“Beautiful and historic”
Review of Le Pavillon Hotel

Le Pavillon Hotel
Ranked #83 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Very helpful bellman (Dave) with ok front desk staff. Wonderful tradition of the PB&J sandwiches in the evening! Room and hotel furnishings are first class. Decent location between French Quarter and art galleries.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,935)

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were in New Orleans at a nearby conference hotel and extended our stay through the weekend by moving to the Le Pavillion. A colleague did so as well.

We pulled up in our car and were greeted by the bellhop who provided very polite and friendly assistance.

The lobby is a very grand and welcing space. Check in was a bit of a pain as staff were being trained, but they staff were polite.

After checking in and going to our room, we joined our colleague in the bar for cocktails. The bar area seemed a little worn and grungy. The bartender was pleasant and provided efficient service. Since I was in an old hotel in New Orleans, I ordered a Sazerac. It was just right.

There is a tradition at this hotel of making PB&J sandwiches for guests late in the evening. That seemed nice enough, although I never have cared for PB&J.

Apparently some of the hotel rooms had been recently remodeled and were pretty nice. Our colleague got one of those rooms. My wife and I did not.

The room was cramped, but that's not unusual for New Orleans. The condition and lack of cleanliness was huge disappointment though - especially for such a grand and pricey hotel. It reminded me of some independent "one notch above scuzzy" motor courts I've stayed in while motorcycling around the country.

The bathroom was especially disgusting. It was moldy, generally dirty with greasy hand prints on the door frame, the hair dryer appeared to be a shock hazard, the sink was separating from the back splash, hair and dust adorned the light switch, and water damage decorated the trim.

The grimey bathtub was a particular treat. It would be genrous to describe its size as cozy. When either of
us turned the little dial to start the water running and adjust the water temperature, it abruptly fell of the wall and into the bottom of the tub with a startling BANG!

I have some photos of the bathroom and intend to post them.

Puzzlingly, the bathroom included a menu for a variety of "drawn bath" services. The idea of actually paying scores of dollars for someone to prepare a bath for you in this thimble of a tub was absurd.

Then again, maybe you could negotiate with them to operate the sketchy blow dryer for you instead!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank bluetick3
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed in. My friend and I got this cheaply off of hotwire, but if you can afford full price, I would still say that this place is worth it. It's decorated in a beautiful, slightly creepy way that makes you feel like you're staying somewhere haunted (there are actual rumors that this is true) which is perfect if you're visiting New Orleans with any interest in history. The rooms are great-- beds are insanely comfortable, and there is a nice ceiling fan. We got one of the rooms with a "view," and it wasn't much of a view... just a street. The staff is amazing-- completely accommodating and kind and helpful. They went out of their way to make us happy, even mailed packages for me, and found me an in-room doctor when I was sick and the urgent care clinic nearby was closed. We ordered room service several times and ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The food is excellent, most activities are within walking distance, and the pool/hot tub area is gorgeous. The view from up there is also pretty amazing. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The "with a view" option was somewhat meaningless to us-- we had a view of the side of a h...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and i spent the last two nights of our vacation at Le Pavillon (after checking out of a B&B), and we were blown away by how swanky and beautiful this hotel is, even just driving up to it! Very courteous and helpful valets and doormen were quick to help us with our bags, and hold the doors open for us to enter into the lobby - which was stunningly beautiful.

The concierge and front desk staff were very welcoming and courteous, and once we got to our room, we were again blown away by how beautiful it was! We had booked a room with one bed but, much to my delight, our room had two! (Both beds were extremely comfortable, which is especially important to me, as I have back problems...)

The room also had a table with two chairs (this set up can be seen in some of the photos here) right in front of the windows, and a luxe bathroom. I've read other reviews which have complained that the bathrooms were tiny, but that must be a relative thing, or perhaps some rooms have larger bathrooms than others, because I found ours to be perfect, even if there wasn't a ton of counter space. In fact, as hotels go, I thought our bathroom was roomy - and I'm a big person! (5'11" and "full figured"...)

My husband enjoyed a relaxing bath in a very nice tub/shower combo, which afforded plenty of room to mover around for a truly wonderful, refreshing shower (or bath). There's just really nothing I can complain about when it comes to this hotel, and we will *definitely* be staying at Le Pavillon on all subsequent vacations to New Orleans.

As we walked around the French Quarter and I saw the locations of some of the other hotels I had considered before finally deciding on and booking Le Pavillon, I was so grateful I had chosen the latter! It's amazingly close to the heart of the French Quarter; an easy, EASY walk - 10 minutes, maybe, and in the business district, so no walking down dodgy, dark alleys! Or, choose to take a cable car (trolley) - there is a stop just one block over! (Cost is $1.25 one way; transfers are $.25 extra, and will get you two additional rides, or one ride, within two hours. They take CASH - exact fare!)

And at the end of an eventful day and meals richly spiced, we enjoyed the wonderful peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (pre-made, or you can make your own!), with milk, hot cocoa or coffee! (There was also a huge bowl of fresh, whole red and green apples!) What a lovely "dessert," or light dinner, if you simply can't take any more fried fish or gumbo! It's a nice touch of something familiar.

We also had the breakfast buffet one morning, and really enjoyed it. Le Pavillon also offers wonderful dinner buffet specials; the night we checked in, it was Creole Shrimp, and we were so disappointed to be checking out on Sunday, when Pot Roast was to be the special!

Really, this hotel is exquisite, the people in it are more than accommodating, it's a great value for the money, the location is fantastic - even with the ridiculous parking fee (which is the standard price for overnight parking AND includes "in/out privileges" - you pay one fee to park, which covers the entire evening, rather than having to pay each time you access the parking facility), which equals out to $39.00/night BUT also includes valet, so your car isn't left unattended during the night.

I can't say enough about how wonderful our stay was, or how much we enjoyed being in such a beautiful hotel. We felt like rock stars, or wealthy tycoons - very high class!

Don't miss the beautiful, roof-top swimming pool, either! The view at night is really lovely!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristen B
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Excellent hotel. The reception area is beautiful and impressive. The staff at reception is very friend and helpful. Room was clean at arrival. Only problem with the room was the tiny bathroom - no room to put anything in there (like a wash bag). Wide corridors, very old fashioned looking in a way that makes it authentic and beautiful. I loved the fitness centre. The pool area is clean and tidy. The peanut butter and jam sandwiches in the evening are a very curious tradition. Just a few minutes walk to the French Quarter. We enjoyed every moment at this hotel and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hvrijssa
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have nothing but excellent things to say about this hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant (with the exception of one concierge, but I am chalking that up to a bad day/miscommunication). I was in town on business with a companion and we both enjoyed our stay immensely. I expect we will visit again soon. The location was great for me (approx. 0.8 miles to the convention center and only a few blocks from the French Quarter. We literally walked everywhere we visited that week. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to enjoy the authenticity NOLA has to offer, while still having all the modern conveniences - not to mention the genuine charm of a true Southern city.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JLHendrick
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hospitality! We even were given a free upgrade to a jr suite! Great location and Amazing staff! Would go back for sure! Our stay was just for one night, while we didnt get to take advantage
Of the Roof top pool, we loved the decor!

• Stayed: June 2013