New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of International House Boutique Hotel

International House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #67 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice location, beautiful lobby, OK room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just returned from my first trip to NOLA. My friend and I try to stay in two different locations/hotels when we travel to get a feel for different areas. The lobby is beautiful, and the front desk very helpful and friendly. When we settled in our room, i noticed that the hallway carpet was soaked. Called the front desk and they were very accommodating to move us to a new room. They said that maybe it was just steam cleaned? We decided to stay. Then we noticed that there was a leak in the wall in the bathroom that maybe was causing the water. They didn't send anyone to investigate until the next morning. Felt that I had to mention it a few times to the staff and not sure if it was ever investigated while we were there? Other than that, the room was clean but looked tired. Not a lot of furniture. Housekeeping did not clean or even enter the room in on the second day so we had to reuse all of the towels. The Aveda products are nice but extremely tiny. I have never seen such a small bar of soap. Not sure if I would stay again? Wasn't awful but a I have been in better places.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed our service and Aveda products. We are sorry that we had to move you to another room during your stay. We did have an issue with the room above yours and their overflowing tub and just hate that it affected your visit. We do hope that you will visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is now our second stay at this hotel and I believe each year that we visit this will be our hotel of choice. Everyone from the doorman to the receptionist at the desk was friendly and helpful. It says alot about the hotel that you still see the same faces from the previous year that still work there.

• Stayed September 2012
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great hotel, we were accommodated throughout our stay. The staff was the best and very friendly, there is no better place to stay in New Orleans this place is within walking distance of everything.Our room was very stylish and housekeeping seemed fine. The bed was very comfortable and there are nice Aveda toiletries. The staff would deliver ice to room any time of the day or night. They turned us on to the best places to eat. Assist us with directions and transportation.This is my new home away from home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

In terms of style, location and service I found this hotel great. I stayed at this hotel for 1 night and booked last minute. For the price I was very happy. We arrived early and were offered a free upgrade as our original room booked was not ready. The bar downstairs opens at 4.00pm and is fantastic for drinks after 11pm. The bar tender is Amazing, some of the nicest cocktails I have had plus he recommends a twist to the standard cocktails.

The hotel is within walking distance to the french quarter and frenchman street as well as bourbon. We will be returning as a fresh style, cleanliness and location are the 3 major qualities I look for in any hotel.

Negative:

There was a problem with the hot water during our stay and there was no mini bar. However the mini bar was not a concern as we preferred to have a drink at the bar on the ground level.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the International House back in May for three nights on our first trip to NOLA. We were in NOLA for a wedding and while we spent a lot of time at the Grand Sonesta where the festivities were held, we were so pleased that we stayed at the International House and had such a lovely stay for a fraction of the price (we booked at a good rate about 10 weeks before our stay). We were pleased to have received a complimentary upgrade and our suite was a corner unit with a great view. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean and well appointed. The bed was also very comfortable. The location was great for us, a very close walk just over Canal Street to the French Quarter but also less noisy than staying on Bourbon St. The staff were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed having a drink in the beautiful bar off the lobby. We would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'm going to try to be as fair in my comments.
I just completed a 3 day stay at the International House. I stayed there previously, years ago, and went back on the basis of a positive experience.
This time my stay was not good.
Upon arrival, I was informed that the room I had reserved, which was an interior room( street noise is significant) was not available because Hurricane Isaac ( a couple of weeks ago) had caused damage to these rooms. I was also informed that there was no in-house phone system and so I could use my cell phone to call the front desk. I was upgraded to a Suite, but it was on the second floor so it was loud and while shabby chic is nice, this was heavy on the shabby and sort of minimalist. The Suite had no room safe, no minibar, and no hot water. I was informed that the boiler had broken and they were getting it fixed. It was not fixed during the stay. Cold showers aren't a great start to my day. Did I mention that the hotel restaurant was also closed because of storm damage? The second night fire alarms at 3:30 AM and 5:30 AM ( false alarms fortunately) made for a sleepless night.
To be fair, management comped 2 nights of my stay, which was a nice gesture, but what they should have done is 1) inform me ahead of time that they had damage, what was missing, and let me decide if I wanted to keep the reservation, 2) proactively address other issues rather than let me discover the problem - no restaurant, no hot water. I know, I could have left and gone to another hotel, but I didn't realize until the 2nd day that the water issue was ongoing and there was no food in the hotel. I had a busy schedule and a short stay and didn't want to hassle with moving.
I won't go back and I think for the price the hotel commands, which was over 300 dollars a night, you can do better at other hotels in the city and have a more comfortable and predictable stay. It's a lousy brand strategy to let guests know ex post facto that they are going to have problems during their stay and to try to slide by.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ChiveTidbits
Thank you for your very fair comments. Hurricane Isaac thru us for a loop and did affect many of our outlets and services that are always, and should always be standard operating services in a hotel such as International House. We do hope that you will give us another try...we promise not to let you down.
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel is extremely modern and stylish - a very 'cool' vibe and maybe just a little too cool to be really comfortable - appeared to be full of 'beautiful people' (except us!!). Our room was very stylish and housekeeping seemed fine. The bed was very comfortable and there are nice Aveda toiletries. However there are very few amenities for what is a considerable cost ($400 on weekends). Certainly doesn't include breakfast, no wine glasses supplied in the room, no movies available, limited number of TV channels etc. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful and gave us lots of good advice about restaurants. The location is also great - away from the French Quarter but within easy walking distance. Summing it up however, $400 is a lot to pay for style without a lot of substance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple