“NOLA Adventure”

Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our stay at this hotel greatly enhanced my first trip to New Orleans. We read Trip Advisor reviews and when booking, we requested a room on a top floor overlooking the courtyard where it would be quiet to sleep. It was! We choose not to get a car and the location of the Bourbon Orleans was wonderful. We were able to walk everywhere......When we first checked in to the lobby filled with fresh flowers and comfortable furniture,we visited the concierge, Ron, who was a wealth of knowledge and gave us fabulous information. He listened to our desires and recommended a City Tour, which picked up and dropped off at the hotel, and made reservations at many of the top restaurants... we were set for our mini vacation.

We found the room and bedding to be comfortable. The staff was excellent from the receptionist, Gio, at the front desk... to Rosetta,housekeeping manager who lent me scissors for a quick trim of my bangs. We ate and enjoyed an excellent brunch, with fresh cooked eggs and enhanced by the services of our waiter, Mark. We appreciated the courtesy coffee, citrus filled water and ice tea offered throughout the day.

The pool area was peaceful. We tried the bar, on Bourbon St. and it was our one disappointment, the service was good but the bar lacked the character and charm of the rest of the hotel. It was filled to the brim with smokers and we made a quick exit. In talking to the manager, we think they have plans to "redo" the bar, we hope so.

We will recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the Courtyard up high where it is quiet and peaceful......
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mariel_9
Write a ReviewReviews (6,366)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was so excited to stay at this historic hotel in New Orleans after reading all the reviews. Because I'm traveling with family, I had some concerns about the size of the room we'd be staying in and we were considering booking an additional room, possibly a loft suite. I made my initial booking through the off-property reservations center that you are immediately transferred to when you request reservations. Unfortunately, they are not on-site and were unable to answer any of my questions regarding room sizes, etc.

On two consecutive days, I called and requested the Front Desk (as Reservations had recommended). Both times the call was answered by a very brusque woman who was rude and unhelpful. The first time, I had no more started to ask the question then she interrupted me and said I'd need to talk to Reservations. I told her they'd said to talk to the Front Desk, and with no further ado, she transferred me to Reservations. I called back the second day, hoping to get to talk to someone with better hospitality and phone manners. Unfortunately, it was the same woman and she was just unbelievably rude on the phone. She kept telling me I'd have to ask Reservations any questions I had about the room size or adding an additional room. I told her that Reservations had said I needed to talk to her. Finally, I asked to speak with a manager. She said, "Why do you want to talk to a manager?" And kept repeating that question every time I asked for a manager. Finally, I said, "So I can cancel my reservation!" She then promptly transferred me...guess where? To Reservations!

Sorry, Bourbon Orleans. The staff at your Front Desk are the first impression your guests have of your lovely hotel. Unfortunately, the impression was lasting but wasn't good. Hope you can retrain the employee in question. I'm betting you'll recognize her from my review. She has an accent and works evenings at the Front Desk.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank szpal
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I picked this hotel with this being our first visit to NOLA. First night we didn't fall asleep until 5:30 in the morning and it's not because we were out partying! We had a loft on St. Anne and Bourbon - highly recommended but be ready for the noise level of the drunks! I went to the front desk the next morning to get more pillows (to try and block out noise next night) and they gave us free ear plugs - worked great! Daughter had a great time on the balcony watching everyone. The only thumbs down during our visit was: 1. no room service on Sunday and Monday nights, elevators were slow so we took stairs to our 3rd floor room most of the time (good exercise though!), no refrig in room and they say no coolers but then I never saw a soda machine (just ice), and the bar was the worst that we went to on our visit. Thumbs up for location, location, location, valet service (we didn't have a long wait for car when we left), cleaniness of room, and friendly staff.

Room Tip: If traveling with young children you may want to choose a room over looking pool area and not the st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christie7313
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Location, location, location. This place is in the center of the French Quarter, so it is walking distance to the old famous New Orleans restaurants, lots of Bourbon Street bars, and like. The downside of this is that they only have valet parking at $35/night and they want a 30 minute notice to get your vehicle. I parked on Rampart Street at St.Louis Street in an open lot at $25 for 24 hours which is about 8 blocks away. Clean place and desk service was fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarlofDelaware
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am an event manager who was in town during the Super Bowl and I was blown away with the staff at the Bourbon Orleans! They are the most professional staff that I have dealt with in my current position. Louis (Valet Manager) and his entire staff were a pleasure to work with, and they made my experience there streamlined and simple. New Orleans is certainly a difficult city to work with and they made my experience there excellent. I hope that I have the opportunity to work with them again in the near future!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank M M
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel decor is lovely, suited to the French Qtr..stylish, period furnishings. We paid top dollar for New Orleans as it was a special trip for us and we wanted to spoil ourselves.
Firstly, we discovered our room didn't have a fridge, the room was tiny, barely enough room to walk around the bed! The bed was comfortable but we felt cramped.
The valet parking was a nightmare, you had to give them 40 mins notice to bring your car and we were always left waiting. The morning of our departure we had organised with valet to have our car ready at 7am the following morning. We still had to wait 40 mins in the morn.. Car being available at 7.40. The attendant had so much attitude and said he didn't work for the hotel etc.. And it basically was not his fault. Very poor customer service!!
I'm by no means a whinger and have had excellent experiences at every other hotel we booked in the States.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It's been a while since I've been in NOLA, maybe about 7 years. Being booked at a private hotel in the French Quarter has its risks I knew, but was surprised to find a comfortable and clean hotel that borders Bourbon Street. The Bourbon Orleans service was attentive and friendly. Shower/Bath were clean and in good condition. Breakfast was not so great but then again, it took me a while to find a restaurant that could make a simple omelet without peppers and onions for me. Location within the French Quarter was perfect in my opinion. My room was quiet but I did have a colleague with a room on Bourbon Street and he said it was pretty loud. I walked to the convention center each morning and afternoon putting about 3 miles on my legs each day.

Room Tip: Stay off of the Bourbon Street side if you can....
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business