“Grand Old Dame”

Ranked #87 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Brisbane, Australia
“Grand Old Dame”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great location only 4 blocks from the French Quarter in a charming, historic hotel. Friendly, helpful staff (who forgave us when we forgot our keys on a few occasions - bound to happen when you frequent Bourbon St!). Am surprised at the bad reviews especially about the rooms as ours was clean, spacious and had a wonderful old time feel. The slight marks on the furniture and in the bathroom that someone pointed out only add to the feel that you are staying somewhere that has been well loved over many years. I thought we could have been looked after a bit more in regards to price when we had to book another night unexpectedly (it was more expensive than what we had been paying & we were moved to another room which was not nearly as nice) but it was at the last minute. Only a small gripe though as the overall experience was great.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rhi_Woodbridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Korean first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Accomendations were suburd, service was outstanding! Food was fresh and pricey, but you had plenty of food and service was excellent! I work very hard and play very hard! Be sure I will play at this hotel again! No complaints at all for a busy Essence Festival weekend!

Room Tip: Away from elevators and high floors
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I recently stayed at Le Pavillion after getting a really good deal on Hotwire. The hotel is conveniently located between the Superdome and the Riverwalk/Convention center, both are a short and easy walk. Check-in was fast and friendly. As with any 4+ star hotel, we were greet by several bellman upon arrival, ready and willing to take our bags and assist us with getting through check-out and into our room. On the walk to the room, the bellman pointed out highlights on the hotel and made suggestions on things to do while in the area. The hotel does have some very nice and interesting paintings. The rooftop pool is not as impressive as it is in the photos but it is nice enough. The hotel room was clean and roomy. The bathroom was also very clean. For a hotel that is over 100 years old, you can enjoy modern luxuries while the decor takes you back in time. The hotel staff was extremely friendly during out stay. I thought the late night, complimentary peanut butter and jelly buffet was a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank InfiniteDiva
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel is amazing, great service, fantastic stuff, it is walking distance from almost all things to do in New Orleans... I really recommend :)

• Stayed May 2012
Lancs
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were made extremely welcome on our recent stay at Les Pavilons.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant.
The food was fabulous, try the bread pudding!
We chose this hotel due to the historic value, we were not disappointed.
New Orleans is a fabulous destination.
It was expensive, but worth it. The rooms are comfy, bathrooms a little old fashoined for our taste.
Although the rest of the hotel made up for that. We loved Miss Patty Cakes!

• Stayed June 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here in early June for four nights. When I first arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the doorman who took my bag, gave it to the bellhop, and brought me to the check-in desk. Even though it was only 10AM and check-in isn't until 3PM, I was promptly shown to my room without hesitation. The best aspect of the hotel is its customer service. Maybe it's being in the South or I'm always surrounded by rude New Yorkers, but everyone was friendly without an attitude.

The lobby is spectacular. It is old school over the top European elegance with glass chandeliers and colorful couches adorned with tasseled pillows. Usually, I hate this decor, but it works here and I feel like I'm transported to a different world. The rooms are decorated in the same fashion.

I booked a standard queen. it is a bit on the small size. I've been in Holiday Inn rooms that were bigger. There was a TV that didn't have the clearest picture quality, a decent sized closest with a safe, a desk, and a sitting area. There really wasn't much space to stretch out. The bathroom was small. There was a small tub good enough for showering but not big enough if you wanted a bubble bath. The major gripe I had with the room was that it always felt...moist? I mean I know it's the NOLA humidity, but turning up the A/C left me freezing. And I couldn't open the windows either to get in a breeze. The hallway was always freezing. I was always running from the elevator back to the room.

The view from the rooftop wasn't spectacular. Mostly, I just saw office buildings. It's a nice place to chill after a long day out. When I was hanging out by the pool though, I saw the largest cockroaches. Maybe they smelled a PB&J sandwich but they crawled onto the table next to me freaking me out.

The PB&J snacks are a nice touch, but they weren't amazing. They were regular sandwiches. There was a choice of breads (white, wheat, raisin), peanut butter (crunchy, smooth), and jam (grape, cherry, apricot). Plus there were a few pieces of fruit as well as a station with hot chocolate, marshmallows, and cold milk.

The location is pretty good. It's pretty quiet, but only a 10 minute walk away from the edge of the French Quarter. The St. Charles Streetcar is only 2 blocks away. (I was looking for a streetcar named desire but all I could find was a bus to Elysian Fields.) There's not much in the area except for other hotels. I would consider staying here again if I got a good price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank leeinnyc84
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Wonderful! Everyone was so friendly and helpful! We travel to New Orleans every other year for vacation and will definitely be staying at this hotel from now on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple