“Really Cool Lobby - Great Location”

International House Hotel
Ranked #75 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 28, 2012

When you walk into the lobby you get a very good impression. It has nice design and is great for lounging. The staff so helpful and friendly, from recommending off the beaten path restaurants to showing me were I should driving to get a little local swamp culture. SUPER SUPER staff Valets to Reception.
This is why they get 4 stars instead of 5 stars. The Rooms. They are too normal and plain. Until I got the room I thought I was in a really cool boutique hotel. When I entered the room it was like entering a comfort inn. The room was very clean and large, but so boring...
Having said that; I would still go back and stay for the great staff alone.
Oh... Keep the bar open later (if the law allows).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was our second time back to International House and it was just as good as the first time. The location is great, staff is friendly, beds are comfy (very important after a day of lots of walking) and the lobby bar was a cool place to have a pre-dinner drink. Can't wait to come back next year!!

1  Thank Dyan C
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Overal experience at the international house was spectacular!! The staff was great, making the stay that much better! Guys, if you are looking for a romantic place to take your lady, this place is second to none. The sexy atmosphere in the rooms, spa, lobby, and bar area will make any woman happy! If your looking to impress, this is definitely the place to stay!

1  Thank Sbratton
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've stayed at the Int'l House in New Orleans 3 or so times now...and it's charm, staff and great lobby bar never fail to disappoint. The rooms are great (high ceilings, solid bathrooms, comfy beds, blackout curtains). Even better...upgrades to queen-size and king-size rooms are quite affordable. Make sure to finish off each evening with a drink at the appropriately dark and appropriately sexy lobby bar...

Room Tip: At check in, spend the extra $10/night for an upgrade to a queen-size room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank egr10672
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had a large group come to International House. We decided we needed to arrive a day early. When we got in at 1am the staff was very surprised because something happened and our reservation wasn't changed. They did everything they could and accomated our need for a nice bed in a great hotel! We also used their meeting facility which was also a wonderful experience between Sally and Vivian we were very comfortable for 12 hours. Thank you ladies!!!!! You Rock and we will definitely be back!

1  Thank Sarahhornbuckle
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had a horrible experience with the International House Hotel in New Orleans. I had a large trip planned for a special occasion. In total, I had reserved 15 rooms at International House for the event. I had started the planning process months in advance and had secured the block of rooms with my credit card well beforehand. They then called me 1.5 days before the trip to tell me that they would not be able to accomodate us. They did not offer any type of compensation. They referred me to another hotel in New Orleans. I asked them to assure me that the alternative hotel was nice. They assured me that it was a "newly renovated" hotel in the area with "a boutique quality." In fact, it turned out to be one one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The whole experience was very disappointing and embarrassing to me as the host of the event. My advice: do not even consider International House.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank B503154171
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Due to damaged rooms (now corrected) from Hurricane Isaac we had to relocate your group. We are sorry that this had to be done as we would have loved for you to stay with us. We recommended a hotel that was in your price range that recently opened. I am sorry that your stay at the other hotel was not a good one. We do hope that you will consider NOLA in your future travel plans.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This place has made a real effort to bring a youthful, trendy feel to the hotel. Except it doesn't really work and just feels a little shabby. Checking in you feel you're at an Apple store with some fairly scruffy "geniuses" giving a fairly amateurish performance.

We stayed for one night in a Queen bedroom (the cheapest option - it may be that the more pricier options are significantly better, although it has to be judged on the experience I had). The room was small (the room was in fact minute but bizarrely had a spacious bathroom) and inward facing, overlooking a rooftop generator that sang its heart out all night long. The bed was small and the sheets uncomfortable and scratchy. There was quite a minimalist style - grey walls, abstract paintings - that didn't really work.

The bar seemed nice, although a simple request to borrow a spoon seemed to throw the staff into panic and confusion, before we were finally provided with one "as long as you give it back" (!).

Location-wise it's ok, a 15 minute walk into the French quarter but nothing immediately in the vicinity of the hotel.

All in all I would recommend this place if you can find a good deal, or perhaps splash out on one of the pricier rooms. I certainly would not stay there again in a Queen room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Merryfield007

We do love apple products but are truly sorry that your visit with us was not enjoyable. We do offer many room types and hope that you will stay with us again to perhaps enjoy a king bedded room which is more spacious. Our location is 2 blocks from the French Quarter and we are happy to provide you with a map on your next visit to help get you there a bit faster as it is about a 2 minute walk.