“Not very good”

Bienville House
Ranked #55 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
TN
Reviewed March 15, 2005

From these reviews, I see Bienville House has not changed much in 14 yrs. When we stayed there, construction was going on one time, and we could not sleep, had to be moved to another room. Next time, we had an expensive suite which was overpriced. I like Royal Sonesta better.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Villanova, PA
Reviewed March 13, 2005

We stayed at the Bienville House from February 25th to 28th. The room was spacious with a beautiful view of the Mississippi River. Can't beat the price, especially considering the location; it is within walking distance of everything in the Quarter.

There were a few less than perfect moments, however. The gentleman at the front desk was rather rude. The restaurant insisted on keeping the door to the street open at all times, even when the temperature outside was cold. But the best (worst) of all was when my husband was trapped in the hotel's tiny elevator for 20 minutes with seven women, one of whom went into labor waiting for the fire department to rescue them. All and all, a memorable experience.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Palm Beach
Reviewed March 11, 2005

My friend and I visited NO for a week. We stayed at the Bienville House and it was just great. Oddly, our third floor room was a little noisy...seems that there was a hallway over our room. The staff at the hotel was terrific. Our room was beautifully decorated and very clean. We paid about $900 for six nights.

We took the airport shuttle, but wouldn't do it again. We were crammed with 8 other people and stopped at 5 hotels. Next time, we'll take a cab. We didn't rent a car and there was no need for it.

We loved NO, the French Quarter, the trollies, the horse carriages, the Mint, the Supreme Court, the food, the music and the people. The $10 walking tour was terrific (booked at Jackson Square).

The Louisiana Swamp Tour was a bust for me. The guide read from a SCRIPT and we could not understand his mumblings. When asked questions, he answered with one or two words. We learned very little about the bayous and swamps. For two of us, the trip cost about $100.

Marti Gras exhibit, part of Louisiana State Museum off Jackson Square was a totally great exhibit!! Don't miss it - and be sure to allow enough time.

Hint - carry a lot of one dollar bills and fives for tips. You will need quite a supply.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2005

My husband and I have been to New Orleans 6 times. This was our first stay at the Bienville House. We booked an extremely good price on an internet site. When we walked into the room, we were giddy about the balcony we had on the street side. Our delight didn’t last long. As mentioned in other reviews, there are a total of three bars located across the street as well as a Fire House. Two of four nights we found it very difficult to sleep because of the noise.
We had to park at Bienville House’ sister property, the Monteleone (a gorgeous hotel), a block and a half from the Bienville House. Other minuses were the room was not very clean with dirt, dust and hair throughout. The desk staff was not very friendly – not rude, but very curt. If you expect a top notch professional staff that is service and customer driven, look elsewhere.
The pluses included a tremendous value through an internet site. I had called the hotel directly to book the same rate and was told they book the majority of the rooms through 3rd party sites and could not match the internet rate which I found strange. Other positives included the location and the balcony which was nice to sit and watch the world go by. We were surprised that there was wireless internet available. This was not advertised on their website as being generally available, so check ahead. There is also a lovely courtyard and pool on property, although it was too chilly for us to enjoy.
In reading other reviews, I suspect that the rooms are hit or miss. Some rooms do not have windows; others are exposed to street noise and loud music. The bottom line is I would stay here again if I could get the same price and a windowed room off the street.

• Stayed: March 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2005

Stayed here for 3nights from Feb20th2005 and was very satisfied.The location is superb,near the river front,in the French quarter but just far enough away from Bourbon Street,which I found a little noisy and tacky for my taste.The rooms were very comfortable and tastefully decorated and the restuarant is top class.I found the staff extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and I must give a special mention to Adrienne & Beverley who were helpful beyond the call of duty and seamed to genuinely relish the task.The only thing that stopped me giving this hotel 5 spots is the lifts -they are far too slow and far too small.
P.S.Check out the Louis Armstrong tribute band on-site-I don't even like jazz but I loved their performance

• Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank stennydave
New Jersey
Reviewed February 26, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Bienville House from Feb. 21st through Feb 25th (M - F) Monday through Wednsday were great. The hotel is in a great location, quiet street but central to everything. The room was clean and pleasant and we were very happy.

Thursday night, when we went to sleep, we discovered that there was a grand opening to a new dance club directly across the street. The entire night was spent tossing and turning to the sounds of techno and the dj urging the customers to do shots. We chose the Bienville House so that we would have some quiet at night. It doesn't seem like that will be the case for it's guests anymore.

We also had some miscommunications with the front desk regarding late check out and wireless internet. We were told the wrong information both times. We were told we had to use dial up and accrued 30 dollars in phone charges when we could have been using wireless. The hotel did accomodate and credit us the charges but the front desk had an attitude the entire time and never apologized.

All in all, we still enjoyed our stay but I couldn't imagine that we would have gotten any sleep if that club had been open from the first day we were there.

• Stayed: February 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2005

This is a gorgeous hotel with lots of potential and in a great location. However, they need to do some work in the area of "critter control." My first night there while sitting in bed, a mouse ran from the closet into my bathroom and then back again. I called the front desk and they sent someone up after about half an hour. Needless to say, the mouse was nowhere in sight by then.

After a sleepless night, I decided I would give it another try and hope that the mouse had moved on to someone else's room! The next day I awoke to find a huge roach in the tub. These are the sort of things you never see at the Marriott or Hyatt so I checked out that day and moved to a large hotel on Canal Street.

You expect a certain amount of "charm" when staying in the quarter, but cleanliness and "critter control" should not be compromised. The management of this hotel offered no compensation or even much in the way of apologies. This must be a common occurrence for them to be so nonchalant about it.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled on business