“Great location”

Lamothe House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Great place to stay. We booked two rooms both with a double bed. The one on the ground was massive with a tiny bathroom and the one up stairs was small with a large bathroom so if you have a preference use this as a guide. The hotel itself is gorgeous - loved hearing that they say its haunted!! No ghosts for us though :) So close to everything you need to do great restaurants hidden around the corner and also bourbon street is down the road. The pool was clean and tidy and refreshing after a long day. Only negatives was check in was a nightmare took 30 mins the phone kept ringing and interrupting and the doorman had to keep talking to other staff members and let people into the hotel also a fridge in the room would have been perfect. The aircon in the room was quite noisy but overall had a great stay and would stay here again - great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Marianne P, Manager at Lamothe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

We are so thrilled to hear you found our location to be so ideal and enjoyed both of the rooms booked for your group. We apologize if there was a delay in your check-in and have taken the opportunity to speak with our team about accelerating the process, even when it's busy as seems to be the case with your experience. We hope to have you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties and perhaps next time you'll have a haunted moment as you had hoped for!

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at the Lamothe House. We were very early checking in and our room was not ready but Dionne (I apologize in advance for any misspelled names!!) told us to leave our bags in the lobby and our room would be ready as soon as possible. She was awesome!

The hotel: It's an old old building with old charm. That's what we were looking for. It is on the east end of the quarter so walking to bourbon is not terrible, but it is a little ways and it was hot!!! If you are going to spend any time over by Canal, it is not close to that area. Frenchmans is just behind the hotel so is much closer and quieter. The pool was nice and refreshing but cloudy every day.

The room: We had a king room on the bottom floor of the main building facing the courtyard. Perfect for 2. The room appeared to be clean and was just like the photo online. In fact, I think it might have been our room. Bed was comfortable for me, but I can sleep just about anywhere. We had plenty of room for our clothes in the closet and dresser. I wish there had been more counter space in the bathroom though. We had a couple of iffy situations with the cleanliness though. We had to switch the ceiling fan so that the air was pushing downward. Doing this caused all kinds of crud from the blades to fall down. We didn't allow housekeeping into our room the 2nd day because we were not ready to leave but she did give us clean towels. We found later that our ice bucket had standing water in the bottom and we did not have plastic bags for liners. We called Christopher who immediately brought us a new one and liners. We were not ready to leave the 3rd day when cleaning arrived but didn't want to miss 2 days so let her in while we were getting ready. She made the bed but didn't change the sheets. She did not clean the shower, toilet, or sink. She did not sweep. She only took our trash and used towels then replaced them. I don't know if this is because we were still there or if it is there policy not to clean the room until you check out but even then I'm not sure a great job is done. I found a plastic razor cover in our shower that was not ours and was apparently left from the previous guests. Oh and bring your own hairdryer if you have a lot of hair. Theirs is small and not very powerful. They do supply toiletries but not body wash only bar soap to wash with.

Where we ate: Since We arrived very early and were not able to check in We walked down to EAT after on a suggestion from a friend, took a bottle of champagne (they are byob) and had a terrific brunch. Delicious food. I am somewhat of a gravy snob but the biscuits and gravy were amazing. Fried green tomatoes were yummy as well. After brunch we walked down bourbon street then back to the hotel. We were able to check in even though it was before 3. We changed and relaxed in the pool after a hot walk. We asked Dionne if we could get a drink somewhere and she brought two bottles of water to the pool. She was a doll. A short walk for Dinner at Port of Call that night. We split a filet even though they are famous for burgers. It was very good. Went back for burgers the day we left and they were good as well. We went to Cochon Butcher for a muffaletta the next day. We had to take a cab there. It was good, but I guess I expected it to be stacked with meat and cheese and it wasn't. I am not an expert in that kind of food so maybe that is how it is supposed to be served. We had dinner at Irene's that night and I had my first soft-shell crab dish. It was amazing and probably our best meal of the week. We did the coolinary menu at Antoine's the next day for lunch and we had the beef and the pork which were both delicious. They also had 25 cent Arnold Palmer martinis. The flavor changes daily. We had dinner at Mr. B's and it was probably the loudest restaurant I have ever been to. The food was good though. We tried the appetizer 111 which was a duck spring roll, a fried oyster, and a panko breaded shrimp. We also had the soup 111 which was the seafood gumbo, gumbo ya ya, and a red pepper fontina soup. All were amazing. We had beignets at Café Du Monde. If there is an open table just go in and sit. They will wait on you and you don't have to wait in line. Don't use the restroom there though. It is bad.

Drinks: Had a monsoon and a Huma Huma at Port of call. They were tasty and super strong. Make sure you stir it. We went to Spirits on Bourbon since I am a Bar rescue fan and had the resurrection and bought the flashing skull cup. The owner came by and we talked to him for a while. We had drinks from the original daiquiri shop and it was good too, but not very strong. It was nice and cold for walking on the hot street. Don't use the restroom there though!!!!!!! No lock on the door and it was a one-holer. No soap and only a trickle from the faucet. It was disgusting. I asked the bartender about it and she said they used a restroom upstairs.....really??? Had a sazarac from Mr. B's because we were told it was original to the area. It was tasty if you like whiskey and very strong. We bought beer from verti-mart (cash only) and kept that in our room. We also had a frozen irish coffee at Erin Rose that was delicious and cool to take on a hot walk.

One more tip. If you plan to visit the St. Louis cemetery, they close at 3. We took a couple of street cars then walked a few blocks and arrived at 3:15. Ugh!!!

All in all was a fun trip and although we will probably not ruturn to NOLA we would stay at the Lamothe House again if we did.

Room Tip: Room 106 was perfect location in the main house and right next to the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank terri c
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I spent four nights here this week and it was great! I loved that it was just off the French Quarter. While wandering I came upon Frenchmen Street. Great music here, and great food. I am a woman traveling alone and never felt unsafe, although I do admit that I made sure to be back in my room before 10 pm. I stayed in the guest house behind the main house, which was by the parking lot so very convenient. The neighborhood cats liked to lay on my porch which gave it a homey feel but don't worry if you don't like cats. They don't like people and won't come too close. The room was great - high ceilings, hardwood floors - great. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed in the Lamothe House guest house, which is a separate building (converted house) on the street directly behind the hotel. Keep in mind this is a historical building, so there are no elevators and the floors have some dips and bumps. The location was great for the price, we could hear music from the bar down the street playing from our porch. I noticed reviews saying it was noisy, and was a little nervous when I booked but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting... this is the French Quarter after all, noise is to be expected. We had no problems sleeping. The hotel pool was nice, towels were in stock during the day but toward the end it was iffy. The "spa tub" is attached to the pool and is NOT hot. You can just turn the bubbles on. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the guest house, which has direct access from the street. If you feel insecure about th...
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Loved this property. We had a one bed room. The bathroom was very tight. Had to squeeze in to get to the toilet. Other than that, everything was fantastic. Pool was relaxing and the jetted tub added to our delight. Very pleasant staff too! Wonderful K cup coffee in the morning-used it every day! The only drawback is it is a good 5-10 minute walk to Burbon Street. Felt safe though.

Room Tip: Glad our room was on the first floor! Steps are winding to the second.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Spent four nights here just last week and loved it! The rooms are nice, the hotel is very cool, my daughter loved the pool, and the staff were all very nice! Great place to stay because it is only a block from the French Quarter - for all that excitement, but far enough away that it is safe and peaceful at night! Will be back again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2014

For starters, we were set to arrive early evening on July 25th. I was a little nervous that we would be at risk of losing our room or being bumped to a lesser quality room. To put my mind at ease, I contacted the Lamothe house the day before our departure. I was greeted by a remarkably pleasant voice. I explained my concerns to the person answering the phone (whom I soon learned was DeAun). She immediately set about putting my fears to rest by explaining that I was in no danger at all of losing my room due to checking in between 8:30pm and 9:00pm.

She also went as far as to patiently, and with great detail, provide us with insider restaurant, live music, and city sights suggestions. I actually felt as though she was my personal travel agent and guide.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I couldn't wait to meet this unbelievable hotel representative. DeAun did not disappoint ! She was just as pleasant, professional, and attentive in person. We checked into our room which was very clean. However, much smaller than I had expected. The queen bed was very comfortable with very clean and crisp linen. The hardwood floor was smooth and visually appealing. The nightstands that were alongside both sides of the bed, had 2 spacious drawers each. There was also a 3 drawer spacious dresser as well. The hotel provides a clean pool and orderly pool area which holds plenty of comfortable lounge chairs. Our room was located in the courtyard area consisting of pretty greenery, cobblestone walkways, and a stone fountain. The ice machine could also be accessed by taking a leisurely stroll through the scenic courtyard and past the pool.

The hotel doesn't provide guests with toothbrushes or toothpaste. I was also a bit disappointed by the size of our bathroom which didn't include a tub. Nor would one have fit. But every encounter I had with the hotel staff, from the front desk to housekeeping, was ideal. Every question that we had related to anything in New Orleans, was greeted with an eager response full of personal suggestions that we greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to DeAun, Todd, and Jonathan !

Room Tip: Make sure to ask specific questions about room size and amenities.
1  Thank Hungry H