“Beauty only skin deep”

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans
Ranked #26 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Though the location is prime, just off Bourbon Street at the edge of the French Quarter, and the property and rooms well appointed, I would not recommend this hotel. For the price, I expect meticulous service and attention to detail. My room was missing shampoo, paper and wrappers on the floor in places a vacuum could easily reach, and ants. These issues were resolved after complaint, but I would expect not to have any issues in a luxury hotel. Additionally, it was very noisy at night both from hallway noise and outside (walls seemed thin, not soundproof) and there was so little water coming from the shower I felt almost like I had to run around to get wet! To top it off, during our stay a scam artist identifying as an employee with an employee number made calls internally in the wee hours, asking half-asleep patrins for a credit card to confirm identies because there had been a "security breach on the property." when reported, employees said there was nothing they could do and did not apologize. I will not return to this hotel, and recommend you choose another.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MRTebo

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The inside of the hotel is decent enough. The bar is pretty good. The rooms were very clean.

For breakfast, don't torture yourself with the hotel breakfast - it's way overpriced and the menu selection is incredibly poor. Take a 5 minute walk up toward Canal Street and to go the IHOP right there on the right. Decent food, good choices, good coffee and all at a VERY reasonable price.

The problem with this hotel is the location.

Now, I will say that I was on the second floor on the side of the hotel that led to Bourbon Street - so it might just be WHERE I was in the hotel (keep that in mind).

The thumping of speakers in the cars going by all night actually rattled the lights and television my room. The constant yelling and screaming of drunk partiers (doesn't matter what night of the week) went on until the wee-hours of the morning. Then the cleaning trucks would come by.

On average I got 2 to 3 hours of restful sleep a night while I was there.

Bourbon Street is, well, Bourbon Street. I suppose it's one of those things you go to then cross off your bucket list. I mean really, how many times do you need to smell urine and vomit, see drunks arguing, police hauling away various individuals and have music blasted so loud you can't even hear yourself think?

My advise: Choose a hotel farther away from Bourbon Street so you can get some rest. If you want to go to Bourbon Street, then go - but be able to leave it, and the noise and the smells, behind.

Room Tip: Demand a room as far away from Bourbon Street as possible and as high up in the hotel as you can get...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank kwhatley
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at Hyatt last Oct 9 and 10th 2012, I request a inside courtyard room they ignored that request saying the Bourbon Street with Balcony is an up-grade. Unlike other reviews road work was not an issue, instead the room (*286 and I assume rooms 284-292 would have the same problem) was right over the garbage pick-up location. The balcony stunk of trash, the truck came by at 3:15am each night and with paper thin outside walls unless you are totally passed out you will wake up, I did the pick-up service take 1/2 hour. As for location great, bed wonderful however I woke with back pain both nights. Parking $40 a night, you can park indoor secure 2 min walk away for $17. Internet $9.95 good enough for streaming not worth paying $14.95 for upgrade. Both networks are password protected but not secure.

Room Tip: Choose inside courtyard facing pool of tanning room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jimmyvee
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed in room 319 for 3 nights for a Chargers v. Saints football weekend. I am so glad that a friend recommended this hotel to us - there were a few minor "bumps" but overall it was a great stay and we would stay here again without hesitation.

Pros: Great location! Wow it is right on Bourbon and Iberville Streets. The hotel takes up the whole block and it also borders Canal St. Our room faced Canal St. but the noise wasn't ever an issue. We did hear sirens occasionally, but that was it. We were at the end of a long and crazy hallway (crazy as in it was a winding way to get there - my first thought was leave a bread crumb trail! LOL). So there wasn't any hallway noise and we had a connecting room but never could hear our neighbors.

HOtel is freshly renovated and redecorated - it was nice. Still kept the charm of an older building (12 foot ceilings! nice!) but with the modern sleek furnishings. The bed was SO comfortable. I miss it now that I am home. Linens were nice. There is a small banquet type table and a round table for "dining" or snacks. Flat screen TV. Coffee/tea make, mini fridge. There is also a safe in the room. The bathroom had a nice vanity with sink that made it look updated. Temperature was easy to control and always comfortable.

Front desk staff/bell persons were helpful and friendly during our stay. Easy check-in, we had a late arrival. Hotel was great location. While it is on Bourbon street, I wouldn't really worry about getting a room facing that street, since it is the start of Bourbon and not really where the partiers are - though there is a 3 story hamburger joint across on Bourbon that make be a bit busy.

2 courtyards (if really concerned about noise maybe ask for something facing them) one with pool and one without. The pool area is nice, though a bit generic. NOthing really special.

Cons: When I first called on day of arrival to advise we would be late for check-in, the front desk women was a bit rude and not helpful, so my initial impressions were not great. HOwever, she was gone by the time we arrived and the check-in was great.

Shower pressure - what a bummer. It was SO weak - like a trickle on our first morning, I asked at the front desk and they supposedly sent maintenance up - it was better the nxt 2 days, but still nothing acceptable. Our shower head was not the same as in other rooms and other guests said that their pressure was great. So maybe avoid 319?

Small flat screen TV - the room is fairly large and with the hight ceilings, this dwarfted the TV.

Shower stall/tile was a bit dirty - needed a good cleaning or replacement.

Maid service - was spotty. The room was always clean, but replacing hand towels, soap and TP and the coffee for the coffee maker was not given attention to detail.

Overall though just "minor" issues and nothing that would prevent me from returning. I would probably ask for another room if these issues with this one were not addressed. Other than that it was so fun to visit NO! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: If shower pressure is an issue avoid 319. Ask for an inner courtroom room for quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a very beautiful, elegant hotel. The staff was friendly, and very helpful. The pool was wonderful and there was also a fantastic pool bar as well. After dinner we would go to the bar downstairs. The older bartender pushed us out of the bar right at closing, which was a little rude, other than him the stay was awesome

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dsestep
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed in a different hotel last year during my visit to New Orleans. It was a disaster. This year, I am so glad that I chose Hyatt! The Hyatt French Quarter is conveniently located. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bed is the most comfortable I have ever experience. The pillows were great. The room decor was contemporary, included a refrigerator, and was very clean. The hotel was very quiet too. WIFI was available for a daily fee. I really wish that it wasn't a separate charge. I feel nickel and dimed when these fees are added. But this seems to be the norm in NOLA hotels. The only negative was the in room charge for bottled water ... $4.00! With so many Walgreen stores in the immediate area this wasn't an real issue. I walked a couple blocks to Walgreen where I was able to purchase a six pack of spring water for less than $4.00. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank MAHALOGAL
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Second time to stay at this hotel. First time under new Hyatt Management. Room was chic/modern. Nice & quite, clean comfortable beds. Good location for easy access to Bourbon Street fun. Fast, friendly Front Desk & Valet. Will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Valet parking available or self park in garage across the street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo