“Elegant, exciting, trendy and sophisticated but not pretentious”
Review of Compere Lapin

Ranked #77 of 2,219 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighborhood: Warehouse/Central Business District
Neighborhood: Warehouse/Central Business District
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This restaurant is in one of the coolest hotels in New Orleans. The whole atmosphere is modern and trendy but still super cozy. Whether you are in a party of 1 or 10 this place will make the experience amazing for you. Their raw bar is to die for! I ordered the Conch Croquettes and the cold smoked tuna tartare and enjoyed every single bite. They serve you this glorious warm and freshly baked flaky bread with gourmet butter. The passion and pride that you see in the servers, chefs and bar tenders is contagious. They seem as excited to be there as you are. I sat at the raw bar and the chef was so dedicated to each dish even if he made 18 of those in 1 hour! I'll go back everytime!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The staff was attentive and helpful. Our waiter Gary has a quiet charm and provided us with helpful food recommendations. The signature cocktail shown in the photo in the rabbit container (?) packed quite a punch. Seafood was wonderful. Complimentary biscuits were delicious. Decor and ambiance warm and cool at the same time.

Reviewed June 6, 2019 via mobile

We had a couple of days in the French Quarter over the Memorial Day weekend, and after some research, decided that Chef Nina Compton’s Compère Lapin was a must-try for our mother-daughter trip. We took the advice of our host and waitress and ordered a wonderful variety of new dishes, starting with a hearty mix of appetizers and ending with dessert and coffee (come hungry!) My 10 year old absolutely loved her snapper entree (she normally prefers a steak over fish). I had the curried goat... and had to take half of it back to our hotel room fridge. (Tip: it’s absolutely heavenly the next day; the blended spices are even more profound)

If your children don’t have an adventurous palate, don’t fret: The table next to us also had a youngster and were offered modified children’s plates. (I was too busy enjoying our food to notice whether or not their child had something off the regular dinner menu or not).

If you’re driving, valet parking was less than $10 via the collocated Old Hotel 77 (pay for the parking at the front desk).

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed June 5, 2019 via mobile

This place got recommended to me by two foodies, so I had quite high expectations. The interior is really cool and different and the bar is really an eye catcher. We had lunch and my husband really enjoyed his , but my vegetarian pasta course was rather bland, so I was a bit disappointed with the course. I mentioned this to the waitress, as a matter of fact (I did not make a big deal out of it), but upon departure we got stopped by the rest. Manager and got offered a coffee/drink to compensate for my dish, which was a very kind unexpected gesture. This is a very nice spot and has an interesting menu, I think I just was a bit unlucky and would def. come back next time.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed June 3, 2019 via mobile

Tuna tartare was excellent. Shrimp in a spicy chili sauce was excellent and messy but they supply a damp napkins. Goat curry also excellent. Pig ears could have been crunchier for my tastes.

Extensive wine selection. However, the waiter seemed to be unfamiliar with pairings. We told him our general likes but a few questions regarding sweetness, etc would have helped. A sommelier should be on staff at such a restaurant.

The waiter’s suggestions regarding food were spot on. Very good coverage from the wait staff.

Very noisy in the front part of the dining room. While we were there a group of diners moved to the back because of the noise.