“Absolutely amazing hotel in the heart of the French Quarter”
Review of Bienville House

Bienville House
Ranked #55 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing hotel in the heart of the French Quarter”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

First of all up, this was a slightly more expensive hotel then we were hoping to book, but our hand was forced by availability given this was Wrestlemania week which is why we were here! However, for the price we paid there were absolutely no complaints with the quality on offer. Firstly the location is terrific, on Decatur Street which is in the heart of the French Quarter. It is walking distance from Bourbon Street, but not too close meaning you can still have some peace and quiet away from all the partying! Canal Street, one of the main streets in New Orleans is also just a few minutes away, as is the river front and river walk.

The room was a very good size with comfortable beds, comfy chairs, a desk, TV and a safe. Although there wasn’t a window in the room, there was plenty of lighting in the room from all the lamps and shades. You get a complimentary bottle of water on arrival, but only on your first day!

The bathroom is what you would expect from a hotel of this calibre, it was very clean and has everything you need.

The hotel offers a light complimentary breakfast of tea / coffee and a selection of muffins and cakes which were absolutely delicious. Similarly there was a selection of cookies and a lemon drink in the afternoon which also was very refreshing.

The main negative for the hotel is the single elevator, which you can end up waiting a while for and is also very small. However, there are no stairs for the guests, so even though we were only on the 3rd floor we had to wait for the elevator each time.

Overall I would strongly recommend Beinville House as an excellent place to stay in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Be sure to take advantage of the amazing complimentary muffins at breakfast and cookies in the after...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in April. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Hebrew first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I wasn't expecting too much as we were due to arrive during Jazz Fest, and there weren't many hotels available, so I was pleasantly surprised when I checked into Bienville House. The staff are very friendly and accommodating, our room was nicely furnished, clean and of a comfortable size. A continental breakfast was also included in the room price.

Located only a couple of blocks from Bourbon street, we had a variety of dining, bar and shopping choices, however, once in our room, we did not hear a sound from the street.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria Z
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
We are so pleased that you found the Hotel Monteleone to be so comfortable, clean and friendly. We certainly agree! We look forward to seeing you again soon in NOLA!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a lovely boutique hotel situated in a quite but convent spot in the French quarter. There is a lovely courtyard where you can eat breakfast and they also have a small bar. The decor is quite traditional but the rooms are comfortable and the beg was huge!! We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Bienville House and took the time to share your great experience with TripAdvisor. Please return soon to the Bienville House for another great trip!
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed 4 nights and every night was very noisy. You can hear everything from outside the street and there's plenty of partying and yelling. Breakfast was poor. All frozen and packaged. Not a nice place to sit down at. Room was nice and clean. Friendly at reception but I would not go back because its not the best price for what you get.

Room Tip: Don't get room facing Decatur St. Or get a higher than second floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Bienville House.

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.

We value your patronage and hope that on your next visit to New Orleans you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you deserve.
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I took my girlfriend on her first tour of New Orleans this past week. We only had one night and day, so I wanted to find a nice little hotel to give her a taste of the city. I've stayed in the typical chain hotels in the city, but I had yet to stay at the Bienville House. I really wish I had discovered this place sooner. The entire place was gorgeous and in the perfect location. Conveniently located just across the street from Landry's Seafood (another place I recommend), you can park your vehicle for the duration of your stay in the hotel's private parking garage and walk the French Quarter.

The decor was perfect for the area. We stayed in a deluxe king room, which was beautiful. Since it is a historic hotel, it does come with the eccentricities of any old home/hotel. In my opinion, that just adds to the charm. I loved everything about the room. The pool was incredible, as well. Very small, but very private and relaxing. There are towels out by the pool for guests, along with tables and lounge chairs. There's even an ATM at the pool. Very convenient so you don't have to find one out on the town.

I only have two very small complaints, and they both revolve around a couple of staff members. The morning we were leaving, there was a knock around 10 am for housekeeping. I politely said no thank you, but she didn't hear me and knocked again. So I basically yelled it but still politely to make sure she would hear. My girlfriend and I were not appropriately dressed at the moment, so I didn't want to go to the door. She apparently did not hear me say no thank you the second time, and she opened the door. While we were not naked, we weren't fully dressed. Instead of being professional and quickly apologizing before backing out of the room, she just yelled "Oh Lord!" and immediately started talking to a coworker outside in the hall about the incident. We could hear her through the door. That showed a complete lack of professionalism on her part.
The other complain came just at noon, which is the checkout time. My girlfriend was running just a few minutes behind on packing her things, so I called down to the front desk and said that I was very sorry but we were running just a few minutes late with checking out. While I understand the checkout time is in place for a reason, I also know that the cleaning staff can't be in every single room at noon to clean for the next guests and there must also be a little bit of flexibility. The lady I spoke with at the front desk said "Um, it's already 12:03." I apologized again, because I did like the other staff and loved the hotel. However, I could have done without the attitude.

Aside from those two small incidents, the stay was perfect. I will come back to stay again. I just hope the professionalism I experienced with the majority of the staff can spread to those two individuals who apparently don't understand that aspect of customer service.

Room Tip: Some rooms have bath tubs. Some have walk-in showers. Be sure to state your preference when booking...
1 Thank prkr485

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope to see you back at the Bienville House soon!
New York
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We got married in early March and stayed at the Bienville House with most of my family and some friends, and it was perfect. The Sales people we worked with (Isabelle and Maggie) were very helpful and responsive. And the hotel employees were top notch; Miss Beverly and Miss Cynthia were amazing, they were so nice and helpful to my friends and family and they really made our wedding weekend a truly special experience. The location is perfect, very close to everything and the hotel has a lot of character with many unique rooms with patios and the pool/courtyard area is all about New Orleans charm. We couldn't have had a better time!!

Room Tip: The hotel website photos need improvements, they don't have enough to show the differences betwe...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you found the Hotel Monteleone to be so comfortable, beautiful, and friendly. We certainly agree! We look forward to seeing you again soon in NOLA!
South Lyon, MI
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We made a reservation really early through this hotels booking site since Easter time is so popular. I wanted a room with a balcony. We got it but the bed size was double (2 doubles), which seemed to be the only room type I could get with a balcony. Given this was a romantic, birthday gift trip for my husband he was not overjoyed. But the room was spacious and bathroom excellent. Maid service was not all that great--missed items on the refills even though we had tipped. Breakfast was no more than muffins/bagels/coffee. Apples were only fresh fruit option and the skins were tough. Server hovering over the coffee urns was very sweet and nice--definitely worth a tip. The staff at consierge and front desk were nice but did not offer many dinner options or literature for us tourists new to NOLA. They kept pushing one or two places and because I have a shellfish allergy, I needed more expert advice than what they knew I guess. I had to wing it with choosing a place to eat. Our first room (#208) was weird. As soon as we settled in, unpacked for the 5 nights and returned from our lunch, the ventilation system for the restaurant kicked in and our room vibrated dramatically all night. The staff said we were above the hotel restaurant venting system and did not offer immediately to help us out. The next morning early I insisted they find a room without that problem. So eventually they called back and found a similar room across courtyard from 208---222. No upgrade for our trouble and the internet in our room never worked properly in that new room. Internet was dodgy anyway I think because so many people were on at same time. We complained and all the desk clerk offered was that the service was functioning properly and so it might be our devices. I think not. I think they have a limited system. We avoided the hotel restaurant because the menu was way too high price and options for me (allergy) were very limited. Only one small elevator at the back of the tiny lobby so it was occupied quite alot. It did work and almost too fast with the doors closing on people. The hotel location is great, and right next to a great handmade candy shop! The Fire House across the street was NOT a problem at all. I had worried when I saw that. I think they must have an agreement with the hotels nearby to keep off the sirens. The pool was icy cold--not heated as promised so I only put my feet in at the edge. The courtyard is tiny and a bit disheveled all the time.

Room Tip: Avoid room 208 and any room above restaurant. Chose room with doors opening to courtyard, no balcony...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.