“Poor service - great location”

Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
london
“Poor service - great location”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We were staying here on our trip from the uk. We had spent a few days in Florida on the beaches and drove for a few days to visit New Orleans. After a very long day of driving we arrived at the hotel at 350pm (we were told check in was at 3pm) only to be told by a very rude receptionist that our room type was not yet ready we asked what time it would be ready to be told she's not sure about 45mins. We asked if there was any other rooms available to be told abruptly no. Fortunately her colleague saw that she wasn't helping the situation and kindly took over in a better manner. However we were still told to wait and we could go out and explore the town and he would call us when it's ready however after a full day of driving we just wanted to relax, shower etc before the evening so we waited in the lobby which they didn't seem to happy about. After waiting well over 1hr we were told it was ready the man at checkin upgraded our room & offered us one morning of free breakfast (for our 3night stay). The manager was lurking around the lobby and asked us if we were ok and we explained the situation which he looked on pathetically at us and replied that he didn't know why this had happened.
On the flip side the location is fantastic right off bourbon street and perfect for all sightseeing! Do take some ear plugs though as if you are on a street facing room you will hear the bourbon street activities until 0630!!
We had breakfast one morning and the breakfast staff were really genuinely nice and really made you feel welcome and were very attentive.
I believe that the housekeeping staff are very understaffed (which would explain why our room was still not ready at 4pm). You can tell that they do a rushed job, coffee/sugar not replaced, shower not cleaned, lots of dust on the light heads and even through away some of our things!!
The room itself was good with 2 beds large bathroom and large tv too.
We went to use the pool after a day of sightseeing to cool off however the pool itself was SO dirty that we were unable to take a dip.
The valet staff are really helpful and friendly and even rectified a problem with no fuss at all. Our valet ticket showed 30dollars a day plus tax but our final bill from reception says 32 when questioned the reception couldn't do anything about it thankfully valet staff did and have us a friendly reception everytime.
I would just like to add that I work in customer service myself in travel and have travelled and stayed in lots of different hotels and the customer service from some reception staff is very poor. I also saw another set of reception staff dealing with another guest in a not so good way.
So....great location not so great service. If I were to come back to New Orleans from London I would probably look at other hotels in this area.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank lollipop9
BourbonOrleansHotel, General Manager at Bourbon Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for visiting us and providing feedback on your experience. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of all of our associates and I am sorry that your experience was not of the standard we expect from our team. We are pleased that you enjoyed our recently renovated rooms and have taken note of your housekeeping comments. Thank you for recognizing our valet team…Hope all is well in the UK.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,543)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Love the Bourbon Orleans...only two things I would change from this trip....1) my room was on the first floor, 104, awesome room but loud in the early mornings and 2) there was a roach in my room...know it happens...and I killed the "sucker" but hate bugs.

Again, love the hotel, definately stay next time...just would like room on different floor (preferrably 2nd since I love your workout facility) and will be on look out for roach buddies.

Thanks for the follow up.

Room Tip: Don't stay on 1st floor...loud in the AM. All other floors rock :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great Hotel! We stayed at this hotel for my daughter's wedding that was held at the St.Louis Cathedral. This was the perfect location for walking distance to and from our rehearsal dinner at Ralph and Cacoos and the reception at Jax Brewery. The bed's are very comfortable and beautiful room and bathroom. If you would like to be in an ideal French Quarter location, this is it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is not worthy of a Luxury rated hotel. I have stayed in hostels in Europe that are nicer than this hotel. The facility is dated and shows a lot of wear. The walls are paper thin, we listened to the guests on each side of our room snoring, coughing and gagging. The first morning as we were getting ready for the day, we heard people arguing and having a very talkative conversation. It sounded as if it were the maid service outside our door only to find it was coming from a room across the hall and five doors down. We attempted to have lunch at around 12:20 one afternoon only to be turned away because the restaurant was reserved for a private party and offered no other food options. The Hotel lobby bar was never open the entire time we were staying at the hotel. The shower head sprays straight down 6 inches from the shower wall, is not adjustable and the soap basket mounted to the wall is right under the shower head making it impossible to get under the water and rinse. The hotel location is convenient to everything and the bellman was extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgable. The priced paid verses the value recieved were at opposite ends of the spectrum. For what is is worth I spend over 100 night a year traveling and in hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank charles m
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Room was small but comfortable. As the hotel is well located in the heart of the French Quarter and ½ block from “the party crowd” on Bourbon St, we were pleasantly surprised that the room was quiet. It certainly met our needs during a three day pleasure trip to New Orleans. We did not use any of the hotel amenities but did go to the adjacent (and connected?) bar. The front desk staff appeared to be earnest in their desire to provide assistance. Overall, we would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey Shore
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Very helpful, courteous and friendly staff greet you at the door and throughout the hotel. We had a queen bed room overlooking the pool and the accommodations were very nice. The room was a bit small, but this did not cause any issues for my wife and me. We had breakfast in the hotel dining room which was very well prepared and presented, but a bit pricey. There is a $32/day parking charge so rent a car after your stay and/or use the local transportation. Overall no complaints and we will stay at the Bourbon Orleans on a return trip.

Room Tip: If you expect to have someone visit your room for drinks, etc. I’d opt for one of the larger rooms w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
NewOrleans
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Being a local New Orleanian, I chose the hotel for our group for it's beauty, perfect renovation to a historic building and the unbeatable location steps away from Pirates Alley & Jackson Square. I lucked out when I discovered that the Sales Mgr, Deepah, took my hostess-mission personally and made me & all of my colleagues booked at the hotel feel like we were royalty. SHe handled so many details for me that I was able to enjoy all my guests and the event. I stayed the 3 days with them there & I truly did not want to leave! My King room was quiet & lovely on the Orleans St side of the hotel. The bedding was high end- as were the soft generous towels. The rooms were fresh & spotless. Every staff member acted as if they were so happy to work there, they jumped when we needed anyting at all. The valet staff was quick to warn anyone of the time factors of parking their car- that it sometimes takes 1/2 hour to retrieve, but they somehow managed to remember names & car makes & models to keep track! I don't see why anyone would rent a car in this area (especially to park @$32 per night). The finest restaurants, shopping and things to do are in walking distance. Cab fares are cheap enough because nothing is really very far away and I think in this case would be a savings over the whole rental thing. It was sweet to have a few drink passes to their bar that opens onto Bourbon street, it's a great place to gather around the piano & watch Bourbon street pass you by. I love this hotel and it's attentive staff so much, we are going to be regulars for a mini vacation whenever we want to feel spoiled! You can't miss with this one!

Room Tip: My King rm on the Orleans Street side was quiet. ( the rms with 2 double beds are on the small side)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business