“Lovely Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Bound Brook, New Jersey
“Lovely Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

Having only stayed at some of the larger hotels in New Orleans, we decided to try a smaller boutique hotel this time. We had booked a fourth floor sundeck room and I'm very happy we did. The weather was lovely all week and we really made good use of the sundeck. We had a table and chairs and there were lots of beautiful plants all over the deck.

Upon arrival at 2:00, our room was not ready. We were told they would call us when it was ready, but by 5:00, still no call. We didn't mind the wait as we just strolled around the French Quarter while we waited. We decided to go back and check on the room and it was ready once we got there. The room as a nice size, especially considering how small some of them can be in the FQ. The room was very clean, although in need of some refurbishment. It is an old building though. The carpet was very stained, but it did seem to get vacuumed every day. We did have a problem with not getting enough towels. There were 3 of us and we only received 2 bath towels, so we had to consistently ask for more towels each day. Other than that, no problems with housekeeping.

The room was relatively quiet, facing the river side of the building. We did hear the occasional horn of a passing train, which in the middle of the night, was a bit loud.

The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The free continental breakfast was okay, but nothing special.

The beds were a bit soft for my liking and rather small.

Overall, a very nice experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bitsy822

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. The elevator is a little slow but it allows time for chatting with your travel companions. We rented the penthouse suite during Mardi Gras and loved the open space and private balcony. There is a small bar area with an ice machine - we enjoyed having fresh ice for our drinks. The stereo lacks depth in bass so you might want to bring your own IPOD docking station. The bed was comfortable, sleep was easy being within walking distance to Bourbon Street but far enough away to be quiet. The shower was amazing - so much water pressure. On arrival we enjoyed a complimentary bottle of champagne. The price was steep but worth it for this once in a lifetime experience. The pool in March is on the cool side. The courtyard is beautiful, a nice place to sit and enjoy the complimentary continental breakfast. We were allowed a late checkout and they held our luggage on check out pending our ride to the airport. I did not interact with or need much staff assistance but everyone was pleasant and gracious. On checkout you are allowed to print boarding passes free of charge from the computer in the small business area. All in all a great place! We will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

My girlfriend and I booked this hotel as a "2nd choice" whenever the hotel we were trying to reserve a room in, was booked up for the weekend.. I picked the hotel based on location and cost. After reading some of the reviews I was leery but booked the hotel non the less. When I arrived I was pleasantly surprised.. I was greeted by Cynthia who greeted me with a smile, let me know all about the hotel and continental breakfast, and showed me the walking map of the quarter. Check in was fast and I was in my room in a heartbeat. Our room was upgraded to a "Kings balcony" which faced a courtyard and the downstairs pool. The room was nice and clean but the carpeting was dirty like some people complained about, but this is an old hotel, and has a well worn feel and even has that "old antiques smell" and not in a bad way. Our hotel room had a beautiful 4 poster bed, high ceilings, crown molding, and decorated with large full length drapes in a floral pattern reminiscent of a plantation home. The bathroom was well appointed and clean as well. This Hotel is owned by the same family that owns the Monteleone and is a perfect Boutique hotel. Unlimited Valet parking is $20 a day but they park your car a few blocks away at the Monteleone, we found it more convenient to park at the pay lot on Decatur. it's $5 more a day but the car is just across the street. Location is perfect, blocks from Bourbon St. and the french market, and Cathedral. I can't say enough about this hotel, we loved it!! We have friends come in every year and the last few years we have stayed at different hotels but this next year we plan on staying again at the Hotel Bienville!!!

Room Tip: ask for balcony room, park in pay lot on Decatur.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

This was my second time staying here with a group of people doing Katrina rebuilding. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more appreciative of our efforts. The hotel is small but lovely and has a nice restaurant onsite. Location at the edge of the French Quarter is walking distance to the riverside, great entertainment, and great food.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

Things that were great about the hotel:
- Location - conveniently located on Decatur, but a few blocks from Jackson Square to drown out some of the noise
- Slept like a baby - didn't hear anything from adjoining rooms or the street (save the occasional cargo ship) - pretty amazing during Carnival season. I also didn't hear anything about me on the 4th floor, although my friend in the room next to me says he did hear things (rolling carts, people) above him. We were in room 369 and I didn't hear a thing.
- High ceilings in the hotel - didn't feel cramped at all
- Excellent water pressure in the shower & plenty of hot water
- The bed was SO comfortable

Things that were not so great:
- Breakfast was not so great - especially in Nola, where the food at all hours of the night & day is excellent. I think if I could find a comparable hotel for a bit less with no breakfast, that would be fine.
- We weren't visiting in the heat of summer, but we still ran the air a bit after a day of walking and it was sub-par. I think that, during July & August heat waves, the air unit might be a bit lacking. (But there is a pool to cool off in.)

Really, what made the hotel for me was the quiet nights and comfy beds. The fact that our room was pretty spacious was also a plus - many hotels in the quarter can be cramped (understandable, considering how old some of the properties are). After a couple days of parade watching, drinking, eating, and walking, this hotel was heaven.

• Stayed February 2011
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I really liked this hotel. At first, I wasn't sure because I had read some negative reviews on here but the price was really good and it seemed like a good location for us. I am glad we didn't change our minds. This place has a great location, it's just a few blocks from the craziness of Bourbon but far enough that you really can't hear it all night. Yes it's across from the fire house but it's more of an administrative station they don't run our of there all night. You can hear the boats at night on the river but that is kind of neat to me and it's rare that you hear them anyway. It's old so it's decorations are a little dated and it's just an old house so you need to get over that. The only major complaint was that it was difficult to regulate the temperature in our room. During the day it was always blazing hot and we had the heat off the whole time. The only minor issue we had was the breakfast....it's nothing fancy, continental at best but it was fine and it'll get you started on the day. The lady assisting was always a pleasure and the people at the desk were always handy with recommendations and advise, very helpful. The room itself was on the third floor facing the waterfront. It wasn't a great view but it was fine. This place really fitted our needs if you are looking to explore New Orleans and not really party all the time. It would definitely be worth staying here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nordrummer21
Lafayette, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

Bienville House in the French Quarter of New Orleans is owned by the Monteleone family who also have the Hotel Monteleone down the street; Bienville House is the cheaper alternative. Our first room was so cold, being that our stay was the first week of the coldest Frebruary I can remember ... that I asked we be moved despite an engineer "fixing" the problem. Two rooms later, we settled in to an adequate room for the price we paid. The continental breakfast downstairs could have been fresher and more imaginative, but the location on Decatur was good for walking the French Quarter and the staff was friendly. Still, I would someday like to stay at the Hotel Monteleone for the upscale experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends