“Warning - Full Size Beds”
Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #55 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 11, 2005

THE PROS: 1. Great, ENORMOUS, shared balcony that allowed us to visit with another family we were traveling with. 2. Location

Depending on who you are it's a PRO OR CON: 1. The clientele: the hotel was mostly booked with tour groups of senior citizens.

THE CONS: 1. Full Size Beds: Either you get a room with one king or a room with two full size beds. My husband and I were laughable as we tried to fit onto this tiny bed (the kids had the other one or we'd have skipped the joy of each others company). 2. We kept getting complaints from the staff that we were too loud. We had two of the rooms on the top floor with an enormous shared balcony which just happens to be over someone elses room. This is just poor design because if we only hung out a little bit on the balcony it was unbearabley loud for the people below us (apparently). 3. Very small, very, very basic bathroom. 4. Cold staff - definitely not southern friendly. 5. Extremely aggressive sell on a swamp tour before we had even unpacked - even going so far as to follow us to our room. 6. Downright rude staff in the restaurant - we ended up walking out so we never sampled the food. 7. Had to park at another hotel 8. The housekeeper left us a note one morning and it read "Sorry :) I couldn't make your bed because you had personal items on it." Personal items being two sweatshirts and a child's notebook... you be the judge. From then on we made sure to pre clean the room for her before we left.

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank NestorMitrea

Reviewed April 4, 2005

I spent 3/31-4/4 here. Checked in and was suprised that I was given a suite, even though I booked through hotel. The hotel reminded me of the Monteleone or the Omni Royal except on a smaller scale...no ballrooms
or grand lobby, but the feeling was the same. Its located on the fringe of the quarter and close to the casino, which was great for me. No problems with street noise, but I had a room that wasn't near the street. Being an older hotel it does have its creaks and noises, but the noise didn't bother me. And I always travel with earplugs and noise cancelling headphones just in case. Had to let the front desk know the day before to get a taxi back to the airport, but they were waiting for me in the lobby when I checked out. All things considered, its a great smaller hotel that has all the feel of the quarter, from the narrow streets and crowds, and a great location. I'll spend more time there if I get a chance. (and there is an Irish bar next to the firehouse just across the street within stumbling distance of the front door of the hotel)!!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank Michigander7
Reviewed April 3, 2005

We stayed at Bienville House 3/29 thru 4/1, 2005. Room 377 was lovely for us. It is overlooking Decatur Street - a little noisy but did not bother us at all. Beautiful balcony! Could listen to jazz from Satchmo's Place on the first floor. Hotel is a five minute walk from the Mississippi and Jackson Brewery. Very convenient location. Restaurant is small but food is very good and reasonably priced. (Try the Shrimp Creole). We would definately return to Bienville House.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank Linda530
Reviewed April 3, 2005

Eight of us went to Bienville house for a bachelorette party. We had two adjoining rooms. The rooms were large enough to accomodate us and our luggage for a 4-day stay. The bathroom was also spacious to hold all of our products. We were on a budget, so we did not opt for a private balcony. To our surprise, every three rooms share a common courtyard.
The place is clean and the bed is as comfortable as Starwood's Heavenly Bed.
The elevator is slow, but we did not encounter any problems.
The hotel has a great location. I would definitely stay there again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank tbeth
Reviewed March 22, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Bienville House in March, 2005. Here’s some info for anyone considering this hotel:

I believe this can be categorized as a “boutique” hotel. I’m not sure who dreamed that phrase up, but I think it kind of fits. Is there a 12-person Jacuzzi, a five-star restaurant, and a full-service day spa? No. But there’s a really nice little pool, a decent place to eat, and based on the overall niceness of the staff, I’d bet you could probably talk one of them into giving you a backrub if you really needed one.

We stayed on the third floor in a room overlooking the river-side of the city. I believe there are four floors total. Some have small balconies that overlook the courtyard and the pool. These look really nice, but I believe they allow smoking in the courtyard, so if you’re not a smoker you may find these rooms a poor choice depending on the updrafts.

The room was surprisingly big, and the king bed was fantastic. It’s one of those beds that made us want to see if we could buy it and ship it home. Granted, we were pretty much three-sheets to the wind two out of our three nights there, so a bed of broken glass would have been sufficient given our state. Still, I think it’s safe to say the bed was excellent. The TV was small, and given the size of the room it was far away, but this didn’t bother us.

There were two chairs we could have pulled up and sat in if we really wanted to watch TV. Otherwise, unless you’re Mr. Magoo, you can see the TV fine from the bed.

The bathroom was basic enough. Usually my only criteria is if I hit my knees when I have to “sit”, or if I have to contort my body to get to the TP. Neither was the case, so it was fine with me. However, given that this is New Orleans, if you’re the party-type that needs plenty of room to allow you to kneel down in front of the Porcelain Altar after a long night out, you may be disappointed.

Now, the noise outside the river-side of the hotel can be substantial. Like most places, it’s inevitable that some dude who has decided that it’s perfectly OK to drop more money on a car audio system than his car is even worth will go by your window. The resulting deep-bass “wump, wump, wump” will be heard clearly. As will busses, garbage trucks, and traffic in general. You have to have ear plugs, or you have to drink heavily (or sleep like Fred Flintstone). We didn’t have a problem (see “three sheets to wind” comment above), even on the one night we dried out.

There’s a view out over a parking lot across the street, and the river in the distance. I wouldn’t go as far as to say there’s a “water view”, but still, you can see things like boat traffic, the Natchez, etc. And if you’re a train buff you can catch the occasional freight train as it goes by (see “earplugs” reference above).

There’s free wireless Internet, which is kind of nice. It was sporadic, but that could have been my laptop. It helped with looking up restaurant reviews.

The staff? We didn’t encounter a single rude or unhelpful person. Most were exactly the opposite. But then again we expect that when heading south…it’s one of the reasons we go!

The restaurant was fine. Actually, on the day we ate lunch there, we were surprised it wasn’t more crowded. Pretty much every other place in the area was. Part of the reason may be that the windows are mostly covered by the curtains. C’mon, people! We want to people-watch!! Bet if they opened those puppies up they’d attract more folks. Anyway, it was a little pricey, but good (then again we had three drinks each, so that added to the cost for sure).

The elevator is small, and painfully slow to respond. We usually took the stairs down, so it wasn’t much of an issue.

The location was key for us. I think it’s in a great location. Everything is right there. You’re kind of tucked away in a corner of it all, which is excellent.

Miscellaneous stuff – There’s a coffee maker (always a nice touch), an ironing board, an extra pillow (four total in our room), and the sink/mirror area is separate from the toilet/shower. You can get room service if you want some morning coffee, juice, food, etc. They serve throughout the day, but I forget the exact hours.

Would we go there again? Yup, in a heartbeat. Would we want anything changed? Hmmmmm…yeah, open those curtains up in the restaurant so we can look out! Other than that, the place was fine.

20  Thank gfak
A TripAdvisor Member
TN
Reviewed March 15, 2005

From these reviews, I see Bienville House has not changed much in 14 yrs. When we stayed there, construction was going on one time, and we could not sleep, had to be moved to another room. Next time, we had an expensive suite which was overpriced. I like Royal Sonesta better.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Villanova, PA
Reviewed March 13, 2005

We stayed at the Bienville House from February 25th to 28th. The room was spacious with a beautiful view of the Mississippi River. Can't beat the price, especially considering the location; it is within walking distance of everything in the Quarter.

There were a few less than perfect moments, however. The gentleman at the front desk was rather rude. The restaurant insisted on keeping the door to the street open at all times, even when the temperature outside was cold. But the best (worst) of all was when my husband was trapped in the hotel's tiny elevator for 20 minutes with seven women, one of whom went into labor waiting for the fire department to rescue them. All and all, a memorable experience.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member