“This is a hard one...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #80 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Miami, Florida
“This is a hard one...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

I had seen the mixed reviews, but I was hopeful. It was my Husband's first time in NOLA and I wanted him to grasp the essence of NOLA. I thought this Hotel would be perfect…historic, classic, old world charm…. I was disappointed. While the lobby is very beautiful and the door man in top hat and tails sets the tone when you first enter the Hotel, it is all downhill from there. There was a lack of cleanliness throughout. The shower had mold build up in between the tiles. The hot tub had a ring of dirt around the ledge. The towels in our room smelled musty.

The room size was good. The décor of the room looks more outdated than classy. The mattress was very uncomfortable, seemed old and the mattress sheet would slip off all night. Quality of the toiletries was mediocre.

Service was subpar. We were left without towels for an entire day, staff answered general questions but it seemed you had to pull the information from them. Like a previous poster described, not sure what role the doorman plays other than for show. During our 4 day stay, he opened the door on our arrival and that was it – not that we want someone to open the door for us anyway but he would watch us approach and turn the other way – go figure. We made it back to the PB & J snack bar once – it was ok. We did not try the restaurant.

Location was ok. It’s about a five minute walk to canal and a 30 minute walk to Café du Mond. We walked from the French Quarter back to the Hotel every night and we felt pretty safe. Street car is two blocks away. However, with all of the Hotels to choose from, I would definitely pick one closer to the French Quarter.

This Hotel was not worth the price we paid. Maybe if it would have been lees in price, we are expectation would have been lower.

Definitely have breakfast at Mother’s and try the Restaurant Luke nearby – Great Food!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank toohip2cool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Very cool looking hotel with some great amenities. Great rooftop and nice complimentary late night snacks. But...for the price....the quality of customer service is not up to par (rude night desk staff/ carried all of my own luggage inside)
The rooms are nice but I couldn't help being reminded of a 19th century brothel....but in their defense - I understand they were going for French influence.
Really, if you stay here, I am sure you will enjoy it but my advice is...there are so many other NOLA places to choose from that far exceed the "reputation" Le Pavillon apparently has.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank destinationxtrme
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at and have travelled around the world. The main lobby is beutiful as well as the dining room. We ate at the restaurant one night and they always have a special of the night for $18 which included salad and bread pudding. The food was great including the breakfast buffet. My son said his omelet was the best he had ever had. The pool on the roof was a bit windy while we were there but the water nice and warm and a hot tub as well. We made sure we had a room on a higher floor and its a good thing we did as the outside windows were older and unsound proof so may be an issue with traffic on the lower floors. The doors to the hallway were also unsound proof but we were away from the elevators so no issues. It was a big hit with the kids having hot chocolate included with peanut butter and jam sandwiches at night from 10-11, would have been a bit better to have it start at 9:00 though. The amazing thing about the hotel is the service, everyone is so friendly and helpful and not uptight. This is what made the stay. My niece who was 7 told the front desk there was no more chocolate milk at the peanut butter buffet and within 2 minutes came out with more, now thats service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Hubs had always wanted to come Back to Le Pavillion... so this quick 3 Day New Orleans Weekend was the opportunity. I found a SUPER rate via Tripadvisor.com... We arrived 3pm on Saturday and checked right in... stayed in Room 705.
Positives: A Beautiful Room in a Luxury Hotel... with amenities I do not normally experience. Wet bar can't be touched unless you plan to pay. But the decor is absolutely fabulous. The Bathroom was resplendant with Bath Wash, Shampoo and Lotion (no hair conditioner). Soap was top notch. A closed door closet provided 2 Robes and an Umbrella (if needed). Plus safe. There is no refrigerator or microwave. There is no coffee maker in the room. The "Greatest Hotels of the World" book was provided to peruse. Bedding was adequate and our (hubby's) only source of complaint. We enjoyed breakfast at the Breakfast buffet... that was our most wonderful meal of our whole visit ! (Which included Emerils and Palace Cafe)... The Breakfast cafe included ($39 each) CarvingStation, Omelet Station, Fresh lump crab meat, smoked salmon, eggs benedict, fresh steel ground grits, and much more... we WILL Be back for this.
I would suggest to the hotel... that they provide a Housekeeping Management that checks all things including seating in the tub to see if cleaning is needed in the bathroom...
Overall we LOVED this hotel and certainly would plan to return...... The Peanut Butter and Jelly is served 10p-11p and we loved it.... The ambience is wonderful. Pam in the Bar served us Gumbo and soup when we first arrived and was a SUPER hostess. We just loved this hotel... and plan to be back......

New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I am floored by people who actually think this is a nice hotel! Have they ever stayed in an actual 4.5 star hotel?? To be fair the lobby and hotel bar are beautiful. I've been to a few weddings in the crystal room and it too is beautiful. HOWEVER, When I pay to stay at a hotel I'm not sleeping in Lobby. So if the lobby is beautiful it doesn't do me any good. What I care about is the condition of the hotel rooms.

First, with exception to the lobby, the ENTIRE hotel smells like the inside of the USS Kidd -musky, damp, old, moldy.. and it gets into your mouth and.. ew, just ew. I'm sorry but if the 200 year old mansions in the city can somehow manage to not have that smell, claiming the hotel is "old" is not an excuse. There is this thing called renovation...

Second, many items did not work. We were first placed in a room where the toilet and AC did not work. After fighting with the front desk we were finally moved. (seriously!? at a 4.5 star hotel you have to fight with the front desk staff to get moved when your toilet doesn't flush and the AC is out in NEW ORLEANS!?)... The next room they put us in.. the toilet and AC worked, but the bathroom sink water came out at a speed slightly faster than a drip, 4 power outlets did not work, 3 lights did not work, and the tv didn't turn on.. When we called about this, the front desk said "it's an old hotel things aren't always going to work!" REALLY???

So we stayed in that room.. b/c we were tired and not interested in fighting with people who were clearly illogical. The linens were absolutely disgusting. They were dingy, sticky, dusty, and grimy. I don't think they've been redone in at least 5-10 years. So I opted to sleep in a sweatshirt on top of the bed. At one point I tried to plug my charger into the outlet behind the bed, and I discovered mold and dust all over the back of the mattress and bed frame.. so gross.

The bathroom was disgusting as well.. mold everywhere and the molding around the door was black and cracked, probably hadn't been painted in 5 or so years. Did I mention that everyone we were with who had booked here woke up the next morning with severe allergy problems (most of these people don't have allergies).. I blame that on the dust and mold...

This isn't an issue of wanting a "modern" hotel, this is an issue of expecting a "4.5 star" hotel to look like every other 4.5 star -clean, well kept, etc. The Roosevelt kept the old world charm while creating a clean and well kept hotel. There is simply no excuse for this hotel to still be claiming it is a 4.5 star and to be charging the prices they do. Because of the condition in which this hotel is in, it should be classified a "2 star".

The rooftop deck is fabulous like the lobbyl, I can see how weddings and other events are beautiful there, but again, I'm not sleeping on the deck.

Horrible experience, absolutely disgusting hotel rooms.. save your money and book elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank Whitwee319
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

We went to Mardi Gras 2011 and spent the majority of our stay in a rundown motel outside of the city center. Due to last minute planning and budget it was the best we could get. We decided to change our room on the last day and it was the best decision ever. Since most of the city had died down rates were back to a normal price range and we were able to quickly book a room at Le Pavilion. The bed and bedding were amazingly comfortable and the room service was perfect. During the trip I had become ill and the last place you want to be is stuck in a hotel. This hotel made me feel like a pampered princess! 5 stars

Room Tip: "Ask for a King room"