“We will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Port Moody, Canada
“We will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

All the staff went out of their way to be very helpful ( thanks Lou ). The bed was so inviting that it was hard to leave it. It was close to everything we wanted to do. Will stay there again in a heartbeat. The PB&J was a nice touch....and the fruit was just what we needed after a wonderful day of sight seeing.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

staff was very friendly and helpful. Charming rooms and good room service. Would highly recommend staying here. Restuarant manager goes over and beyond the call of duty. Would open bar for me to get a drink even if it was closed at the time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent 4 nights at Le Pavillon Hotel, just before Hallowe'en.
The hotel is magnificent, from the time, Cedrick, the door man, greeted us, to the time he said goodbye and invited us back.

The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with hot chocolate and cold milk in the lobby at 10pm each night, a real treat. It's too bad other hotels don't adopt the tradition, nut I guess that's what makes Le Pavillon a real jewel.

My only regret is not "meeting" the hotel's ghost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeterB_and_J
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at Le Pavillon with a group of friends for a long weekend. The lobby and interior of the hotel was luxurious and takes you back in time. The rooms were well nicely furnished and I was fine with the hotel being old and not fully modernized. From check in to the room service and doormen, the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, I guess what you'd expect in New Orleans. The location was set in a quiter area, though it's a nearly 10 minute walk to Canal and beyond to Bourbon St., which was fine with me. The rooftop pool is relatively small, so if you're into doing laps, only 2 swimmers could fit at once, and I think it's only 10-12m long. It was clean and sufficiently heated to enjoy a refreshing morning swim. The hot tub was fine except I found a small ring of grime on the tiles, maybe someone should clean it more frequently. I did not try the restaurant but ordered room service a few times. As stated the service was great but it turned out that it was a bit more expensive when we checked out than anticipated. Yes the peanut butter & jelly sandwiches were tasty, but I think it's not a reason to stay here. On the 2nd day, I noticed I didn't have warm water while taking a shower, so I waited for 30 min and I finally had it. A person taking a shower after me mentioned they were running out of warm water towards the end, so hopefully this was a temporary issue. Still, those were minor issues and did not detract from the great time I had on my visit to New Orleans. I recommend this hotel, especially if you can find a nice deal, but I'd also consider other places, if I wanted something closer to Bourbon St/ French Qtr or preferred a more modern spot.

1 Thank NycAlex_k
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a weekend in October. I love visiting New Orleans in the fall, not extremely crowed and the weather was perfect! This was our first time staying here and we loved it! It is a little on the pricy side but it's gorgeous and we loved the location! The room is decorated in an older fashion which we liked, has more of a bed and breakfast feel not hotel. The lobby is beautiful and welcoming! We would stay here again. They also have parking on site which is $35 a day with 24 secutiy. Loation was great! Walking distance to Bourbon, Jackson square, and superdome is right down the street. We love NOLA!!

• Stayed October 2012
Centerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was so impressed by the French decor of the hotel and the lovely bedroom furniture in my room, that I bought identical furniture to decorate my Master bedroom. Now, everytime I enter my bedroom I am immediately transported back to Le Pavillon and my favorite city. Also, the madre' d was awsome in fitting us in on the Mother's Day dining experiance when we did not have reservations since we had just returned from a cruise that day. Service was impeccable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beverly O
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Hotel Lobby and Dining Room are truly impressive and a marvel to behold. As you step inside the main doors, you are instantly transported to a style of lush and ornate, old-world beauty and grandeur . The massive chandeliers, the extremely high ceilings, the enormous, beautfiul portraits and giant marble columns all add to a sense of elegance and splendor, rarely seen in more modern hotels. I literally mumbled the word "wow" as I walked into the lobby. It's really quite awe-inspiring.

The service, on the other hand, was variable and inconsistent at best. Some of the staff are extremely friendly, courteous, helpful, and polite...others need to brush up a bit on their people skills. What's the point of having a refined and elegantly dressed doorman at the front door, if, half the time, he won't open the door for you?? (Even when I was carrying bags and clearly having a difficult time - I had to shoulder shove the door open myself one time. The doorman just stood there and watched. Maybe it's because I didn't tip the guy?? I don't know. I probably would have tipped him if he'd just gotten the door for me, but it's kind of hard to reach for your wallet when you have your hands full of luggage and are struggling with a large, heavy door.)

Also, unfortunately, the floor I stayed on...the 4th floor...was inhabited by some rather rude individuals. The floor layout, which is a long hallway (with some fiendishly creepy portraits hung on the walls), is also quite conducive to allowing a lot of exterior noise into the individual rooms.

My neighbors were a loud and obnoxious bunch, and would hang out in the hallway slamming the doors to their rooms repeatedly and talking and yelling loudly to eachother. This was quite unpleasant at 2:00 in the morning when I was trying to get to sleep for a tour early the next morning. My room door had a large gap underneath which also let in a lot of noise. I didn't complain to the front desk since it was "Mardi Gras" time, and, I suppose, the rowdiness comes with the territory. I was just a little surprised that such a nice, beautiful hotel had this class of rude and thoughtless guests staying in it.

The rooms themselves are also on the smallish side. I stayed in a regular room (not a suite) with two queen beds and the storage space for clothing/luggage was definitely lacking. Otherwise, the rooms are fine - nothing special really.

My other gripe is that, the day before check-out, the hotel provided a bill/invoice for additional charges. It had been made clear to me that the parking was $35.00 a day, and I didn't mind paying that since it was convenient, and I'd been made aware of it before I booked my stay. However, there was also a $10.00 a night "Room Upgrade" Fee attached to the bill.

I couldn't understand what the heck that was since I'd booked the room through Orbitz and I'd paid full price at the time of booking (it was over $300.00 a night for the room already). I certainly hadn't requested any type of room upgrade when I booked the room. The morning I checked out, I went to the front desk to ask about this extra charge that came to a total of $100.00 for my five night stay.

The lady at the front desk insisted that I had requested a room upgrade --- I had done no such thing. I explained that I'd booked the trip through Orbitz and had already paid full price for the room. She did, in fact, refund this fee, but she acted like she was doing ME a favor. That was really annoying since there is no reason that that fee should ever have been charged in the first place! I just walked out without arguing, glad to get my refund, but bitter at the feeling that the hotel was attempting to "nickle and dime" me to death.

Overall, I must repeat that it's an amazingly beautiful hotel. If I'm ever in New Orleans again, I'll certainly visit just to see that incredible lobby and dining room once again. However, the somewhat inconsistent service and the fact that exterior noise can be heard, quite easily, from inside the guestrooms makes me question whether I'd actually pay to stay at the "Le Pavillon" again. Also, it's supposed to be quite haunted, and although it's certainly somewhat creepy in a "haunted mansion" type way - I didn't experience anything approaching any type of paranormal activity. That's a real shame, as it would have been worth the price of admission.