WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel St. Pierre

Hotel St. Pierre
Ranked #77 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a good value for the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We reserved a room in this hotel because every single other hotel for 50 miles was full and because it was in the French Quarter. When we got there we found the room tiny (too tiny for anything but a bed and a chest of drawers) and the decor very worn and shabby. The wireless connection did not work in the guest room, when it worked at all. There was no hairdryer and no coffee maker in the room. We killed a large roach in the bathroom. If it were not for the location, this hotel would be able to charge no more than $50 per night. We changed hotels as soon as we could.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Hebrew first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Check in time for this hotel is listed as 3 pm. We came in after 3 to a very long check in process that was slow and took way too long. Towards what felt like the end the GSR looked across the lobby and asked if our room was ready to a housekeeper. She stated it was; however, when we went to the room they assigned us, I walked into a room with a man passed out asleep in the middle of the bed. I slammed the door out of embarrassment and went back to the front desk and explained the situation. The housekeeper who showed us to our correct room was extremely nice and accommodating, but the two people at the front desk looked like it didn't seem to bother them that they sent us to a room where someone was already occupying it. We love this city and visit quite often so we weren't going to let this ruin our stay by any means. I do have to honestly say that while the location is amazing with everything within walking distance, the room is no where near as charming as they look online. There were stains on the sheets, hair matted to the shower wall, and water gathered under our bathtub which made it pretty uncomfortable to shower. Sorry to complain, but this hotel has such potential and definitely needs a positive change.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Chels1914

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Longview, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I waited until the very last minute before booking my trip to New Orleans and Mardi Gras this year. I have to admit I was sort of worried when I pulled up in front of the hotel, but that was quickly erased when Jonothan the valet met me with a kind smile and helped me unload my car. From that moment on my stay at St. Pierre was good. First I want to say the whole staff at the hotel was wonderful in giving me advice on what to see, where to go and just helping me out. I stayed in room 115. I know from reading the reviews people have bad mouthed this place, and I admit I was skeptical myself when I booked it. It is a old hotel that doesn't belong to any major chains, that I am aware of. I traveled solo and my room was perfect for it. If I had brought a travel partner, it might have been tight. The location is on Burgandy St. two blocks away from Bourbon Street. I think I read in a review about this hotel about the neighborhood being "sketchy" I didn't see anything that caused me any alarm when I walked through the neighborhood. I felt safe. Breakfast is basic. Coffee, Juice, milk, bagels, two choices of cereal (Frosted Flakes and Cruncheroos) and I think doughnuts. There are plenty of restaurants to eat at including the Clover Grill on Bourbon a straight two blocks from the hotel itself. I would stay here again if I had to. The only complaint I had was the wi-fi in my room did not work. I had to take my laptop to the dining area near the lobby to get on the net.

Room Tip: Adjacent to the hotel is a small grocery store. They even have a deli inside it. A place to remember...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Micah W
florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is certainly not a 3 star hotel! It was not the cleanest, the beds were old and uncomfortable, and not what we expected at all. Of course, you get what you pay for. On the positive side, it has free parking, and has been recently purchased and is slated for a major overhaul. Do not expect much!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a newer mattress.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Venice, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

The St. Pierre…while it’s in a great location just a bit off the beaten down Bourbon street path, it’s by far the worst hotel experience I’ve ever had. In town for a last minute Super Bowl trip we thought we found a diamond in the rough. Last room available in the entire city. It looked like a remodeled quaint boutique chalk full of Louisiana charm. PERFECT… or so we thought.

On day one, we woke up too early to a man pressure washing the outside of our cottage – doors, walls and windows. This was a bit odd and slightly alarming to say the least, but it’s New Orleans (shoulder shrug). Then I step into the bathroom to shower… no hot water. Not to mention, the non-existent water pressure. When I called the front desk to tell them they responded with, “we’re working on it.” Fine. “Do you have an eta on when we might be able to shower? Maybe in 15 minutes.” OK, cool. One hour later, the water went from freezing to maybe just melted ice cube temperature. We were a bit hung over and eager to take on Super Saturday in NOLA so we decided to tough it out. Polar plunge it is.

The next morning we awoke to a horrific smell. I traced it to the shower where I found raw sewage seeping up from the drain. Brown chunks floating in standing water. Come to find out the toilet was no longer flushing as well. So instead of calling I threw on some clothes and headed to the front desk. There I was told that the room was JUST renovated and WE must have flushed a face towel or beads down the toilet. I was completely horrified, but in hopes of actually getting a shower in a town with no open hotel rooms for miles, I stayed calm. I responded with, no sir I’m sure that’s not the case, since the only time we’ve spent in the room was for sleeping. Their maintenance man who resembled scrooge with a southern twist, came to the room to assess the situation. He then threw up his arms insisting that we broke the plumbing. Huffing and puffing he stormed away grumbling about how he would have to go rent tools, etc. Obviously ruining his entire day.

I went back out to the front desk in hopes of finding someone who was trained in the field of hospitality to find a toilet/shower to use while on our NOLA holiday. There I found scrooge sitting down reading a paper, ie not renting tools. I told the manager that this was unacceptable and tried to trouble shoot. Are there any rooms where people have checked out? ANYWHERE we could shower or even relieve ourselves. With complete disdain, they told me that there were no free rooms and stated that scrooge would repair the damage they were certain we caused.

Feeling at a loss and high from feces fumes, we sat in our 10’ x 15’ cell, errr room, trying to figure out a plan B. With a stroke of luck we found one open room that popped up on Hotwire (which was coincidentally the website that got us into Hotel St. Pierre)… Embassy Suites with a massive price gauge. At this point, well worth it!

While we were packing up our stuff Scrooge returned with what looked like a giant enema kit and a shop vac. Within 10 minutes the toilet was removed and plunked down between our clean clothes and the bed. Just a few feet away from Scrooge working away, I was packing my bag when I felt liquid spray on my arm and jacket. I looked up to see that Scrooge was definitely not a plumber! Shop-vac’ing at the base, where the toilet once sat, he forgot the out-take hose. Ironically, this mistake resulted in a high-pressure shower of human feces/urine. Hitting me, and all of our bags. I screamed, STOP! But Scrooge couldn’t hear me beyond the hum of the vacuum. So I did what anyone trapped in my situation would do, and dove into the closet to try and minimize damage. FINALLY after screaming at the top of my lungs he heard me and stopped. Shocked, I emerged from the closet. With no real apology, he stepped out of the room to let me clean up and cool off.

After two days without a proper shower added to the normal stench of New Orleans existence, this was the icing on the cake. The candle on top was the fact that they wouldn’t refund our money. “Third party billing.”

We asked them to call us a cab but that was apparently out of their skill set so we had to fend for ourselves. While sitting on the front stoop waiting for a taxi to randomly drive by, an employee came out to say, “Come back now y’all, you hear!”

No thank you. I’m not sure who St. Pierre was, but we can definitely cross off the patron saint of plumbing!!

Honestly, this is the first time I can ever claim that I was showered in poo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank hemingtontait
Glen Burnie, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

While I prefer boutique hotels for both charm and usually value, the St. Pierre was a little too little for my taste. Our room and the bed were tiny. It was cold and they provided a space heater that was very helpful.

The location is where this hotel shines...great walk to the area attractions and free parking. It was quiet for those who want to rest and get away from the action on Bourbon Street. Would I stay there again? Maybe. The neighborhood was perfectly safe and pleasant. The staff very friendly and helpful. I was gladly provided a late check-out. Breakfast was adequate, donuts, bagels and cereal...yet I ate my share of the tasty donuts provided! Coffee was good and strong.

All in all, the St. Pierre is not suitable for disabled or high-demand travelers due to narrow rooms/hallways/doors and the lack of amenities. That said, this is what living in the French Quarter is like and has been like for probably 200 years so it is an authentic experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shelandi
Biloxi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Wow! do not know how this hotel is on the Frenchinns.com site. It has a long way to go. staff was very nice. but the rooms suck. Yes we the reservations online it was last minute.
The room had a window unit , a 13 inch tv , 2 double beds.. when we got there the room was 85 plus degrees.. and we actually had to cut on the ac to get it to a decent temp in the room.
I am pretty sure that now the heater was on to try and dry the carpet . walking around our sock feet got filthy and icky damp. the bathroom sink was not attached securely to the wall. the bathroom shower /tub not the cleanest. the shower head was just a spicket ( translation no showerhead) .. there were no amenities at all. no fridge , iron or coffee maker and it is not because there is not room. parking is a joke. this was our 1st and last visit... good luck

Room Tip: don't know if there is one. ours was horrible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple