relaxation and pehaps a friendly drink or two. Rooms were quite acceptable, beds could be improved upon a little. One note to fellow sunbathers: the Sheraton, tall and to your west, I think, will probably be blocking your rays by mid afternoon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank justme54481
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited the New Orleans Marriott the weekend before Halloween. The location is great and generally within walking distance of almost everything. The room was acceptable. The beds seemed to be a bit broken down and could use an upgrade. The major downside is the noise. The pipes clank A LOT, you can hear conversations through the vents in the bathroom and the noise in the hallway was pretty loud (not that the Marriott can do anything about folks coming home at 3 am after a really fun night -- at least that was what it sounded like.) The other downside is a lack of a spa. We ended up going to the Ritz Carlton for a pedicure. All in all the location is worth it. Afterall, who goes to NOLA to sleep?!?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family