“My favorite hotel in New Orleans”

International House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #68 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
kentucky
“My favorite hotel in New Orleans”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

International house is my favorite place to stay in New Orleans! I lived in NO for several years and know the city very well. This hotel is an excellent location. You will be walking distance to the French Quarter but enough off the Bourbon Street path to avoid the noise. The hotel itself is very clean, ultra trendy and has great customer service. The bar is a lot of fun if you stop by for a drink. The rooms are smaller as noted in other reviews but keep in mind that is common for New Orleans. It depends on what type of experience you want to have. If you want to stay at a standard American hotel, go for it. If you want a New Orleans experience, I recommend this Hotel. I have stayed at The W as well and the IH is much nicer. The lighting isn't really an issue. I think people miss the dimer on the lights. Turn up the dimmer in the bathroom and the lighting is fine. Ask the front desk for ANYTHING and they will help you out. They have menus for local places that will deliver. I really can't say enough about the International House.
Laurel Fedders

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Arlington, TX
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I stayed at the International House for 4 nights while attending a conference in NOLA. I found the hotel based on reviews and was not disappointed despite having to have the sheets and pillow cases changed upon our arrival due to what appeared to be hair! The staff was responsive when directly asked questions, but otherwise pretty much invisible. The shower is the size of an elevator and very luxurious! The beds were comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The lobby is a great place to meet friends in the evening, very nice ambiance. We ate at the Rambla one night, the tapas and bottle of wine were delicious if a bit expensive. Pros: within walking distance to the quarter, shopping, convention center and other hotels, hotel is very quiet. Cons: no WIFI, no coffee maker in room, lighting is dim in the room. I loved the hotel compared to the other places my friends stayed and will definitely stay again. **Self Park in the Whitney garage next to La Quinta to save serious cash, only $10 a day.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank felizjourney
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I stayed for business.
The Pros- the lobby is beautiful, location is good, lobby bar is fun, shower was good.
The Cons- no coffee before 6 AM. The beds are very very firm. The rooms were nothing to write home about. The hallways very quiet, but the room was so noisy. I felt like the hotel's a/c unit was next to my room, and the toilet was cycling on and off, and the street noise was very loud.
It's classified as a 4 star, but there are so many great places to stay in New Orleans, I would put it at a 3, 3 1/2 star.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Susana G
New Orleans
Reviewed November 5, 2009

"Boutique" might not be the right way for International House Hotel in New Orleans to bill itself, as the word evokes trendy but aloof accomodations. The IHH, in contrast, is warm and inviting--both in lush atmosphere and welcoming service. Staffed by warm and hospitable employees, the IHH has rooms that are lovely and comfortable, and the cocktail lounge, Loa is a great place for drinks and beautiful-people watching. The meals I had at Rambla were excellent. The only glitch was that coffee wasn't available until 7 AM. Best thing yet about IHH is the location: just minutes to the French Quarter, but far enough away that I was able to sleep without disturbance.

Sunbury-on-Thames, England
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed 3 nights over a weekend. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the 'room' we had turned out to be a suite with a living room (with a huge flat screen TV), a large bedroom (with a slightly smaller flat screen) and a bathroom with a shower that was really a "wet room". The TV had a huge range of channels. There was also a DVD player and an MP3 player. Free internet access in the lobby. The staff was unbelievably helpful and friendly - nothing seemed too much trouble. The hotel is very close to the French Quarter, less than 10 minutes walk to Bourbon Street. There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel which looked very good, although we didn't get a chance to try them - there are plenty of alternatives in the Quarter!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the hotel October 23-25 for a school reunion. We were immediately impressed with the friendly helpful person who checked us in and offered to give us advice on restauarants, etc. if needed. The hotel is ideally located 2 blocks off Canal, so it is easily accesible to the French Quarter, Warehouse Disrict, and the streetcar line. The Loa bar is a great place to have a drink before heading out for the night. We did not eat at Rambla but I have read many good things about it. The room was nicely appointed and offered Aveda products and an iPod dock/radio. Our only issue was no coffee maker in the room and no coffee in the lobby. You could of course buy coffee in the restaurant and and several coffee shops are close by. There was also no safe which would have been a nice feature. I definitely recommend International House and we would stay again on our visits to New Orleans.

DanBNash

nashville
Reviewed October 27, 2009

The lobby was great and gave me high hopes for the room but I was very disappointed when I saw what it had to offer. The room was dark and dirty. There was no desk or mini bar and the tv was small and had a lot of static. I ordered room service for breakfast and for $40 for breakfast for one person you'd expect it to be good. It was not. To top it all of the bed was uncomfortable and I was afraid to touch the comforter because it was so dirty. I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business