This Hyatt looks like a brand new hotel and appears to be well maintained. The room was large, quiet, clean, and had high-end toiletries, including tooth paste - which is not common in most hotels. The bed was very comfortable, and the cooling system worked well. The hotel is in a great location for visiting the major tourist attractions in and around the French Quarter and is only a short walk from the Superdome. The hotel staff was friendly, and was responsive to the issues we experienced during our stay.
I did not rate this hotel "excellent" because we had a few issues during our stay that you wouldn't expect from a "premium" hotel.
1) Since we were celebrating our anniversary we decided to pay extra for a King Balcony room so we could relax outside with a cup of coffee in the morning. We booked our room through Hyatt's website. We used Hyatt's online check-in prior to our arrival and were given a room on the second floor. We immediately went to look at the balcony only to discover that our room did not have one. Instead we were given a room with doors that opened to the pool deck. The outer pane on one of the doors was shattered so we were nervous about opening the door.
I contacted the front desk and was told that due to some maintenance issues they did not have a King Balcony room for us. I was a little frustrated that this was not mentioned to us at check-in since we paid extra for a room with a balcony. We were told that we could move to a room with Queen beds and a balcony, but we decided that a King bed was more important than the balcony. The hotel agreed to lower our rate to match the "non-balcony" rate.
2) When we arrived at our new room I discovered a problem with the shower. There was virtually no cold water and not enough water pressure to reach the shower head unless the handle was turned only fully to "hot". Sine we were running late for our dinner reservations I decided to chance the low pressure scalding shower. Unfortunately there wasn't enough pressure to rinse all of the shampoo out of my hair so I looked like Seinfeld in the "low water pressure" episode. My wife was smarter than me and decided to skip the shower. The shower was fixed the next day.
3) Only one of the entry cards for our room worked. Unfortunately I had the "bad" card and couldn't enter the hotel when I ran back to the room to pick up something we forgot. I was a sitting duck for panhandlers who offered to help for a tip. The "tip" didn't work :) so I tracked down my wife and returned with the good card. I was issued a new card the next morning.
We're from New Orleans and stay downtown often. I might try this hotel again, but won't finish our stay next time if it gets off to the same start.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hyatt Centric French Quarter is a New Orleans luxury hotel located in the historic French Quarter adjacent to Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. This beautifully restored historic hotel offers 254 smoke-free guestrooms with expansive 12-foot ceilings, plush bedding, modern in-room amenities, and balconies that overlook the historic French Quarter, our gorgeously landscaped courtyards or New Orleans' famous Bourbon Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham New Orleans
- New Orleans Wyndham
- Sonesta New Orleans
- New Orleans Chateau Sonesta
- New Orleans Sonesta