“Sad to say, but my favorite hotel in NOLA has slipped off the list.”

International House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #69 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Jackson, Mississippi
“Sad to say, but my favorite hotel in NOLA has slipped off the list.”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I've been a dedicated fan of IH since it opened. No longer, but I hope to be again. The hotel is sadly in need of repairs in the rooms, and is worn and tired compared to its former self. This stay was noisy, the room was worn, rotted wood and peeling paint at the walls and windows. Less service than usual, in this no- frills hotel, and morning coffee is now $5 in a paper cup that you walk to get yourself. IH has fallen far, and I hope to see it come back. Bar is still good, however.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank FriedGreenTomatillos
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your review and for beinging such a loyal IH customer. I am sorry to hear that your last stay was less than perfect. We have recently undergone an extensive renovation that includes new carpeting, bedding, bathroom fixtures as well as all new soft goods. The last step is to remove all of the guest room wallpaper. We have completed 81 rooms and have 36 remaining. We will be 100% complete by the end of August. We do hope that you will stay with us again...I promise that you will not be disappointed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I've visited New Orleans at least 20 times. Mostly for business but also for pleasure. The hotels I usually stay at were sold out and The International House had a good price. This location is perfect. You don't really want to stay in the Quarter because of all the noise. This hotel is two blocks from Bourbon St. Lobby is kind of Andy Warhol like; unique and cool. Rooms were VERY nice. Ceiling fan in the room which you don't see every day. Also, ts about two blocks from Harrah's Casino if you like to gamble. Parking is an issue but it is an issue regardless of the hotel you choose. Staff was very accomadating. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Avon, Minnesota
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I love the simplicity that this hotel offers. Yet, I believe it falls very short of the amenities that one would expect from a 4-star hotel - especially one billed as an "Apple King Room..."

Pros: I LOVE my room setup. Love it. Very simple and clean. The closet had a ton of space for me to spread out. Large tub, nice mini-fridge, comfortable bed and linens. The aveda products are nice, yet could be more liberally dispensed.

CONS: No ability to open the windows. No opportunity to order pay-per-view. Limited HD channels. The water pressure was weak, and not consistently warm - which was VERY frustrating. Access to warm water was VERY inconsistent. I heard vacuuming, loud and clear, at 10:30 p.m. outside of my room. NOT acceptable! The stentch of the candle scent in the lobby is nearly unbearable!!!

Staff: Friendly and very accommodatint, yet with a strong flair of pretentiousness.

My recommendation: instead or providing "lip service" to complaints, actually respond to the repeated and consistent constructive criticism. You have a gem in the rough, it's time to polish it!

Room Tip: No pool or spa, as such, I rated as average... As I couldn't go back and delete or remove. C...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tom S
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2012

International House is a great pick! It almost has a 'W' hotel feel to it but it has more personality and local flavor. The lobby is warm but funky, the lounge (Loa) is phenomenal - lots of velvet and candlelight....herbs on the bar for handcrafted cocktails. The cocktail list takes mixology quite seriously! Great assortment of wines and spirits.

The room we had was on the smaller side, but had a hallway and a full size wardrobe that allowed you to accommodate two people comfortably. The bathroom was not small at all and had a bath and a shower. Everything was in good condition and it was attractively decorated. The hotel has its own character, which we really liked. The location is pretty good, you can easily walk to the Quarter - it is located in the Central Business District, so be prepared to walk a little or grab a cab.

The only complaint I have is we left a pair of sandals in the room and called the hotel three times asking if we could give a credit card number to UPS them back to us and no one would return our call. Other than that, the property is great!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SafariSnob
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the wonderful drinks in loa! Please email me directly at areimer@ihhotel.com and let me know what room you were in so that I can track down your sandles and have them returned to you. We look forward to your return visit.
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

One note, my wife was traveling for work, so we didn't pay for it, looked expensive. Very nice room' comfortable and clean. Great location two blocks from the french quarter. The lobby and bar looked really cool, it seemed like something was always going on. They had a voodoo exhibit one night.. The hotel exudes a young "hip" vibe, but it's not too cheesy. Recommended

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We really liked the concept of this hotel - environmentally, culturally and aesthetically sensitive. It's a conversion of the original 'world trade centre' - hence the name, which the building has had for decades of its previous life - and the design is excellent. We stayed in a very large twin room (with window); the beds were extremely comfortable, though we would have appreciated reading lights. The cocktails in the bar are extraordinary, inventive and delicious. For a hotel of this class we didn't think it was overpriced. Location gives easy access to all the trolley car lines and the French Quarter.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Loved it, really nice, will definitely be staying here again soon! Staff extremely nice & helpful. Romantic setting & atmosphere @ night!

• Stayed July 2012