“Exactly What I Was Looking For”
Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #56 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed May 7, 2005

You should never stay in a chain hotel in New Orleans. There are too many great local hotels, such as Bienville House. It is alot like New Orleans, on the old side and a little rough around the edges. However, it has a charm that you won't get at the Marriott or Hilton.

The room was just fine, though the wallpaper was peeling and the chair was stained. The Mississippi River view was nice. I did not hear any street noise like some others have described. The bed was the best, with a nice light comforter. I tried the wireless internet, but could not get a strong enough signal to log on. That old, slow elevator just goes with the territory.

The Decatur Street location is outstanding. Great restaurants are just steps away, and the bustle of Bourbon Street is only three blocks away.

If you get a good Internet rate, the Bienville House is hard to beat in New Orleans.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank GAHighRoller

Reviewed April 29, 2005

Very little to recommend. I chose to stay here during JazzFest because I wanted something in the Quarter and like older, non-chain hotels. I used many of the reviews here to guide me. I should have looked more carefully. The staff was not friendly or helpful and my wife and I are very easy going people and usually can make the best of things. The elevator is incredibly slow or not running (2 different times during our stay - once they would not let us use the stairs because of "security"!!). The noise from outside the hotel was ridiculous in the morning and evening. The room was fairly decent sized and had a nice bed but the thermostat was non-functional - you had your choice of 62 degrees blowing nonstop on the bed or shutting it off - not the greatest choice in NO at any time of the year. In short - keep looking, I have stayed in many hotels in NO and this was hands down the worst.

6  Thank WillyBlueJay
Reviewed April 28, 2005

I really enjoyed my stay at Bienville House. At the end of seemingly endless walking around the quarter, it was delightful to see it's charming entry awaiting me and my tired feet. My room was beautiful, with a window, balcony, huge bed and fainting couch. However, I have to warn you all, that I booked through Hotels who promised me a room with a window. Calling Bienville House to verify my room with a window, they told me that Hotels couldn't guarantee me a room with a window, but they would do their best. I was lucky, but I assume others were not! So, don't stay here unless you book through the hotel and get your window and balcony! Also, if you want to be somewhere quiet, forget it. This hotel backs up to a public parking lot and is across from the House of Blues. I can sleep through anything, so I didn't really care, but I could imagine other people being very annoyed. I found the staff to be very nice, housekeeping did a great job, the restaurant staff were fun, but they were all very "laid back." I am a little more used to the staff at hotels for business travelers, who bend over backwards to help you solve any issues you have. I kid you not, when I say I had to beg to borrow a pair of scissors. They also looked at me like I was from mars when I asked them to help me ship something home. I think this is fairly typical of the NOLA attitude - nice but not overly concerned. Lastly, the location is good if you are going to Bourbon St., the Aquarium, Riverwalk, etc. However, if you are interested in the fancy shops and the "authenic" beautiful part of the quarter, aim to be closer to Jackson Square. It looks close on the map, but it's a good walk, and the streets are so congested, public transportation is kind of a joke. Wherever you want to be, plan on walking there.

Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank traveltruthteller
Reviewed April 21, 2005

We were ready to cancel our 5 nights at the Bienville house due to the death of my Dad. Knowing how hard he tried to rally and get better so we could go, we opted to go anyway. The turning point was sweet Jasmine , the reservation manager, would genuinely gave us her sympathies and told us " the Bienville would take care of us". We finally met her on our last day. Thank you to the gentle care the staff gave us. The bellman checked on us daily.
A terrific , clean,clean clean room. Noisy with the French Quarter going on but it reminded us that LIFE goes on. We love New Orleans and the energy. The Bienville house was the perfect tonic to get us through a tough time.
The restaurant is independent of the hotel and the food was great. Breakfast was good but coffee tooooo slow coming. Waitress was great and helpful.
We used the 4th floor deck for a glass of late night wine under the stars. It was nice although we felt we might be intruding on the guests up there.
Elevator was sooooooo slow and frustrating. We took the stairs often or made light of it with the other guests.
We will return.

2  Thank AuntieMartha
A TripAdvisor Member
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed April 21, 2005

our family of four stayed the Easter weekend at this hotel and were surprised at the lack of quality for the price.
The sheets had stains on them, bathroom was dirty & old and there was trash along the bottom of the beds and behind the bedside table.
Carpet was filty.
Worst of all, THE NOISE LEVEL WAS UNBEARABLE !!! Brochure & online pictures show rooms with balconies, no balcony!
Parking is extra and if you are not happy with your stay and want to leave early, they charge you an early checkout fee !
They brag on the renovation they just had. Our family can only wonder what condition was this place in before undergoing such a huge renovation they speak of.
I think they spent it on wall paper and carpet.

We have lived in New Orleans & have also visited many times since moving away. The online pics of this place drew us in and the brochure was nice, but don't let it fool you.
NEVER again will we stay there!!!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2005

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Bienville House. We found it to be a very nice expreience. We did not book a suite but were given one upon arrival. However, the suite did not have any windows and was a bit stuffy. I have bad allergies and asked to be switched to a room with fresh air circulation. There were no other rooms available that night but 1st thing the next morning we were switched. We were on the top floor which opened up to the rooftop. It had a very nice patio with tables, plants and flowers. The walls are a bit thin and our neighbors for 1 night were very noisy. We did not complain as it is New Orleans, a great party town. The Hotel location could not be more perfect. You are right in the middle of it all. The hotel has great N.O. charm. Definately not a modern skyscraper type hotel but once you've been to the town and fall in love with the charm it is the type of hotel you would you like to stay in. The staff was very nice and never rude. Beverly at the front desk always had a smile and a hello and always asked if everything was OK. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant so I cannot comment on that.

Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank tara88
Reviewed April 11, 2005

THE PROS: 1. Great, ENORMOUS, shared balcony that allowed us to visit with another family we were traveling with. 2. Location

Depending on who you are it's a PRO OR CON: 1. The clientele: the hotel was mostly booked with tour groups of senior citizens.

THE CONS: 1. Full Size Beds: Either you get a room with one king or a room with two full size beds. My husband and I were laughable as we tried to fit onto this tiny bed (the kids had the other one or we'd have skipped the joy of each others company). 2. We kept getting complaints from the staff that we were too loud. We had two of the rooms on the top floor with an enormous shared balcony which just happens to be over someone elses room. This is just poor design because if we only hung out a little bit on the balcony it was unbearabley loud for the people below us (apparently). 3. Very small, very, very basic bathroom. 4. Cold staff - definitely not southern friendly. 5. Extremely aggressive sell on a swamp tour before we had even unpacked - even going so far as to follow us to our room. 6. Downright rude staff in the restaurant - we ended up walking out so we never sampled the food. 7. Had to park at another hotel 8. The housekeeper left us a note one morning and it read "Sorry :) I couldn't make your bed because you had personal items on it." Personal items being two sweatshirts and a child's notebook... you be the judge. From then on we made sure to pre clean the room for her before we left.

7  Thank NestorMitrea