“Nice boutique hotel, great location - just bring earplugs!”

International House Hotel
Ranked #73 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed at the IH in New Orleans over Thanksgiving 2012 for 4 nights. The place is really nice - the lobby is very chic, the bar at the lobby is cozy and prepares great drinks.
Our room in the 3rd floor was what we expected of a boutique hotel - not a large room, but very conmfortable with a great bed and nice furnishings.
The only issue was the noise - the third floor is too close to ground level, and it was hard to sleep without earplugs. Our friends stayed at the Penthouse level (technically 12 floor) and they did not hear any noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, it gets noisy in the lower ones.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for International House Hotel

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed 6 nights in October during a convention and I chose it on one hand based on the vast number of good reviews and on the other hand because it was somewhat cheaper (220 usd plus tax) than the headquarter hotels of the convention. It was the worst experience I could ever have.
Ok, the reception and the adjacent bar have a certain atmosphere but this is it. The hotel has a heavy smell of mould, which was immediately noticed also by a few friends who visited me. It is embodied in everything. Even my clothes which were in my suitcase and in individual clothes-bags didn't escape the same fate. The furniture and the bathroom are outdated and worn out. The mini fridge could not keep even a small bottle of water cool.

NO ROOM SERVICE AVAILABLE and a broken phone too! I had to dress myself up at 1am to inform the reception that loud noise was coming from next door. By the way terrible building construction. I could hear and feel (by means of my bed shaking as it was adjacent to the wall) the intimate moments of next-door occupants. The shower was faulty and didn’t disperse the water. Therefore you had a high pressured column of water literally hitting you. Do I need to add more?! Is this considered a boutique hotel? By no means.

To be fair, I have to mention 2-3 positive things. It is very close to the French Quarter, (however many other hotels are too). Nice flat TV with a variety of channels, Aveedo amenities (yet no shower gel, just soap, highly inconvenient), iHome player, comfortable bed (though with mouldy smell) and spacious bathroom.

During the convention the prices of the New Orleans hotels’ in general were really high, but this hotel is not worth more than 80-90 usd per night. Avoid it.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a high floor to avoid noise coming from the road.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank baik
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

We are so happy that you enjoyed our location, comfy bed and Aveda ammenities. We took great time and energy in researching and purchasing the best products that we could. Our phone system is in the middle of an upgrade and will be done by the end of the year. It has taken us a bit longer than expected. We do hope that you will visit us again so that you can easily stroll to the French Quarter.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stay here every time we come to town. It is a great boutique hotel located in a perfect part of town for those not needing to sleep in the French Quarter. An easy walk gets you there as well as to the Superdome. The hotel itself is nicely decorated and has a great candlelit bar in the lobby with lovely bartenders that know how to do it right. The staff is always awesome and attentive. Highly recommended place to stay!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The International House Hotel, in New Orleans, Louisiana. Is one of the most enjoyable hotels I've ever had the pleasure of staying in. The ambiance is incredible, comfortable and perfect for a New Orleans stay. The employees are all so fantastic to work with. Loa, the hotel bar, is one of my favorite in the whole city.

Most importantly, the rooms are beautiful! This is our second stay at the International House and we've stayed in the luxurious "corner king" rooms both times. The bed is so comfortable I didn't want to leave and with the corner kings, you're bathed in beautiful light when the curtains are open.

I would recomend this hotel to anyone, whether you're coming in from out of town, or local and just want to experience a perfect weekend escape!

Room Tip: The corner kings are amazing! Spacious and beautiful.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The International House is well-located for a visit to New Orleans. Plenty of everything within two blocks of the place, but it's easy to walk to the Quarter or hop on the streetcar from there, too.

The rooms are tiny. Tiny. We upgraded from a room without windows to one that had a window, and it was basically a bed, two side tables and a recessed cupboard for our things. When going to New Orleans, being in the room isn't the point, but if you care about having space, this won't be the place for you.

Still, the bed slept well, and the room was relatively quiet in a city of perpetual partying.

The bathroom was great. Aveda products and a soaking tub with soft towels and a night light that kept me from running into things in the middle of the night.

Other reviewers have noted some of these things, but I will as well. No room service, which was fine with us. No room to store your own water in the mini bar if you care about drinking it cold. Great wifi. The lobby is a scene, and the bar was decent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The location is excellent and staff friendly and helpful. I love the beautiful building and the beds are very comfortable. Wish there were coffee in the rooms. I stayed two nights and the maid service didn't appear once. However, this is one of my favorite hotels in New Orleans and I choose to stay there often.

Room Tip: I love the windowless rock star rooms! It is dark and eliminates some of the infamous New Orleans st...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Maureen G
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The staff really make this place - super friendly and helpful.
If you can choose a room with windows (I heard the small ones without aren't so good). The hotel is five mins walk from the French Quarter so great from a tourist perspective. Other stuff I liked:
- cocktails and bar area - really intimate
- big tv and comfortable bed
- free wi-fi throughout
Would return here without a doubt!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends