“Great food and drinks!”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stopped in here recently after walking through the French Market and we were glad we did! My husband and I split the steak nachos and they were delicious! They give you so many dipping options on the side, which is great. We both enjoyed our margaritas as well; I had the strawberry and he had orange and lime. The service was great because we were one of the few tables occupied at the time. We would definitely go back!

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I have been to the Destrehan and the New Orleans locations. Both have good food and service. It's as close to authentic Mexican cuisine without going to Mexico !

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I prefer more authentic Mexican restaurants, and El Gato Negro serves "Americanized" Mexican food: the kind that has been made a bit more bland in order to appeal to typical American tastes. The food here is fine, and if you are ok with this style of Mexican food, you'll be very happy. But the real reason to go here? The fantastic margaritas! Made with freshly-squeezed lime, orange, and pineapple juices...heavenly! The margaritas made the visit here totally worth it. The staff was super-friendly too.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

had lunch there couple times, hard working family running a clean, friendly restaurant. sangria is just out of world, food platers are not skimpy so price is right.I wear a 3x shirt so hard for me to find shirts. the waitress went looking and found a 3x reserved for football players. she let me buy it am now proud owner of el gato negro t- shirt can`t wait till next year.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I won’t be able to rate the food at this place because… WE WERE NEVER SEATED!

After reading all the good reviews, we decided to stop by this place for lunch. It was crowded, but not overly so. Once inside the door, a member of the staff told us to us to wait… and then, forgot about us. After that, we were told nothing. There was a line near the cash register, which may have been for something, but since we were being ignored, we just stood there and watched. We did notice that a couple waiting in that line asked about a table and were told that they were waiting in the wrong place, even though there were empty tables available. I think they left without being seated.

After witnessing that, seeing that there were available tables, and being ignored by the staff… we also left in disgust and had a good lunch at another Mexican restaurant down the street.