“Stayed During Mardi Gras”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Pavillon Hotel

Le Pavillon Hotel
Ranked #86 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Miami, Florida
“Stayed During Mardi Gras”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Hotel Lobby and Dining Room are truly impressive and a marvel to behold. As you step inside the main doors, you are instantly transported to a style of lush and ornate, old-world beauty and grandeur . The massive chandeliers, the extremely high ceilings, the enormous, beautfiul portraits and giant marble columns all add to a sense of elegance and splendor, rarely seen in more modern hotels. I literally mumbled the word "wow" as I walked into the lobby. It's really quite awe-inspiring.

The service, on the other hand, was variable and inconsistent at best. Some of the staff are extremely friendly, courteous, helpful, and polite...others need to brush up a bit on their people skills. What's the point of having a refined and elegantly dressed doorman at the front door, if, half the time, he won't open the door for you?? (Even when I was carrying bags and clearly having a difficult time - I had to shoulder shove the door open myself one time. The doorman just stood there and watched. Maybe it's because I didn't tip the guy?? I don't know. I probably would have tipped him if he'd just gotten the door for me, but it's kind of hard to reach for your wallet when you have your hands full of luggage and are struggling with a large, heavy door.)

Also, unfortunately, the floor I stayed on...the 4th floor...was inhabited by some rather rude individuals. The floor layout, which is a long hallway (with some fiendishly creepy portraits hung on the walls), is also quite conducive to allowing a lot of exterior noise into the individual rooms.

My neighbors were a loud and obnoxious bunch, and would hang out in the hallway slamming the doors to their rooms repeatedly and talking and yelling loudly to eachother. This was quite unpleasant at 2:00 in the morning when I was trying to get to sleep for a tour early the next morning. My room door had a large gap underneath which also let in a lot of noise. I didn't complain to the front desk since it was "Mardi Gras" time, and, I suppose, the rowdiness comes with the territory. I was just a little surprised that such a nice, beautiful hotel had this class of rude and thoughtless guests staying in it.

The rooms themselves are also on the smallish side. I stayed in a regular room (not a suite) with two queen beds and the storage space for clothing/luggage was definitely lacking. Otherwise, the rooms are fine - nothing special really.

My other gripe is that, the day before check-out, the hotel provided a bill/invoice for additional charges. It had been made clear to me that the parking was $35.00 a day, and I didn't mind paying that since it was convenient, and I'd been made aware of it before I booked my stay. However, there was also a $10.00 a night "Room Upgrade" Fee attached to the bill.

I couldn't understand what the heck that was since I'd booked the room through Orbitz and I'd paid full price at the time of booking (it was over $300.00 a night for the room already). I certainly hadn't requested any type of room upgrade when I booked the room. The morning I checked out, I went to the front desk to ask about this extra charge that came to a total of $100.00 for my five night stay.

The lady at the front desk insisted that I had requested a room upgrade --- I had done no such thing. I explained that I'd booked the trip through Orbitz and had already paid full price for the room. She did, in fact, refund this fee, but she acted like she was doing ME a favor. That was really annoying since there is no reason that that fee should ever have been charged in the first place! I just walked out without arguing, glad to get my refund, but bitter at the feeling that the hotel was attempting to "nickle and dime" me to death.

Overall, I must repeat that it's an amazingly beautiful hotel. If I'm ever in New Orleans again, I'll certainly visit just to see that incredible lobby and dining room once again. However, the somewhat inconsistent service and the fact that exterior noise can be heard, quite easily, from inside the guestrooms makes me question whether I'd actually pay to stay at the "Le Pavillon" again. Also, it's supposed to be quite haunted, and although it's certainly somewhat creepy in a "haunted mansion" type way - I didn't experience anything approaching any type of paranormal activity. That's a real shame, as it would have been worth the price of admission.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

When you find yourself in most cities, there is a lot to be said for standardized, big box hotels. Every room will be the same in Kansas City as it is in Seattle as it is in Providence (nothing against any of those cities, believe me), and you may have to think for a moment when you wake up to remember where you are. When you stay at Le Pavillon, though, you know where you are every minute. The atmosphere of New Orleans pervades Le Pavillon.

If that were not enough (and I confess, for me, it is), they have also mastered the technical part of running a hotel: no reservation problems, no billing problems, no housekeeping problems. And what is there is just as it should be: no snooty concierge, no invisible bell staff and no unhelpful front desk. Everything works. The staff seems to understand in detail when to be helpful. On my last trip, I was getting over a cold and had just come off a long flight. I explained that to one of the bellmen who noticed that I sounded congested. Ten minutes after I got into my room, the bellman knocked on the door. He had brought me a carafe of boiling water and a couple small jars of honey, for the congestion. Where does that happen? I just love Le Pavillon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Charles L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very rich in history and to be 107 years old it was beautiful from to top to bottom. Customer service from Antoine was above and beyond expectations.Staff very friendly,courteous and helpful. Will be back and highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed February 2013
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lovely hotel, friendly staff, wonderful room with wonderful bed, one of the best if not the best hotel I've ever been...
Loved the idea of the complementary snack everynight at 10:00pm.
Nice breakfast and dinner, not pricey at all!

If we ever return no NO, the place to go will be Le Pavillon!

1 Thank Frederico M
Sioux Center, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Le Pavillon in Jan. 2013. The hotel is just a few blocks from the French Quarters as well as other attractions. We enjoyed staying outside the Quarter as it was a nice quiet area. The hotel is just beautiful! The staff was so friendly and helpful. The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a bedtime snack were a real treat! We would definatley recommend staying here.

2 Thank Kathy K
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

This beautiful, historic hotel is a few blocks away from the French Quarter and within walking distance if you are in shape. We purchased 4 nights at $99 each through Groupon. What a deal! The rooms were beautiful, although there were not a lot of surfaces or drawers to put things. Room safes are provided. The pool and jacuzzi are on the roof, but I never used them. There is a nicely equipped fitness center. Free coffee in the lobby each morning. The dinner specials in the restaurant are very affordable (approx. $18). The most unique thing? PB&J sandwiches along with milk or hot chocolate served at 10 PM every night in a beautiful "help yourself" presentation. Prior to our arrival the hotel sent a questionnaire asking preferences, special celebrations, etc. They did not disappoint. We got a room on the top floor as requested. On our first night they delivered a bottle of champagne and decorated cake for my husband's birthday. Wow!

Room Tip: Complete your survey when they email it to you. Our room was 912 - huge. Our friend had 903 - much...