“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #63 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York, NY
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed June 18, 2005

My friend and I just got back from staying here. We stayed June 14-18. We were so scared after reading some of the reviews - we even thought about changing to another hotel before our trip, but it was too expensive. We brought a towel and our own sheets - BUT WE DIDN't NEED THEM! The room was clean. The bed posts leaned a bit, but that didn't pose any problem. The bathroom was clean, the towels were great. The tv worked fine. As for the hotel itself. The lobby was beautiful, there is a computer set up in the lobby where you can check emails/go on the internet for free, and we enjoyed the pools. They are a bit on the small side, but trust me it doesn't matter when you're just hot and need to take a dip. The staff were very friendly and the night security man was really sweet. The hotel was very charming! There were murals of jazz greats painted on many walls in the halls. The continental breakfast consisted of bagels, biscuits, cereal, doughnuts, coffee, juice, and milk - very standard, but a great way to keep costs down. What we liked was that it was 2 blocks north of Bourbon so the street didn't stink like puke nor did we have much noise. The area is pretty safe - but just like anywhere you travel to excercise caution and use your judgment. One of the staff I spoke to told us that the owners have taken over the property in the last two years (before it was leased) because the previous leaseholders didn't keep it up and now they have been busy renovating everything. We truly enjoyed staying here and I would recommend it. I'll include my photos. One last tip - please go to the Quarter Scene restaurant which is a block away on the corner of Dauphine and Dumaine, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank BKTravelChica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 12, 2005

We stayed at the St. Pierre completely by chance. We luckily picked it after arriving at the Maison St. Charles and refused to stay since the pools and sauna were drained and the room was definitely below standard. Our room at the St. Pierre was small, but very up to date and appeared to have been recently renovated. I didn't meet anyone on the staff that wasn't extremely curtious and friendly. The pools are fairly small, but clean. The continental breakfast was also an added bonus. I definitely recommend this hotel. I hope you have the same experience with it as we did.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

Our small group had a very nice stay at the Hotel St. Pierre. The rooms varied in size, some where quite large others were a bit small. All rooms were clean and well kept. Some with new beautiful bathrooms others with ordinary ones. The breakfast was quite nice and the helpfulness of the staff a real plus+. The pools and courtyards are lovely for an afternoon rest and swim. We will be back before too long! L&M in FLA

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monterey Peninsula
Reviewed June 2, 2005

We moved to the St. Pierre at the end of an educational tour (staying at another Quarter hotel) because of cost savings, and had read Tripadvisor reviews ahead. They were so mixed (some loved it, some hated it), that I was sure there would be funky charm there.
The staff is very pleasant and helpful. The new owner (of ~two years) is gradually performing long-neglected maintenance and repairs. So, if you get the standard room, it may need work -- suites, etc. might have been beautified. The smaller pool area has a lovely large gardenia bush.
We had an upstairs standard room with a rear brick wall, and while it was quite dark, it was extremely restful (an obviously new mattress) for afternoon siesta time. The only irritant was an ancient AC unit working very hard to put out minimal cooling.

• Stayed March 2004
2 Thank zinlover
Reviewed May 17, 2005

The absolute worst experience I have ever had in my many years of traveling. This place was disgusting. I prepaid for 4 nights and left after the first because of the horrible conditions. You could probably do better staying at a homeless shelter. The room was filthy. Dead bugs were squished on the walls. Paint was peeling. The toilet ran constantly and the faucet dripped. There was no clock, no TV remote, no tub, just a dirty shower. The room was the size of a walk-in closet. The furnature was falling apart. The TV had to be at least 25 years old. The AC was not working properly. Management did nothing to try to rectify the situation. They would not refund my money. Avoid this hotel at all costs!!

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2005

I just left Hotel St. Pierre after spending a week here as part of a Travel Tourism Class. What can I say? The hotel St. Pierre is full of charm and has a wonderfully "New Orleans" Feel to it.

I liked this hotel a lot, regardless of the negatives my group encountered.

1) The place was dirty, not much to say here really, the carpet in my room turned my feet black, so I had to use towels as carpets to get dressed in the morning, other people in my group had issues with mystery stains on their bedsheets, and housekeeping didn't seem overly keen to fix the issue. Some folks were asked whether they wanted their room cleaned that day if they passed the housekeeper in the hallways, when they responded that they did, they felt that they got attitude. When the people requested clean sheets to replace mystery stained ones, they were told that the stains were "normal wear and tear" but the replacements were made for them. These problems could be fixed with just a bit of money spend on either a new cleaning staff (replaced with someone who cares maybe) or spend a few thousand bucks on getting the carpets shampooed more regularly...

That said, it is new orleans folks... if you are looking for a clean and pristine place, this may not be the city for you to visit...

2) Fixtures... they are a bit used... not surprising either really, their repairs are a little behind the times, and a bit more work into replacing/reparing damages would go a long way too. The toilet seat in my room was so old that the wood of the seat was showing (the paint had worn away in spots) The tilework in the bathroom was missing in places and my door to the hallway had at least a 4 inch gap between it and the floor... I didn't like the idea that someone laying on the floor could pretty much get a full view into the room. The air conditioner was placed in a window so you got to choose, AC with the neighbors watching you sleep/shower/change or to cover the AC with the curtains getting privacy but no cool air. Other folks complained of large bugs in their rooms and uneven floors and beat up room furniture.

3) Location. The hotel is located at the far edge of the "safe" french quarter area. People told us several times to not go past the hotel when coming from bourbon street. It is about 2 blocks past the end of the touristy area of bourbon street, and is about 3 blocks over from it. That said the blocks are small so bourbon st is only about 10 minutes away with decatur about 15. It is technically within walking distance of harrah's but not really, its quite a hike.

4) Rooms & Beds. I was very happy with the rooms I toured several of my classmates' rooms and they were all nice, and all completely different. The place has a lot of charm with 2 courtyards with small pools, and plenty of place to sit and enjoy a few drinks with some friends. My bed was also very comfortable

5) Staff other than the issue listed above, the staff here was excellent, very helpful, very courteous, and knowledgable about the area. The night security guard was the best night security guard I've met at any hotel property. He toured the grounds regularly, helped us find a member of our group, and escorted some of the ladies in our group to the nearest store when it was getting late one night, he was also extremely friendly and good to chat with.

Really getting right down to it this place could easily have gotten a 4 star rating from me, they just need to get it togther with their cleaning and fix some of the issues with the place... once they do that it will be probably the first place I reccommend to anyone who is looking for the real new orleans experience!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Scottsdale
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I'll start off by saying the staff was excellent to us!!! Everyone of them, from everyone at the front desk to the bell guy to the maid staff. Very nice!!!! We stayed for 4 nights over the last weekend of Jazz fest. The first night we had a room on the street level, right on Burngundy. The room was nice, brick walls, lot's of character. However, in the morning it was soooo loud, we felt we were actually sleeping on the street! Later that afternoon, we asked to be switched to another room and they gave us the room above the breakfast room by the pool. It was way quieter, and huge, full refrigerator, sink, couch, big bedroom, no door?? Not dirty, a little shabby, but so what, we were just sleeping there. It didn't smell or anything. We had a lot of other people staying at the hotel as well, so pool side cocktails were a lot of fun. The location was great.
You have to eat at the Clover!!! Funny place, and drink at Layfeats!!!

So, take it for what it's worth, it would be beneficial for them to upgrade the carpet, ours had a huge iron burn on it!!! LOL...But again, the sevice was really good, next year, I'd stay there again. I just wouldn't want a room on the ground level by the breakfast area by the pool, too loud!

• Stayed April 2005