“Much character but a little lacking in cleanliness...”
Review of Hotel St. Pierre

Hotel St. Pierre
Ranked #61 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I love the old buildings and the feel of the quaint St. Pierre Hotel. However its age did show with scuff marks, dents in the walls, a tiny hole in the ceiling and spackling on the walls that hadn't been painted over-all in our room. Also, I tend to pay attenyion to cleanliness details and below eye level things were dusty-like baseboards and corners. Don't get me wrong, this hotel has its charms, but I wouldn't say it is 'top notch'. The staff, however, was extremely accomidating and helpful for our confusing first stay in New Orleans. So, if you are looking for a decent place to stay in a great location with a lot of character, then this hotel will do just fine!

• Stayed: June 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I'm very disappointed in this hotel. I understand old New Orleans buildings, but this is terrible! I needed a hotel close to my daughters performance arts school and found this on American Express travel. I booked a room for a week. The first room was decent, but too small. I asked to upgrade to a suite and this is the room they gave me. I paid around $170 a night for this suite. It has old outdated furniture, including one T.V. I asked for a T.V. in the bedroom and they said this room only has one in the sitting room. It is so hot here in the middle of summer and the air conditioner in the bedroom works, but the sitting room is like a oven! This room is dirty! The maids try do as best as they can, but the walls need repainting, floors need new carpet, and lots of cosmetic work need to be done! The swimming pools are dirty, and the continental breakfast was not the best. The staff is very nice, but the facilities need major help! I could have stayed at Place D'Arms, Prince Conti, Hotel St. Marie or even a chain for the same price!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Molah
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have read the other reviews here; all I can say is that we had a wonderful family vacation at the St. Pierre in March 2012. Our party consisted of four children, three adults, and two senior adults, spread over three different rooms. We were quite satisfied.

Sure, the rooms are old. This is an historic hotel, and this is reason that tourists choose to stay in the Quarter. One of our rooms was in former slave quarters. There are a lot of old details which cannot and should not be altered. Our bathrooms were newly remodeled. The air conditioning worked. And the rooms were quiet-- my own room was the closest room to the lobby. Everything was neat and clean. The WiFi was better than most hotels I've stayed in. We loved the charm, and the long, enchanted history of the hotel.

Burgundy Street (accented on the second syllable) is in the northern part of the Quarter, farthest away from the Mississippi River. It is therefore more quiet than other parts; it is also a further walk. The hotel has a security guard on duty most of the day and all of the night, which makes it feel more safe. The guards were always friendly to us, including our children.

Free parking is limited to a few spaces, and it is not likely that you will be one of the lucky ones. We had to park several blocks away. However, there is a loading zone that will allow you to check in and check out conveniently. (TIP: download and print coupons from centralparking that will cut your parking bills to $10 at the 1000 Iberville location in the old McCrory's. It's the closest, it's indoors, and it's monitored for security.)

The front desk was staffed by locals, and was helpful to us with all our needs. The continental breakfast was nothing special. However, the coffee is Community Club (delicious, local, and a couple of choices.) And our large family group used the breakfast room at night when we brought home dinner from a local deli in the Quarter.

I am an experienced New Orleans visitor, and I often stay at the Richelieu, which is another French Quarter hotel in the same category. The Quarter is old, and it dates to a time long before automobiles. If convenience and amenities are important, a visitor should stay in the suburbs, or be prepared to pay $300 nightly (or much more) for a major chain hotel down by Canal Place and the Riverfront. Parking can easily run to $40 per night on top of room charges. This is the context for my review of the St. Pierre.

The St. Pierre is a place where you can experience authentic New Orleans history and atmosphere for a more affordable price (we paid $109 plus taxes). When you make plans to visit the Quarter, you should use the same care that you would use in planning a stay in Manhattan or Paris. Space is expensive, parking is very tight, neighborhood roots go back for centuries, and suburban amenities are far away. With these considerations in mind, I think the St. Pierre is a great value, and I'd gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: It's 18th and 19th century construction, adapted to a modern hotel. Every room is completely di...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank CuriousExploreTravel
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

I would not recommend this place to anyone the place is so dirty and everything is so out dated the furniture looks like something you would find in a good will store the carpet is so worn out and dirty the curtains on the door are old and worn out the worse place we have ever stayed in our life we wouldn't even take our clothes out and put in the drawers we lived out of our suitcases while we were here. For the money it was terrible makes you wonder what they do with the money that make off people they sure don't use it to put back into the business to make the rooms better or to buy furniture just be aware it's nothing like the pictures on the Internet I would never ever stay here again if it was even the last place available I would just wait and come again when I could find a room somewhere else I was even afraid to go to sleep afraid of what could be crawling around on me while sleeping can't wait until I get home and take the hottest shower I can so I feel clean again

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Djowlo
Reviewed May 14, 2012

After travelling many miles, we were excited about going to New Orleans, we did our booking through Book-it.com. We were travelling throughout the U.S and had a loaded truck. We asked our agent to make sure there was secure parking as we just wanted to pack an overnight bag and leave our vehicle. It took us 6 hours to reach the hotel, when we arrived they had 'limited parking' that would be 10 spots for 160 rooms!!! The closest parking was 9-20 blocks away and it was public and unsecure. We decided we would bring our things up to the room, we requested a key to view. When we walked up the 2 flights we couldn't enter the room as our key did not work (also the attending did not know where the room was!!). Security was nice enough to come up and let us in using their skeleton key. We were horrified, the room had a used condom on the floor, was filthy!! and there was only room enough for the bed!! We were not able to bring our things up and were not accomodated with parking. We did not receive the best hospitality and were asked to leave the premises (as we were trying to figure out our parking situation). We would of stayed in the dirty room and enjoyed New Orleans, we were miss lead by our booking agent and could not leave our vehicle unattended in a public lot. The pictures on the internet look fabulous but the place is run down and non-accomodating. My advice is if you are driving make sure you have a secure parking spot and also ask to view the room before making your booking!! very disappointing as we were looking forward to enjoying the French Quarter!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RebbaBBB
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Very bad accomodations and extremely bad service...
This can be called everything but hotel.As guest I had one of my worst experience.
Bathrooms are dirty, my room was only cleaned once duriing the complete week I stay there.
When you call front desk , they won´t answer the phone.Very unfriendly atmosphere.
There are much better choices to stay in the french quarter.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SBPE
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I've read the mixed reviews of this place. I am picky, but also realistic in my expectations and reviews. Having read the reviews, I stayed here anyway. And...was very glad I did. This place is smaller, charming, and historic. If you want brand new and modern, maybe visit some other place than the historic french quarter? The room I had was small, but it was perfectly fine. When I first checked in, the a/c was off and the window open and the room was very hot. I was dreading trying to sleep later. But, they shut the window, turned on the fan and a/c and it actually got chilly to the point I had to put the blanket on that night! The bathroom was clean and nicely done with marble and stone finishes. There was plenty of hot water, towels were nice and thirsty, and there was plenty of room in the dressing area to get ready. The central courtyard was a great place to meet and wait for the rest of my party, enjoy coffee in the morning or a cocktail in the evening. The pool is small, but I would think on a hot day it would feel awesome and refreshing to take a dip. The continental breakfast is just that - if you want a large, full breakfast, go somewhere and get it. Coffee and food provided was great. The staff were always extrememly friendly and helpful. I really liked this location as it was away from the constant noise of Bourbon Street, yet very close to that and everything else in the quarter. Yes, parking is limited, but it is everywhere in the quarter as it's a small place with limited space in general. Most hotels charge for parking, but not this one. I loved the hotel and would stay again. Very charming and historic. Great french quarter experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends