“Now THIS is a boutique hotel”

International House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #69 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Now THIS is a boutique hotel”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I reserved International House on a Wednesday night after the accommodations I had booked in advance turned out to be less than I expected. (See my review of the St. James Hotel). I went on Hotels.com and desperately searched for a hotel that would be near to my conference, but in the same price range and with much cleaner rooms/actual boutique flavor.

The International House saved my trip. After not sleeping very well at the prior hotel (I felt I had to sleep in full clothes to avoid the stains on the sheets), I scrambled over to the International House at 9am on Thursday to drop off my bags. The lobby was gorgeous and smelled fantastic...and the staff both looked at me and said, "Good morning, checking in?" I nodded yes and said that I wanted to check my bags for the day and .... they let me check into my room right there and then!!!! Now I know that this often depends on availability, but they didn't even hesitate to give me a key and tell me to relax for a bit in the privacy of my own room if I had time. HURRAY!!! They were so nice.

The location is fantastic -- right down the street from bourbon street, close to the convention center and right next to several great restaurants.

The room itself was VERY clean with new carpet and a super comfy bed with lots of layers of bedding and many pillows. There was a refrigerator (that worked!) and ample storage space. The bathroom was huge and CLEAN and the room had great little accents like the wrought iron bathroom pieces and the photos of New Orleans. Most importantly, the room was quiet quiet quiet -- so quiet that I could take a nap during the day if I wanted (I instead had to work). Housekeeping was super helpful and the bar downstairs has fantastic bartenders with an AMAZING selection of delicious drinks. Go out of your comfort zone -- you won't be disappointed. There were lots of special little touches throughout -- and the front desk staff was always helpful. At one point, a lamp broke in my room and it was fixed within 1.5 hours while I was out at a meeting. And on my last day, I needed them to hold my bags for a couple hours and the process was seamless and easy.

The only drawbacks to the International House were: (1) the gym is quite small, but useable for a quick workout if no one else is there; (2) if you have more than one person, the bath counterspace is tiny -- but it was perfect for one; (3) NO ROOM SERVICE!! Being there on business, I ended up having to work in my room often and I missed meals simply because I couldn't have someone bring it up to my room. This was really the only thing I missed.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience, particularly given my experience at the other hotel. The International House is a bit of a hybrid between a W and a cute boutique hotel -- it has some air of the dark/club vibe of the W, but with more of an "artsy" vibe. I was very very comfortable there as a 30's something woman.

Thank you, International House, for saving my sanity in New Orleans!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Huntington, CT
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Checked in very late, entered our tiny, tiny room only to find hair on the sheets. When I mentioned (not complained, but but made sure the front desk knew) all I got was: "Uh, sorry." Tiny room: NYC rooms are 2X the size and 2/3 the price. No bureau. Metal night stand that probably was thought to be funky, but comes across cheap. All the caulking in the bathroom needs redoing. Mold in the shower. Our room was never vacuumed the 3 nights we were there. The place is more concerned with being "boutique" than offering service that fits the cost. Apparently there's coffee/fruit in the morning? No one told us. I saw it being removed before I knew anything about it. You have to ask for any info: check out, wifi, all non-existent unless you inquire. Location is the big plus. 1 1/2 blocks off the Quarter so you're removed from the craziness. Bed, hair-aside, is very comfortable.

Room Tip: Apple King room just about fits the king bed and little else.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mazlow
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the International House for our niece's wedding. The hotel is funky; there was an art happening Saturday night which made for a great after party for the wedding.

The room was comfortable, and the location of the hotel was good for walking or catching the streetcar to explore.

My only complaint was that there was no hot water Sunday AM. The staff indicated that engineering had been called, but there was no sense that the situation would change, so we loaded out early, which we probably needed to do given that we were driving back to Atlanta.

Stayed November 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This property is gorgeous! I love the classic NOLA touch to the decor and architecture. One of the things I absolutely enjoyed about the property is that it is close enough to walk to Bourbon Street but far enough to be away from all the noise and partying. Another plus was the Aveda brand bath products. Who doesn't love Aveda?!?!

During my stay, I left a pair of shoes in my car (which was valeted at the property) that I needed to wear for an event. I called down to the front desk and told them about my shoes, and they sent someone to go and get them. They even brought them up! What great service! It's little things like that that make people happy! I'm glad they recognize that here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The location of this place can't be beat--you're only a few blocks from the French Quarter but don't have to deal with the crowds roaming around there. It's only a few minutes to walk to the French Quarter or the St. Charles streetcar. WiFi is free, which is as it should be in all hotels (but unfortunately isn't). I told the reservation person that we were staying for our anniversary and they upgraded us to the "Apple room," which was a plus since there was a convention in town that meant we got gouged on price for Thurs-Sat nights. No noise issues from inside the building, but there is a dumpster emptying every night around 2 a.m.--only takes a few minutes, though, so not a huge deal.

Minor drawbacks include the lack of a restaurant or any type of food service, and the only way to get ice (the tap water is oddly warm) is to have them bring it to you, which we didn't feel like bothering with.

The bar (Loa) is fantastic, so if you're a cocktail fan, this is your ideal hotel. We stopped in almost every night of the 5 nights we stayed. Excellent drinks and very friendly bartenders.

Room Tip: If five minutes of dumpster noise per night bothers you, ask for a room on a different side of the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank madgal72
Batesville, Arkansas
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Made a pretty last minute reservation for a time when choices were limited due to a large convention in town. At $265, it feels too expensive but I still struggle with the rates that are being charged in most large cities these days. The hotel staff greeted us warmly and were very helpful. The lobby has a pleasing, cozy, and refined feel to it. The elevator is convenient and fast. The room is clean, spacious enough, although somewhat spartan in it's furniture. The bed is not spartan, nor are the luxurious linens and towels. It is well thought out however as it has everything needed. The room was very quiet! Prices of mini bar items are refreshingly low. When other hotels insult me with such ridiculous prices on such items, it simply feels that this hotel operates with more integrity. The tiny coffee bar in the lobby could definitely be upgraded, but the free coffee is appreciated.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Washington
Reviewed October 27, 2013

If anyone actually pays the rack rate for this hotel $799/king, they are wasting a lot of $. From the overly-perfumed and ultra-dark lobby (candles are fine for evening, but 3pm?) to the small bedroom size and stark/bland furnishings - this place has a long way to go to be a good boutique hotel. Housekeeping was poor. We had to specifically ask for them to vacuum the floor and clean the shower. The shower door leaked, and they took the soggy bath mat but only once gave us a fresh one. Forgot to put in new TP roll one day, left pillows part on bed and part off another. Be careful as our room door did not close securely. It required an extra tug because the paint job seemed to have warped the door. And yes there was quite the smell of paint (maybe that explains the heavy perfume in lobby). Street noise was loud as was walking around from room above us. Exercise room minimal. Bar is nice. And the sheets aren't ironed so the top hem is all wrinkled. The lower sheet was too small and didn't tuck in, so the cheap unattached mattress pad would get lumpy when one turned over at night. The stub of a pencil and 3 pieces of paper they give you for writing is pathetic. Location is good, facility is not. Often no one to welcome you into hotel or hail a cab for you. Construction on exterior didn't help as water ran down on sidewalk by hotel entrance if you stood there when coming and going.

Room Tip: Select another hotel. Higher floors may hear fewer 2:30am garbage pick-up wake-up calls...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We are thrilled that you liked the location of our hotel. Thank you for your comments. We do take great pride in our service and cleanliness standards and are sorry that you felt that we fell short. All comments from our guests are important and we will of course take necessary precautions to insure that these challenges are fixed going forward. We do hope to see you again.