“This snob is now a believer”
Review of The Joint

The Joint
Ranked #22 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I have never, in my life, eaten at a place that looks and feels like this place. It is one room with several unmatched wooden tables and chairs. As soon as you walk in, you place your order from a menu listed on the wall. I wanted to have hand sanitizer with me. The dress code, if any , would be ummm..none but OMG what GREAT food. And that is why we went there . My husband and I ordered the trio of pulled pork, ribs & brisket because we wanted to try all to decide which was our favorite. That meal, which included a side dish was a whopping $14. Out back we found the huge smoker where tthey were cooking the food. This place is small but excellent. We enjoyed it so much that we went to another restaurant ,in the Garden District, that was also highlighted on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

2  Thank Mastern

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We went on the rec of our shuttle driver from the car rental place. After a morning swamp tour, we decided to head to The Joint. As others have mentioned, the drive in, and the first appearance of the restaurant may have you on the fence, but don't hesitate for an instant.
Yes, it's small. Yes, it could be a bit cleaner. Yes, it is a little effort to get there. But...Yes, you will eat some of the best bbq that you may ever put in your mouth. I say some because my tour of the south is limited, and that is of course where the best bbq is reputed to come from, so I like to leave my future open to better. But, between our group we have eaten a lot of bbq and a lot of great food in general all over the country, and the world. With that being said, I would put the beef brisket from The Joint on the world stage against some of the best meats and preparations I have had anywhere of any kind. Don't get me wrong...the ribs may also be the best I have ever eaten...amazing fall of the bone flavor...and the pulled pork is heavenly, especially with the hot vinegar...but the absolute star of the show in my opinion was that Beef Brisket. I will be thinking about that for days, weeks, maybe months to come...it may drive my next trip back to NOLA.

What else? Well, the sides are all really good. Nothing legendary, but all really solid and good. Some advice for parties of 4 or more that like to eat, like ours...order off the front of the menu, labeled Catering Menu. We ordered a lb of pulled pork, a lb of Beef Brisket, a full rack of ribs, 4 pints of sides, and 4 beers, with Texas Toast...under $75!! We were eating the last bits after the bar that night.

I regret we didn't eat the desserts. They looked great. Oh, by the way, I didn't even mention the sauce. I now realize that I have always mistakenly judged a bbq place by it's sauce. That's until I ate here. The sauce is fine, especially on the ribs...maybe the pork...but to to put it on that Beef Brisket would be like putting ketchup on Filet Mignon. I barely used a drop of sauce at The Joint. It was that amazing.

5  Thank venice7771
Reviewed July 4, 2011

...you'll probably love The Joint.

The portions are very large and the cuts of meat are quality. Much to my surprise, the tossed salad was excellent. Turns out they make their own smoked tomato & onion vinaigrette and it is tasty.

This restaurant appears to be a local favorite, so I have concluded that smoked meat is considered "BBQ" in this part of the country. Again, if that's your thing then The Joint is surely someplace you don't want to miss.

2  Thank kym4639
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Food here was great. Large portions of tender, well-smoked meat. Sauce was very flavorful, and the service friendly. Yet another great BBQ meal in the South!

Reviewed June 24, 2011

My husband and I stopped in after reading the revies on Trip Advisor. Our GPS had us take a bit of a dicey trip. Don't be nervous of the look and remember BBQ is why your there. We had the "W" which we shared and it gave us a taste of everything (beef brisket, pork ribs and homemade sausage). I gaurantee you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank kruezers