“Feels like going home”
Review of Le Pavillon Hotel

Le Pavillon Hotel
Ranked #83 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 3, 2007

I have stayed at Le Pavillon Hotel several times this year, and each visit have been better than the last. The bellmen remember me, as does the concierge and other hotel staff. They treat me like I am family. It is a wonderful hotel, with fantastic New Orleans charm and the very best service. Also this is a perfect location. Frankly the quarter is full of thugs after about 10:30 at night, so I do stay in quarter hotels again, it is just not safe, but Le Pavillon is on Poydras and not in the quarter, and a MUCH better hotel than most of the quarter hotels anyway (although, I would still stay at Royal Sonesta, it is fantastic). Le Pavillon is first call for me now, and will be for some time to come.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank texascrawfish
Write a ReviewReviews (2,938)

Reviewed January 2, 2007

A completely-independent property like this can only survive on strong word of mouth, and after staying four nights here, I can see why this one consistently earns such allocates from TripAdvisor reviewers. I had high expectations after reading the TA reviews, and the hotel did not disappoint. La Pavillon offers old-timey essence-of-hospitality service and an irreplaceable Grande Dame decor, with suprisingly-modern amenities, like free Wi-Fi (and wired) Internet and dual-line, direct-inward-dial room phones. Hands-down a Best Buy. The superb concierges have outstanding knowlege, recommendations, and character: when my girlfriend left thousands of dollars of jewelry on the nightstand while we rushed to a swamp tour, the Chief Concierge offered personally to retrieve it and lock it in the hotel safe, genuinely-happy to have saved us hours of worry. Our four days zipped by as we explored tours and trips, the best of which were the ones recommended by the Concierges: our guide on the Cajun Honey Island swamp tour was outstanding, as was the small boat he used; our walking-tour guide in the Garden District and cemetary was the best I have ever experienced, the jazz club the concierge recommended on Frenchman's Street was first-rate. These were truly the most knowledgeable and thoughtful concierges I have had the pleasure of dealing with at any hotel anywhere, ever. They weren't trip-sellers; they were educated, articulate people who knew and loved their city and knew exactly how to help you experience it.

Only a hotel that has been there for one hundred years could so consistently do everything right, including doing all sorts of little things to let you know how much they appreciate your business. When a bulb burned out in the bathroom, maintenance was there literally in five minutes. Room service was quick and delicious, a cut above what you'd find at a chain hotel. Every staff member we encountered was warm, willing, and acted like it was his or her privilege to help us, offering zillions of little kindnesses during our trip. Maid service was quick and flawless, and the extensive, quality selection of toiletries and such harkened back to when hotels really wanted you to have and use this stuff, and bring it home to spread their name. The PB&J tradition is inspired, and is a nice opportunity to share raves about this gem with other guests. Cabs are readily-available, but the location makes walking to the Riverwalk, the Aquarium, the Quarter and the CBD all very easy.

I should say that the hotel does not offer stuffy, oh-so-refined-but-just-a-little-condescending service like some high-end chains. Rather, it offers genuinely-competent, genuinely-caring, genuinely-friendly service that is there the moment you seek it and sometimes even before you think to ask for it. There is no question that we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TravellingLawyerNYC
Reviewed December 28, 2006

Family of 4 , were upgraded to a deluxe room w/ 2 queen beds. Excellent staff assistance and location convenient to all FQ and Midtown activities. Take your kids on the free ferry to Algiers for Mardi Gras World!

Staying between Christmas and New Years brings the benefit of Holiday events and decor. Lobby is spectacular, the PB&J and cocoa are legendary, and the room rates a bargain at such a fabulous historic property. Parking is $28 a day, so factor that into your daily stay. Wonderful first NOLA visit for our kids, a definite consideration for future adult stays.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank nomuggles
Reviewed December 15, 2006

Have been planning a trip to New Orleans since before Katrina and wanted to do our part in helping rebuild. Le Pavillon is part of the Preferred Hotel Group. We have stayed at a number of these properties and have never been dissapointed. Since we knew nothing of New Orleans we booked here and were delighted with our choice. The staff is one of the friendliest we have ever encounted at any hotel. This property is smaller than some of the larger hotels on Poydras and consequently they give you a more personalized experiece. It was a pleasant stroll to the French Quarter, Superdome, Casino or Convention Center. We walked everywhere. The restaurant is as good as some of the overpriced tourist traps in the French Quarter and Pat the chef does an outstanding breakfast. Charles our waiter was the quintessential N'Orleans southern gentlemen.

4  Thank dbb1845
Reviewed December 7, 2006

This is the hotel I frequent whenever I am in New Orleans and have stayed since the hurricane more than once. In February, they were short staffed but the staff that was there made up for the shortage. It is obvious that things were in short supply, the hotel's once luxurious breakfast which was an indulgence was a disappointment. Basket of breads was nothing like it used to be it looked as though the baker did not come in and they went to Costco and bought the goods.

The main issue was that the valet parking lot was full. WHAT? They wanted you to find a space on the street and then hike it back to the hotel. I was travelling with a person who cannot walk distances and arrived at night. I declined this offer and forced them to find a space in the lot. They finally did and told me that if anything happened to the car then that was my issue.

However, I believe in this hotel usually it is a steal at the price and the accommodations are stunning. I am sure that things kinks have been worked out and I would recommend without hesitation.

Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank fmjmemphis
Reviewed November 23, 2006

This was a charming hotel with a fantastic staff, and we would probably stay here again. However, there were a few things we did not like. Here's a breakdown of the good and the bad.

The Good:
- Extremely welcoming, friendly, and helpful staff. This could be the best part - we were delighted with the service all around.
- Old, elegant hotel with loads of character.
- Nice location within walking distance of French Quarter.
- The wonderful 10pm PB&J sandwiches.

The Bad:
- The breakfast buffet was awful. The food was subpar, and honestly, I'm not that picky. My fiance ordered an omelet that he literally couldn't eat. It arrived with cold, unmelted cheese on top. What really got me was that the buffet plates were all dirty - ICK!
- Certain things are in need of an upgrade. The rugs are dingy, as are the bedspreads (and ours had stains on it). Some of the chairs in the Crystal Room had mounds of dust underneath them. The hotel in general simply needs the cobwebs blown off, figuratively speaking.
- This was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen (see pictures). However, I'm assuming we got one of the smaller rooms, being that we booked off Hotwire.

Despite the shortcomings, we enjoyed our stay. I would recommend this hotel because of the friendly staff first and foremost - in my opinion, they made up for the hiccups. With the abundance of good food in the city, there's no reason to eat there anyhow...but it's a shame they couldn't produce better food. We honestly were surprised.

I just noticed on their website they'll beat any price you find online. I wish we knew this beforehand and booked through them, I bet we would've gotten a nicer room!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sparklehorse78
Reviewed November 12, 2006

we stayed at Le Pavilion for 3 nights Veteran's Day weekend and could not have been happier.
The staff was helpful, the room clean and housekeeping lightning quick.
The breakfast buffet was great, too.
The location was close enough to walk to the FQ without the noise of the FQ.
Overall, excellent and BEAUTIFUL place to stay!!

2  Thank trip46