“Nice hotel, would stay there again”

International House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed there this past weekend to attend a wedding. We really liked the hotel. The room we stayed in (9th floor) was large and well maintained. The hotel was located a short walk to Bourbon Street (but far enough away to be a quiet stay). The staff was very courteous, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed March 20, 2009

The ceiling hatch was opened by someone outside on the roof after we tried to tell the hotel that someone was banging on it and was trying to get in. They kept saying "no, no it is bolted shut". Well, they opened it and when I caught them they closed it. We could have been raped, robbed, murdered, etc. my husband just retired after 38 years as a cop and showed them his badge--they didn't care. I had just finished showering and dressing while my husband was at church when the hatch was opened. We booked seven weeks prior to our stay (for 4 nights) and upon check in we were told our room wasn't available because it was given to others the night before. Then we were given a reduced rate and put in room 1112 and told it was a queen with no window instead of a king. Also, the bed was actually harder than the floor--yes, I laid in the floor just to get some rest. The room should not be given to anyone with that hatch in the ceiling! We were so disappointed and will pay more and go to the Intercontinental or the Hilton next time. It is in a great location for Mardi Gras--just close enough to enjoy the parades and Bourbon St and enough to be quiet. We go to New Orleans for Christmas and to Mardi Gras and know the hotels but had never stayed at IHH since it was new. We were intrigued by the web site so don't fall for it. They over rate themselves. Spend your money at a safe hotel where they don't argue with you about a vandal prying open the ceiling hatch. We demanded to be moved and they did move us because people had checked out and they could now give us the king room we reserved. It was a nice room and I would have given an excellent review if our entire stay had been in this room. Upon check out the staff was wonderful in summoning a cab right to the door within minutes as promised the day before. Overall, we have never had such a terrible experience in the past nine years of staying in New Orleans. This first time staying at IHH will be our last because of this incident.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jakesmom414
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I booked the International House largely because I've had good luck with other hotels I've found through tablethotels.com. The hotel was fine, particularly given the rate I got on expedia ($117 per night all in - remember to google "expedia coupon" before you book!), but I definitely wouldn't pay much more than that in this economy. (There are deals everywhere, and you can stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel in New Orleans for under $150.)

There are some great things about the hotel that others have mentioned - the lobby, the bar, the location, the free internet in the lobby. Also, I found the front desk staff really friendly and helpful. When we told them our TV wasn't working, they fixed it right away. And when I brought some cleaning down right at 9 AM - the cutoff time that was listed on the laundry bag - the woman said the laundry had already been sent out, but she got them to come back and get my bag.

Still, there were a bunch of things that really bothered me. (Besides the busted TV and the apparent lack of communication around when the laundry goes out.) The hotel's website says that all the rooms have an ipod dock, but our room only had a CD player (and some great jazz CDs). I mentioned this to the front desk, and they said that only the superior rooms had ipod docks. (This REALLY bugged me - I hadn't brought my charger specifically because I didn't think I'd need it.)

Other things that fell short: there was no coffee in the lobby in the mornings, but there was some set up in the adjoining restaurant - but they charged for it. (If I'd been paying $300 per night, I'd have been outraged. As far as I could tell the restaurant wasn't serving breakfast. The coffee was, I believe, just for guests to purchase.) The sheets were too small for the bed and came off the second you turned in your sleep. There were a few stains on the bedspread and the rug was a little tattered - the whole place just felt a little rough around the edges, sort of unreliable (empty drinks on the hall tables for the entire day, housekeeping not coming until after 3 in the afternoon), and lacking in personal touches and amenities.

Again, it wasn't a disaster - but it definitely wasn't great. As a hotel junky, I found it disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CambridgeHotelJunky
Reviewed March 8, 2009

This place is amazing! It was my second time staying here and will never stay anywhere else in NOLA again. It is far enough away to not hear all the noise from Bourbon Street in the middle of the night and close enough to walk everywhere! We arrived to check in at 3 like everyone else. Our room was not quite ready so we had to wait. We did not get mad or ask for anything but they upgraded our room and gave us 2 free drinks at the bar!! We ended up only having to wait about 20 minutes for our room anyways! We had a room with a balcony that was extremely nice and had a very comfy bed. The bar in the lobby is a great place to hang out. All of our friends ended up meeting in our hotel lobby every night to have a round of drinks before going out. The only downfall is their breakfast- not much to it. There is a restaurant attached but it was just opening and we didn't try it. Maybe it will have a great breakfast when we go back!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2009

The hotel was awesome, and so was the staff. They did the best they could to help you get there even though I called them a bunch of times to get directions becuase the Mardi Gras parades were going and a lot of streets closed off. This is a great spot to be near the French Quarter but not too many good resturants nearby, except for their in house resturant which we haven't been able to try yet. Overall the hotel experience and the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at the International House hotel the first weekend of Mardi Gras 2009. Let me start with the minimal negative. The front desk staff was not very helpful, and they were about 50-50 on handling our requests. We're not super high maintenance, but needed a couple of things. There's no-in room mini bars, or movies. That said, don't let that stop you because the hotel is stylish, hip, and comfortable, with a location a half block from Canal Street. Great restaurants are very close, and the hotel's restaurant and bar are very good. It's a nice place to hang out. The rooms, while not huge, had a good sized bathroom, and housekeeping was good. We really enjoyed our stay and will stay there again. Try the French 75 in their bar - Loa.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2009

After spending a fun evening in the bar at the International House I really wanted to check out the hotel itself. I recently stayed at the International House and it was not a good experience. The hotel staff seemed to be very unmotivated and unfriendly. The room seemed outdated and in need of an update.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business