“Excellent...Everyone was very helpful. Evening Staff addressed me by name.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #50 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Shreveport, LA
“Excellent...Everyone was very helpful. Evening Staff addressed me by name.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

This hotel is small but perfect for a quick get away. Very quiet. Location is wonderful...Riverwalk, Jackson Square, and Burbon Street all within walking distance. If you want to enjoy local bands, go to Frenchmen Street. The only drawback you have to pay about $10.00 for internet usage for 24 hours. They charge more for parking trucks and small suv than cars and the space is the same. Didn't understand why a small suv is $30.00 vs a Lincoln that would be only $20.00

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

This was my first time staying at a Hotel in New Orleans. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay. However, we were not completely happy as there were some minor issues to go along with the good things about the hotel. The hotel itself although it is off the beaten path was perfectly situated for our needs as we didn't rent a car so we needed to walk to most of what we had planned to do during our trip. Their location in proximity to the French Quarter is perfect.

Our room was clean and we had been upgraded to a ‘suite’ which was great. However it did had a peculiar odor (stale odor) which while it wasn’t over bearing it was certainly noticeable when you first entered the room. The bed was very comfortable as well. The ice machine outside our room broke during the middle of the night and made a continuous beeping noise every minute or so. Upon returning to our rooms the next evening, the machine still wasn’t fixed so I turned it off to stop the beeping noise. It was fixed on Monday. The staff was very friendly and helpful with ideas about site seeing. The continental breakfast was a great start to the day. The coffee lady was a little bit on the aggressive side as she wouldn’t let you get your own coffee but I think that was because we weren’t aware that we needed to ask the her for coffee as opposed to helping yourself. The front desk should let you know this upon check in or there should be a sign in the breakfast room detailing the proper protocol. After talking with the lady we quickly discovered that she was very nice and we did in fact enjoy the breakfast every morning of our stay. The pool area was pleasant surprise and a nice place to enjoy our morning brews. I also had a billing issue (double charged on AMEX) that wasn’t rectified as promise when I called in June, but today I spoke with Erin who was very apologetic and promised that it would be taken care of today. So no worries there.

Again, overall the Bienville was a good choice for us as the price was right, the location was perfect for our plans, the rooms were acceptable and the staff was friendly. We plan on returning to New Orleans again and would certainly considered this hotel for lodging.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank obwan1432
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel is beautiful. We paid for a regular room at an extremely low rate and was upgraded to a suite. I expected a small room based on the reviews here but our room was huge with a king four poster bed. I found a small box of candy and a personalized note from the hotel. The bathroom was also a decent size. The courtyard with pool was really pretty and peaceful. The breakfast was okay but nothing special. The location was perfect. The only bad thing that happened when we were there is that there was a shooting right outside. We arrived around midnight and while we were checking in we saw tons of people running past the hotel. The security guard at the hotel locked the whole place up. We heard some shots outside. It was kind of scary. The next night I spoke to a police officer and he said that kind of thing is rare in that area and it is normally a very safe place. Aside from that we had a good time and loved our room and would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank WDubin
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Spent three nights at Bienville House and had a great time. The location is EXCELLENT, a few well traveled blocks from Bourbon street one way, Riverfront another way, Canal Street one way & Jackson Square another way. Approximately 10 blocks to the WWII museum. I felt safe walking everywhere we wanted to go in the quarter. A quiet section of Decatur (a main street) but a few steps to all of the action. What more can I say? Well, there's more!
The hotel lobby is beautiful, quite elegant. The staff was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable Our room, which we booked for $65 a night (!) was also very nice. We often have trouble sleeping in hotels due to the high quality mattress we have at home, but no troubles here. Nice sheets, great mattress, feather pillows, plenty of closet space, in-room safe, TV (we never turned it on, though). Our room was clean and made up every day.
Each floor (2nd-4th) has a beautiful patio for guests filled with flowers, plants, tables, & chairs. The only time we had to call the desk was due to the fact that the guests in the room next to ours returned at 3:30 am with about 20 friends and started a loud party. The desk clerk promptly called our noisy neighbors and sent the security guard to check in on them. When the party still hadn't stopped 20 minutes later, the guard returned and told them to send their guests elsewhere, or they would be removed from the hotel. With the wide range of party locations in NO where you can be as noisy as you want to be at 3:30, it was the right thing to do. The guests left and we went back to our quiet night. This was the only time we had any noise problems during our entire stay.
The front desk people were very nice. By day two, they knew me and my room number when they saw me! This is a boutique hotel = small, about 70 rooms. They also had a nice amenity in a small nook off the lobby- a free computer with internet access to check and send email from home. There was a sign asking to restrict use to 10 minutes which seemed to be honored. I never had to wait more than a minute or two if I wanted to use the computer. If no one was waiting, you could stay as long as you wanted.
Breakfast was the typical muffins, English muffin, bagel, toast, cereal you see most places. Milk, tea, OJ and coffee was also available. Depending on the day of the week 2-3 papers were available for guests (USA Today, Wall Street Journal and The Times Picayune).
Parking is pricey ($25-35), like most hotels in the French Quarter, which led to our decision to not drive in. Everything is within walking distance once you get there, and the trolley is one block away if you need it and the lobby will call a taxi if you need that too.
There is an on-site restaurant but we didn't eat there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krush70
ATL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

Arrived in NO on Wed 6/17/09 to celebrate my 35th birthday & attend a friends wedding on Sat 6/20. Woke up the first morning (thursday - my birthday) and the shower did not work. Called the front desk @ 7 AM and was told someone would be up to check it out. Called again at 8 AM and was told just wait 10 more minutes. Finally, went down at 8:30 and was told that "maintenance" would not be in until at least 9 AM. They moved us to a different room & then as we were about to start showering someone knocked on the door & told us that it was a handicap room & we could not stay - after we moved our own luggage up 2 floors....We were told that we could take a room with no windows or return to our original room...NO THANKS!!!. Moved the luggage back down to our original room & left for the day. The shower was fixed when we returned. We then noticed that there was no airconditioning. Told the front desk that day (thursday). Told them again on Friday & Saturday & Sunday & Monday...... The explanation from the hotel was that "New Orleans was experiencing a heat wave that week" - would that not be all the more reason to make sure that your paying guests had AC?? Checked out Tuesday & paid the $677 bill. Oh, and there was chex-mix mashed into the blankets on the bed, I kid you not, chex-mix - makes you wonder when the room was last cleaned? I travel to New Orleans on average every other year & I have never experienced a worse hotel than this. I have prob stayed in at least 20-30 other hotels & chains in the New Orleans metro area, so I do have reference points. I'm not hard to please, I just expect the basics. Very Very disappointed with the hotel & the final bill. Save your money & stay somewhere else. Not a great way to win back the tourist business in my opinion.......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buffaloerik
Friendswood, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

First, let me preference this by saying whenever I visit a tourist city like New Orleans my expectations for a hotel are quite simple since my goal is not to hang around the establishment. Having said that, my stay was excellent. I got an extremely good walk-in rate for a one night stay. The staff was nice and helpful considering the large crowds attending the Essence Festival during a holiday weekend.

A Few Positives:
- Large clean room (Room 410)
- A few blocks from the French Quarter
- Close to Riverwalk Shopping

Negatives:
- Fire Station across the street
- Police Station a few blocks away
- Sirens can be heard in the city view room, however, since we enjoyed the beverages in the French Quarter after a few minutes I was asleep and didn't hear a thing :-)

I did not pay for parking as I left my vehicle with a relative who works across the street at the Fire Station.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

After walking around Canal St. for a few hours, we called to book a room.We had a coupon that we had picked up at the Welcome Center for $59. They took down our info and held us a room. Since my friends & I were splitting the bill, we asked to pay in cash. I had to give my card for the night and then pay cash at checkout. I was told my card would not be charge, however I checked it the next day and it had been charge $25. I asked at check out and was told I could apply it to the bill or be refunded. I just wish they had told us up front. Other than that our stay was great!

The valet parking was nice, and they brought our bags straight up to the room. Considering the size of the elevator, this was a great help. Our room was 418 which was down a series of hall ways and was windowless. Taking in to consideration how old the building is this was not an issue.It added to the charm.

The saltwater pool was warm, but hey, after walking around New Orleans in June, it was heaven! The beds were great & clean!!
Bathroom was clean.

All in all, a great place to stay. Alot of reviews on here say the staff was horrible, but we had no problems with them.Guess it depends on the guest as well as the staff to make it a good experience!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends